KameSame - a fast, feature-rich Japanese memorization webapp

Hey thanks for saying it!

Just started using KameSame the other day I and I have one, hopefully small, request. I am absolutely terrible at remember which reading is which so sometimes I get the correct kanji via the wrong reading so I would the option to tell KameSame that I did not get the card correct.

Overall the service has been great and is a fantastic counterpart to WaniKani. Thanks for community contribution.

Thanks! A few people have suggested this and I understand the desire.

Right now the technical implementation for this would be difficult, so I don’t think it’ll rise to the top of the backlog soon

Understandable.

I’ve just added a new lesson sort:

This will sort all of the WK kanji & vocab by the search result count produced by Bing (via its Azure web search API). The production database is currently being seeded with search counts and should be done in the next hour or two. More on that sort order in this thread.

This is a very flawed way to sort items, but seems better than random, at least. I’m finding that lower level items are too simple and high level items are too academic, so it has me on a mission to find a better way to sort. Additionally it has me thinking about ways to add common words that are not in the WK curriculum.

Enjoy!

5 Likes

@searls Report. I currently use Mojave and Safari 12.0, my mouse pointer didn’t turn into beach ball anymore. I can happily use KS again on Safari without having to wait and see the beach ball before turning to the next item to review.

Really? Nice! I submitted several reports to friends of mine who work at Apple and a couple things to WebKit developers, and they were all pretty responsive. I’m going to be on my iPad for the next week, but after that I plan on circling back and rivisiting features like installable/PWA, etc, to see if they’ve fixed that stuff too

Hey I have a random request…

But let’s say I just want to do some random reviews. I don’t want to SRS anything. Just give me 100 words or whatever that I can randomly take a crack at, so no SRS required.

Between WaniKani and some of the Anki stuff I have, the last thing I need right now is another SRS routine (but I would like it in the future). I would, however, like to do some free-reviews here and there.

Would that be possible to implement?

1 Like

It is possible and I’ve been considering implementing it. Probably won’t get to it in the next few weeks but I plan to do a pop quiz feature like this

1 Like

Great website! I was wondering how long until a password reset feature is enabled?

Also:

Sadly, 「開発する」 does not mean “To Develop”. We were looking for 発展する (read as 「はってんする」) instead.

Sorry that’s been a lower priority for me since I really started the site for my own use and I haven’t needed it. If you have any account trouble feel free to email me and I’ll try to help. Howdy@kamesame.com

Can someone explain what’s going on here:

I have three hundred reviews to do in this first screenshot. I have 64 words in Apprentice which I thought meant that at least 236 words in my review queue must be in Guru. So then I do all the reviews and I think I only made 2 or 3 mistakes.

As you can see, I reduced the Apprentice number by 20 and increased the Guru number by 20.

What happened to the other 280 words?

They probably stayed in Guru. There are three tiers of apprentice and two tiers of guru. There are 9 SRS levels overall

Thanks. So it seems it took me almost a year to find out that Guru had two levels.
:sweat_smile:

1 Like

Major Update #3: Progressive web app (PWA) support for iOS

KameSame can now be “installed” like an app, which eliminates browser chrome, reduces the amount of keyboard show/hide jank, and confers permission to launch other app links (e.g. Midori & Japanese) without asking every time.

Demo:

I had to shelve this update for a while until iOS 12.0.1 was released and PWA support was good enough to be work-aroundable.

2 Likes

@searls Can you please make “Open in WK” link to a new tab when user answers incorrectly? Right now, KS only does that when user answers correctly. I know I can right click and open the link to a new tab. But I often do this, so having to do right cilck is a hassle for me.

What browser is that? AFAIK, the HTML for that link is exactly the same in both cases.

Opera Browser. Hmm… so desu ka. I’ll test it on my Safari browser later.

edit 1: I just tested it on Safari, it opens on the new tab! And I tested it on Opera again, it worked as expected. Never mind then. No problem on KS.

Maybe :thinking: I was referring to different KS link? like this link for example. I got there from review page. But I think it’s okay to click “Back” to go to review page.

Thanks for replying so quickly.

Yes, unlike WaniKani, KameSame is actually very resilient if you navigate away from the lesson/review page and then back to it. All of your progress is stored and up-to-date.

1 Like

How about Android?