KameSame - a fast, feature-rich Japanese memorization webapp

:warning: This is a third-party script/app and is not created by the WaniKani team. By using this, you understand that it can stop working at any time or be discontinued indefinitely.

KameSame’s server costs are about $80 per month, help cover them at our Patreon page

:wave: Hello, Internet! KameSame is a free Japanese learning tool that is designed to offer a fast, streamlined user interface and a robust feature set that provide users with a variety of ways to learn Japanese. Because it features a complete dictionary, it can be your primary Japanese learning tool for years to come.

Highlights

• Four ways to do lessons for over 10,000 kanji and over 180,000 vocabulary:
    • From a list (e.g. N5 vocabulary, Top 10,000 Words, or Level 11-20 WaniKani Kanji)
    • From your WaniKani progress [Requires WaniKani API Key]
    • From free-from Japanese language content (i.e. pasting in lyrics, transcripts, articles)
    • From searching for any item and starting a one-off lesson
  • Study both production (typing in Japanese) and recognition (providing English definitions) skills
  • Audio recordings for every reading of every word (around 300,000 recordings)
  • Keyboard navigation and shortcuts for nearly every user interface action (see them with / key)
  • A mobile-optimized Progressive Web App experience
  • Customizable Japanese spellings and English definitions for every word
  • An experience point (XP) system as you do reviews spanning 100 levels
  • Resource links for every word to other dictionaries, image searches, example sentences, and news articles
  • An “alternate match” system so that you aren’t marked wrong when you provide a Japanese word that also means what the system was expecting
  • One-click study actions like undo, mark-as-failed, learn/burn (and unlearn/unburn), skip, and block items
  • Every page is safe to reload the page and navigate back & forward in the browser history

Screencast tutorial

Here is a 45 minute walk through of basically everything you could ever need to know about the app:

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I type Japanese?

KameSame requires you to use a real Japanese software or hardware keyboard for production cards. The goal of the system is to teach you how to actually type words, kanji-and-all, exactly as you would in every day life. If you need help setting this up, Tofugu has a good tutorial on it.

Isn’t it cheating to produce a kanji by [typing X instead of Y]

No, it isn’t cheating. If you want to produce the kanji and you choose to type 委託 and then hit backspace to delete , that is not cheating yourself. You just learned how to produce a single kanji in an efficient way. This is something that Japanese people have to do all the time, too! Particularly because it’s a little unusual to be typing a standalone kanji, since that’s not how they’re actually used in language. That said, if you want to challenge yourself to practice kanji cards with a handwriting recognition keyboard, or by using your IME to look them up by radical or stroke order, feel free to do so. It’s up to you!

Major release notes

KameSame’s been in development for a little over two years now, so there have been a lot of updates over time:

Original Announcement Howdy everyone!

I just wanted to share this app I’ve been working on in my spare time:

https://www.kamesame.com

Here’s a demo of the initial release:

As a language-learner, I find that I hit a wall when I’m not forced to produce the target language when I’m studying. My conversation partners help, but I’m often scratching my head to think of the word I want, even in cases where I’d automatically be able to recognize the Japanese word and produce English (as WaniKani trains you to). So, for the last 18 months, I’ve wanted a reverse WaniKani app with a more robust UI and ruleset than the (very much appreciated) KaniWani.

In particular, KaniWani treats synonyms as “wrong”, when it’s just a matter of course that lots of WaniKani items all translate to something common like “Actually”. KameSame cross-references each intended meaning against all the synonyms it can find, so if you give a valid answer that just happens to not be what the app is looking for, it won’t count for or against you—the app just tells you what it was looking for and gives you another try.

I hope some of you will try it and find it useful!

Major Update #1: Search ## Major Update #1

Thanks to all the tremendous feedback in this thread, KameSame has come a long way in the 9 short days since the app went live. Lots of bug fixes, fine tuning, and tweaks. Today, I pushed the first major new feature addition: Search.

Here’s a demo of search:

It might not immediately be apparent, but I feel search is even more important in an app like KameSame than it is in WaniKani, because the problem KameSame solves is to help you answer the question “I know that I know word X, I just can’t recall it”, and enabling you to search for the word and in a single step add it to your review queue is a great way to ensure you won’t forget it again!

Major Update #2: Alternate Japanese Spellings ## Major Update #2

The most common large feature request so far in this thread has been the ability to create custom strings that KameSame will mark correct, just like the Meaning Synonym feature of WaniKani. In KameSame, I’m calling these “alternate spellings” instead, since they’re not synonyms so much as other acceptable ways to type a word or phrase.

