Major Update #5: Levels, experience points, and updated home page
I spent most of my holiday break working on KameSame. 7 days and 71 commits later, I’ve merged in the XP system I’d been hoping to build since I first started work on KameSame in May.
Here are some highlights:
- Introduce a new level system. If you’ve been using KameSame, you already have a level, and now when you login you get to see what it is! There are currently 100 levels in the app, and reaching level 100 means you’ve burned the vast majority of content from WaniKani.
- You level up by earning XP during reviews
- XP is rewarded for each correct answer (exact or reading) that reaches a new maximum rank for a given item. For example if you get
大体 to SRS stage 4 for the first time, you’ll get roughly 20XP, but if you get it wrong on a subsequent review (SRS rank 3) and then correct review (back to SRS rank 4), you won’t earn more XP.
- You get an inline XP notification animation each time you answer correctly. This can be disabled in settings if you find it distracting or unmotivating
- Higher SRS ranks award more XP than lower ones
- The home page is completely redesigned. It now shows your current level, a number of statistics, and noteworthy items. Those are:
Started studying - lessons you completed most recently
Frequently failed - items you get incorrect in reviews most often
Reading reliant - items for which your correct answers are most often via the hiragana reading as opposed to the exact kanji
Likely leeches - items where you most often answer with an alternate match before ultimately getting it right or wrong. Items with lots of synonyms will show up here, as will items you might have a leech between two items
- Tons of little bug fixes to the SRS system and the stat tracking already in place
I’m sure there will be a few bugs here and there, but overall this is a massive release and I think it dramatically improves the usefulness of the app. Enjoy!
Animated review summary page:
XP + SRS rank notification during reviews:
New setting to hide animations: