Introducing KameSame - a new reverse-Wanikani web app!

Oh you mean like a button to revoke your own credit from the summary page?

Hmm. Interesting idea would be a lot of work though.

Ummm, dunno if I’m explaining myself wrong or understanding your reply wrong -I’m not a native english speaker-. What happened to me is that I typed the right answer correctly using kanji, but when I submitted it I saw the reading I was thinking was off. So, when I hit the button to go to the next review, that review goes to the group of “OK” ones. It would be nice to have a button to make if go to the group of KO ones so you get it asked again in the review series.

Thank you so much for making this! Finding it so so useful

I think I know what you mean. I’m not an English native speaker, either. :blush: I often do this to ease my search for the right kanji to input, but in my heart (or I could say it out loud if it wouldn’t bother any creatures around me if any) I say the right reading. For example, I’d type “ane” for 姉 instead of “shi” then search for the right kanji for “older sister”.

If your suggestion were implemented in the future, I think kamesame would feel like Anki (when I’m faced by an Anki card without a form to submit and I just hit “good” or “easy” if I know, or I can hit “again” red one if I don’t really know), because the correctness of an answer is really based on my honesty, not by the SRS like WK. In short, I want this feature too; I like it.

I don’t know if it’s good to consider Ghost feature like BunPro for KameSame, I don’t really know how Ghost mechanism work, because I didn’t really follow the English explanation about Ghost feature in BunPro. All I know about ghost is a card/item will come to me more often if I answer it incorrectly. So I think it’s good to squash leeches if Ghost is implemented in KameSame (inspired by madmalkav-san button idea). I could just focus using WaniKani and KameSame without Anki to fight my leeches.

UTF stuff:

囗 - U+56D7 - is marked as wrong for Mouth. KameSame expected 口 - U+53E3 -

the 56D7 codepoint is the box radical, not a kanji. How did you manage to type that?

I have a sneaking suspicion that some number of users with problems like these are copy-pasting characters out of WK or some other source rather than using their OS’s built-in Japanese keyboards. There’s nothing invalid about the former (as long as the character matches), but the intent of the app is to give folks practice typing on a normal Japanese keyboard / IME

I’m using Google’s handwriting keyboard for japanese. So your suspicion is totally right. But I think apps like KameSame or KaniWani + handwriting keyboard are a great practice.

Haven’t taken a screenshot (will try when I get this review again) but I got question about “long time”, to which correct answer is 久しい. I entered just 久, and then I got this message:
“Although 久 does mean “Raptor Cage”, we were actually looking for 久しい”.
“Raptor cage” is name of radical, but I think that you should rather get description from kanji…

In that case I’m not really sure what to do, since radicals are indeed separate characters. It seems like the Google handwriting IME is the one in the wrong here.

Thanks! This should now be fixed

I’ve been thinking about it and probably it is up to us user to get used to the annoyances of those keyboards.

If there was an easy way to hack in support for what you’re trying to do, I would, but there are too many radicals, and a lot of radicals deviate sufficiently from their single-radical kanji that I’m wary of it

Is that for Android or iOS? Looks pretty cool! ^^

EDIT: Oh, I see you have optimized the web app for mobile phones. GOT it. Cool.

Um, so I’m on a work computer and don’t have an IME, nor can I install one… Any thought of adding Wanakana to the code so you can have the IME embedded in the site (as WK does, as well as a few other scripts)?

This has come up a number of times, but at this time I’m not planning on it. A big reason for writing the app is to force production of words in a natural way (that is, with a real keyboard, producing the correct kanji). Using a JavaScript library that only generates kana isn’t sufficient for that, IMO.

I feel for people who work at places with locked down machines, but I’m sure the same places would have policies against doing WaniKani like exercises on company hardware & time anyway, so I’d just recommend using your smartphone.

Is there an easy way to know if a character is a radical? Like, some kind of flag, or all radicals being in the same range or something like that? If so, if an answer is KO, you can verify if any of the characters inputted is a radical and throw a warning.

By the way, I don’t know if this is really a good idea, I’m just considering if it is technically possible.

With enough time and energy, almost anything is possible. Yes, a program could figure out based on a table of code points whether a character is a radical and what kanji it would map to, but it wouldn’t be worth the time in this case IMO

You should maybe make the e-mail address non case sensitive. I could not log in for a while, until i tried to write my mail address with an upper case first letter, it seems that’s what I did when creating the account. Mail-addresses are usually case insensitive.

Good point, I’d been meaning to fix this.

Login is now case-insensitive and all email addresses have been downcased and stripped of any whitespace.

At least in the macOS IME, you can get the iteration mark by typing おなじ (同じ, which means ‘same’). Incidentally, 同 is the kanji from which 々 ultimately derives.

Every IME I’ve ever used has some facility to allow you to add words, so if you’d prefer to be able to type のま for 々, that might be something to try.

What about text prediction of the JP keyboards and IMEs, then? Doesn’t that somewhat defeat the purpose?

I see what you’re saying, but in my case it’s easier to have another browser tab open than to look down at my phone. (I work reception at a front desk.)

Either way, thanks for your response. I look forward to trying this out more once I get a new laptop.