Here’s a demo of how to use that feature from the item detail page as well as while you’re studying:

This feature also supports “official” spellings that I’ve manually marked as correct and will immediately apply to everyone. If you have any suggestions for official alternate spellings, please let me know (here or at howdy@kamesame.com) and I’ll review and add them. So far I’ve added a couple obvious ones: 見つける (for 見付ける) and 子ども (for 子供).

Major Update #3: Progressive Web App (PWA) / Add to Home Screen ## Major Update #3: Progressive web app (PWA) support for iOS

KameSame can now be “installed” like an app, which eliminates browser chrome, reduces the amount of keyboard show/hide jank, and confers permission to launch other app links (e.g. Midori & Japanese) without asking every time.

Demo:

I had to shelve this update for a while until iOS 12.0.1 was released and PWA support was good enough to be work-aroundable.

Major Update #4: Account Management & Password reset ## Major Update #4: Account management & password reset

Since I wrote KameSame primarily for my own use, I didn’t bother with a bunch of typical things you might expect, like:

• Field validation that name isn’t blank, email is unique, or that WaniKani API is valid
  • Ability to change name, email, or password
  • Ability to update WaniKani API key (if you regenerate it)
  • A password reset feature

Well, KameSame has all of that now. It was every bit as annoying and laborious as I expected. Check out the new goodies in the account page:

Major Update #5: Levels, experience points, progress page ## Major Update #5: Levels, experience points, and updated home page

I spent most of my holiday break working on KameSame. 7 days and 71 commits later, I’ve merged in the XP system I’d been hoping to build since I first started work on KameSame in May.

Here are some highlights:

• Introduce a new level system. If you’ve been using KameSame, you already have a level, and now when you login you get to see what it is! There are currently 100 levels in the app, and reaching level 100 means you’ve burned the vast majority of content from WaniKani.
  • You level up by earning XP during reviews
    • XP is rewarded for each correct answer (exact or reading) that reaches a new maximum rank for a given item. For example if you get 大体 to SRS stage 4 for the first time, you’ll get roughly 20XP, but if you get it wrong on a subsequent review (SRS rank 3) and then correct review (back to SRS rank 4), you won’t earn more XP.
    • You get an inline XP notification animation each time you answer correctly. This can be disabled in settings if you find it distracting or unmotivating
    • Higher SRS ranks award more XP than lower ones
  • The home page is completely redesigned. It now shows your current level, a number of statistics, and noteworthy items. Those are:
    • Started studying - lessons you completed most recently
    • Frequently failed - items you get incorrect in reviews most often
    • Reading reliant - items for which your correct answers are most often via the hiragana reading as opposed to the exact kanji
    • Likely leeches - items where you most often answer with an alternate match before ultimately getting it right or wrong. Items with lots of synonyms will show up here, as will items you might have a leech between two items
  • Tons of little bug fixes to the SRS system and the stat tracking already in place

I’m sure there will be a few bugs here and there, but overall this is a massive release and I think it dramatically improves the usefulness of the app. Enjoy!

Home page:

Animated review summary page:

XP + SRS rank notification during reviews:

New setting to hide animations:

RailsConf Presentation about creating KameSame ## Not an update but still cool!

So I’ve been busy on other things so far in 2019, but one of them was actually to build a conference talk about my experiences creating KameSame, which I’ve now finished and performed at RubyKaigi in Fukuoka and RailsConf in Minneapolis.

If you’re interested in my thinking about KameSame and some of the things I learned while making it, I’d love for you to check it out on Vimeo:

Would love to hear from you if you take the time to watch it! :sparkling_heart:

Major Update #6: Incorporation of 180,000 JMDict dictionary words ## Major Update #6: KameSame incorporates all of JMDict's vocabulary

Ever since launching KameSame I’ve had a problem. The pattern repeats like this:

1. I’m watching a TV show, listening to a podcast, or having a conversation in Japanese and I encounter a word I don’t know
  2. I fumble between one of half a dozen translation apps to look it up
  3. I confirm it is, indeed, a word
  4. I do not learn the word

Because I’ve become so hooked on specifically Wanikani and KameSame as game-ified, authoritative, and (most importantly) pleasant-to-use user interfaces for memorizing Japanese words and concepts, here’s what I’ve always wanted to be able to do (and as of today, we can):

1. Hear a new word
  2. Open my KameSame PWA from my phone homescreen
  3. Search for the word
  4. Click learn
  5. Type the word and get it into my SRS queue

That’s right! KameSame’s search engine now returns not just WaniKani’s content, but everything in JMDict as well. What’s that mean for you and your weekend? Well, for starters, if you type “pants” into the search, just check out how many words you can start learning:

It doesn’t look like much, I’m sure, but accomplishing this has taken over half a dozen major preparatory features over the last several months (e.g. decoupling the concept of an item from WaniKani, removing reliance on a WaniKani assignment for creating new study cards, etc). But this has really been a ton of work and I can’t wait to start dumping some of the 712 items I’ve been saving in Japanese.app for the last two years into KameSame and actually, finally, learn them all.

While I’m going to develop KameSame at the same pace either way, I really appreciate anything you’re willing to contribute to our Patreon account to help defray the server costs. They’re steadily rising with usage and approaching ~$100/month, which I expect might increase with the added heft of the JMDict corpus.

[By the way, if you’re not familiar with JMDict, it’s the basis for just about every software-based Japanese-English dictionary. I remember studying Japanese in college and relying on Jim Breen’s WWWJDIC, which at the time was easily the best online searchable dictionary and — while other tools like jisho have a slicker UX, just about every tool in our ecosystem is based on JMDict’s incredible corpus of content. :tophat:'s off to them!]

Major Update #7: Practice recognition skill as well as production ## Major Update #7: The un-reversed WaniKani edition!

Phew, this one was a lot of work. Up to now, KameSame has existed as a “Reverse WaniKani” tool, but once I started using it, I really wanted to be able to use KameSame for words that weren’t part of the WaniKani corpus (hence pulling in JMDict’s 180,000 words in Update #6). As a result, however, any words you study in KameSame from JMdict will be a little one-sided—I’m already finding that there are words I can recall in conversation thanks to KameSame but literally can’t read when I see them on signs or in articles due to a lack of recognition practice.

To recap these terms, in KameSame:

• Production: English prompt, Japanese answer
  • Recognition: Japanese prompt, English answer

So! With this update, you can now study your ability to recognize Japanese words by providing a valid English meaning. There is a lot to unpack here, so let’s start with the feature and work backwards to setting it up how you need.

Studying recognition skills

When on a recognition card, the study UI does the obvious thing and swaps English for Japanese:

You provide the right English response, and you pass the lesson or review:

That’s about all there is to that. When you complete a set of reviews that encompass multiple skill types, the results will be annotated with A and badges to indicate whether they were recognition or production skills, accordingly.

Recognition and Production as separate cards

In WaniKani, we practice both meaning recognition and reading production, and the two are a “package deal” for purposes of tracking your knowledge of an item. If you get either wrong, you fail the whole item. The item isn’t complete until you get both right.

KameSame works differently. For the skills you have enabled, each one is learned and then tracked completely separately. It’s possible to have burned recognition on one card while still an apprentice in production, for example. You can see your progress towards each on the item summary page:

Settings

Enabling and disabling the feature

By default, recognition will be enabled for all users doing ad hoc & content-based lessons based on your enabled types (e.g. if you have vocabulary enabled but kanji disabled, only vocabulary recognition will be toggled on). However, if you’re sure you never want to practice recognition with KameSame, you can disable it entirely from the accounts settings like this:

Screen Shot 2019-12-31 at 2.03.09 PM

Batching by question type

If you don’t have “Batch studies by type” enabled in settings, I strongly urge you to turn it on as a quality of life measure:

Screen Shot 2019-12-31 at 2.04.01 PM

When enabled, you clear all of your reviews that require an English keyboard first, allowing you to toggle back to a Japanese keyboard for production just once per session. If you’re using a physical Japanese hardware keyboard or otherwise comfortable toggling rapidly between keyboard modes, maybe experiment with turning this back off for greater surprise/variety during your reviews.

Learning recognition of WaniKani items

Even though the overall feature is enabled by default, you will still only get production lessons via the WaniKani lesson interface unless you opt-in to study both, since you (presumably) are already getting recognition practice for the word using WaniKani.

Screen Shot 2019-12-31 at 2.08.02 PM

No such thing as too much practice, though!

