Introducing KameSame - a new reverse-Wanikani web app!

The key here is to understand that 丸い is more general than 円い. Thus, the first one is also accounting for 3D geometries and as such also means “spherical”. The second one is more 2D and cannot mean more than “circular”.
So to differentiate both, look out in the question whether the “spherical” synonym is written or not…

Created a KameSame account last night and found the following issues:

1 - The only way to refresh the KS app on Chrome is to close and reopen the webpage
2 - When more items in WK advance to Guru, KS doesn’t recognize this and update the lessons
3 - After completing a Review on KS, it shows all items at 0% successful after closing the review, no matter the actual results inside the review

1 - The only way to refresh the KS app on Chrome is to close and reopen the webpage

On which platform? Hitting command (Mac)/ctrl (not Mac)-R doesn’t refresh the page? What do you mean by this?

2 - When more items in WK advance to Guru, KS doesn’t recognize this and update the lessons

It will. It syncs your WK status every 24 hours. A manual forced sync feature is on my list

3 - After completing a Review on KS, it shows all items at 0% successful after closing the review, no matter the actual results inside the review

This is clearly a bug. Can you provide reproducible steps or record a video of this happening so I can understand it?

On which platform?

Windows using Chrome. It might be a errant bug report due to #2’s response. I was expecting immediate update with WK on hitting F5/Refresh.

This is clearly a bug. Can you provide reproducible steps or record a video of this happening so I can understand it?

Make a new account, perform first lesson to unlock Kanji, perform first Review, go to KS ‘Level’ page, scroll down to ‘New and Noteworthy’.

I suggest accepting katakana as much as hiragana is accepted. Or at least when it’s on’yomi. My keyboard fooled me with ゴ for 五 ^^

Also, I have troubles navigating the site. Sometimes we cannot do “previous” (mainly when it leads to other sites it seems).

I’m posting a pretty significant update today to how the Review tab works. It’ll print some statistics about your current review status, specifically:

• When you last cleared all your reviews (“inbox zero”)
  • When you completed your most recent review
  • How many reviews are ready (as a button), and if none, when they’ll be ready
  • How many reviews unlock in the next hour
  • How many reviews unlock in the next day

Also, if you have a review in progress and you exit, the UI now pops up at the top.

Here’s a demo:

Ah, I think I understand you. I have responded to this and changed the behavior of the second, third, and fourth lists.

• Frequently failed items will only appear if they’re failed more than 33% of the time
  • Reading reliant items will only appear if they’re over 20%
  • Likely leech items will only appear if they’re over 20%

That should make this less confusing to folks when they’re first starting, especially. And less discouraging when something you get wrong 10% of the time is said to be “critical”

I don’t think I understand you. Can you give an example item and the answer you think should be allowed?

Can you please clarify this?

The first thing seems to be corrected, maybe it was an issue on my side.

As for the second, here:

I think Katana should have the same treatment than hiragana (which in this case is accepted but not the best answer because obviously we want the Kanji) because that’s often how you will see on’yomis written, in the dictionary for example.
This is absolutely not crucial, it happened to me only once by going too quick, but could me misleading for some maybe?

Oh, but that’s a purple card so that indicates it’s a vocabulary item, not a kanji item. Providing the onyomi wouldn’t be correct. Separately while many words can be written in katakana for emphasis, it’s unusual/awkward in many other cases. I don’t think this would be a helpful change.

You’re right, my bad!

Just curious, I looked through KameSame briefly and didn’t see this option, but is it possible to reset KameSame without resetting my WK? I’ve decided that the way I’ve been using KameSame isn’t working for me, because I’m not really recalling the Kanji, but the reading, and then using the IME to find the Kanji needed for the answer. So I want to start using KameSame to also practice stroke orders at the same time, and was thinking that it might go better if I just start from the beginning.

I have a feeling the answer to this question is no there is no way to reset just KameSame, which is fine. It never hurts to ask though :slight_smile:

This is near the top of the backlog. I’ll may get to it this weekend.

No worries man, thanks for the quick response!

I think this is a more general problem. Of course you have to write the kanji on paper; KameSame can’t test your kanji production ability. (This is just the physical restriction of using keyboards for writing.)

Furthermore, you will also see that your proposed reading is wrong (when the IME doesn’t show you the desired answer).

For this reason, I prefer the way KaniWani works. It has an integrated IME that only produces kana, meaning you can only input the reading without getting any visual clues.

Feature-wise (“not this time” :smile:) and from the technical aspect (autosave :heart:) I like this app more, so I’m currently torn between KS and KW. I understand you wouldn’t want to make such a drastic change, but maybe you could implement an alternative No Kanji input mode as an optional setting? :blush:

I actually like the IME forcing me to search through the available kanji to find the correct one after spelling it out in hiragana. Right now, I don’t have a large group of kanji to work through, mainly a lot of ‘no idea what that kanji is’ and the one or two I do recognize, but I fully expect that later on I’ll be rooting through many kanji I recognize to find the correct one.

This is now implemented on the Account tab as “Reset KameSame”

If this is how you want to work, then I recommend unchecking “include kanji” in lessons, since you really only want vocab if all you want to test is readings. Beyond that, when it comes to vocab cards you can of course just answer every question by typing the reading and hitting enter—it’ll mark it correct without you hitting space to navigate through kanji.

Weekend who!?! you got this done so quickly thank you!

Thanks, this is what I do already most of the time. But still, I would have to tell my IME to not display any suggestions. At least on iPhone, I don’t think that’s possible.