KameSame - a fast, feature-rich Japanese memorization webapp

Thanks for reporting back! I’m currently fighting a couple macOS specific bugs that cause beach balls for me on every tenth or so review. Anyone else seeing this?

I’ll try out turning off live conversion and see how that works for me. Thanks!

Pretty huge update to the item detail views today (both the result pane after answering an update as well as the item detail page):

• Result text (e.g. “Indeed, X means Y”) will now actually render an item link, so you can quickly open the item detail (since KameSame is safe to navigate around and then go back to your reviews without losing practice, please give this a try). It’ll also link to any alternate matches. Example:
  • Kanji cards will now list all the known items that contain that kanji. Example:
  • Instead of printing a wall of text bullets for references, I’ve re-styled them as if they were app links. I also improved the call-out links to Japanese.app & Midori.app, while adding Bing Image search (which I find handy for disambiguating homonyms). Example:

Please enjoy these updates!

3 Likes

Thanks for the updates!

Thanks, amazing! I think I figured out how to enter it on my phone, but grateful for the mod :wink:

1 Like

Another cute update, the HTML title of the app will now update as you move around.

Included in this is that your actual score & item progress in a review session will populate the title like so:

2 Likes

Heads up to any Chrome users, I just fixed a really frustrating rendering issue that made all the Japanese characters in KameSame render as if the language had been set to english (and too thickly as well)

Just to be clear, you’re only using macOS Safari, right?

Yeah that agrees with what I’ve observed. I think it’s a bug in the interaction of Apple’s Japanese IME and Safari. I’ve reported it to some WebKit developers

Is there a way to submit bugs/feedback other than searching out this post? It’d be nice to have a “submit feedback” button on the site itself.

Just started trying the site out. As a minor nitpick I’d like to note that 御飯 should allow the spelling ご飯 by default. As of now it recognizes it as the same meaning, but not the same word. I added an alternate spelling for now.

1 Like

It won’t let me sign up for an account. I enter all my info including my API and I get this message:

I’ve tried to sign up using Chrome on PC and Safari on my iPhone

Hey, I’m really sorry about that! it’s possible that your API key was considered invalid for whatever reason, but I can’t know for sure right now.

If you’re comfortable mailing me your key I can look into it: howdy@kamesame.com

Thanks for making that spelling! I just marked it as official, so now ご飯 will be accepted for all users.

For feedback, other than this thread, I’d just ask you to e-mail howdy@kamesame.com

I manage my own backlog in a private github repo, which is (obviously) not easily shared, and while I consider all the feedback I get, I end up prioritizing and scheduling the work at my own pace. Thanks for understanding.

3 Likes

Hello! Just started using KameSame and it’s great, that is exactly what is missing in WaniKani.
I’ve noticed just one small bug - on homepage, there’s text, right now for me it says “You’ve started practicing the English-to-Japanese translations of 110 words out of the 95 words unlocked by Wanikani level 3.” (yeah, just recently returned after reset)
Shouldn’t it rather be 110 out of 205?

Whoops! I’m planning on revamping the front page next with some more visual ways to show progress, so that paragraph will be going away soon enough.

Thanks!

Quick usage update:

Users: 647
Lessons completed: 53,963
Review attempts: 212,514

Keep up the studying, everyone! :green_heart:

5 Likes

Ooooh, I love your app.

1 Like

Im not sure if someone has already brought this up or you already plan to work on it.
Setting to only test you on vocab words. Im not really interested atm for recall on kaji readings. The vocab readings is what im interested in.
Would cool to have a option to set vocab only.

Kaniwani only did vocab, though some people could have seen that as a bad thing.

Thank you for the app so far it has been useful ^.^

Just uncheck “include kanji” in the lessons page if you don’t want to include Kanji

2 Likes

Idk how I missed that lol.
Thanks

1 Like

Why does this sometimes happen?