Implementation details

There are a few consequences of this feature you may or may not notice:

• So as not to make it too easy to earn a weekly star, each star requires 50 lessons across unique items each week. So if you learn 50 production cards, you’ll get your star. If you learn production & recognition for the same 49 items, you won’t earn your star even though you’ll have completed 98 lessons.
  • There are no “reading correct” or “alternate match” answers for recognition cards. Just right and wrong.
  • Like WaniKani, you don’t have to type a recognition answer perfectly to be marked correct. The typo distance is relaxed as the meaning gets longer so you’re not having to sweat typing really long meanings too carefully
  • Because many JMDict items have long parentheticals in their definitions (e.g. “To run (to a store, etc)”), the scoring mechanism will accept either an exact answer or an answer with all the parentheticals removed. That means if one meaning in JMDict is “To travel (in a vehicle) away from (your own) home” then “to travel away from home” will be an accepted answer

Next steps

This feature is going to necessitate a lot of follow-on work over the next few months. I imagine we’ll need to:

• Clean up the home/progress page to differentiate different skills across items (right now you’ll see duplicates) [Update: :white_check_mark:]
  • A synonym (“alternate meaning” to go along with “alternate spelling”) system so that you can type shorter, more memorable meanings—also tie these back to alternate matches of production cards, potentially [Update: :white_check_mark:; they’re called Definitions]
  • A vocabulary list feature, featuring either or both of curated and custom lists to study from. I’d like to make it really easy to start plugging away at the top 10,000 words, for example. Same goes for studying all the words by JLPT level. [Update: mostly :white_check_mark:, see below]
Major Update #8: Study from curated lists ## Major Update #8: Learn lessons from curated lists

Today’s a big day and represents the culmination of months of toodling about refactoring KameSame’s data model to enable more general purpose language study than merely being a mirror of WaniKani, without (a) stopping being that, or (b) sacrificing any of the speed or function of the study/quiz UI to do it.

Starting today, the lessons tab will kick off with lists to study words from. For now, there’s 1 list, based on the 10,000 most frequent words assembled by NINJAL. But soon after we’ll have JLPT N1-N5 vocab lists added. Eventually, we’ll add a KanjiDict import in addition to JMDict so that we can also have N1-N5 kanji lists to work from

Here’s what the feature looks like:

If you expand the details view, you can see just how many items you’ve started and their progress, to get a better idea of how close you are to completion:

I’m really excited about this and think it’s going to blow the doors wide open to people being able to use KameSame for general language study.

Future plans

• Enable sign-ups without a WaniKani API key; require the key only to use the WaniKani lessons feature (which depends on your assignment status to determine unlocks)
  • Allow users to create custom lists
  • Allow users to report problems with lists (for now just email me
  • Make more lists
  • Make the lists more good
Major Update #9: Undo review answers, Mark items as failed

Major update #9: Undo review answers & mark-wrong after the fact!

Two huge, frequently requested features just went live tonight. All these features only apply to reviews, not lessons.

Let’s break it down

Fail-after-the-fact

I added a “Fail” button added to the results screen, so if you get an answer right or if you get an alternate match and realize you really don’t know the answer, you can click Fail and KameSame will roll back your previous answer and then apply a wrong answer to it, as if you’d gotten it wrong in the first place.

For example, say I answer 意外 but the word KS wanted was 思いげない. If i know I don’t know 思いげない, I can save myself the hassle of waiting to see it again, getting it intentionally wrong (so that KS records the failure), only to ultimately get it right. Instead, I just click fail:

And if I click back in the browser, I can see that it was overwritten with failure data:

Undo answers

Now this one is really interesting. If you answer a review incorrectly (suppose there’s a synonym that you hadn’t added yet, or you just mistyped a character), you can now undo your response, and the card will be rolled back as if you hadn’t answered it yet. You can also undo correct answers and alternate matches as well, though I imagine that’ll be used less often.

The button is on the right side of the review action bar:

And if you hit back in your browser after undoing, you’ll see that the results have been scrubbed:

However, there’s a catch! The most important thing to me (other than maintaining integrity of our data, which was tricky), was to prevent myself (and by proxy, you) from abusing this feature by marking a bunch of wrong answers as correct after the fact.

So, how does it work? Well:

1. If you didn’t fail the review, you can undo your answer as many times as you like. Feel free to undo all the correct and alternate match answers you want

2. If you failed the review, you must use what I’m calling an “undo credit” to rollback the response and get a second chance at answering it correctly.

And how do undo credits work? I’m glad you asked!

1. Every user starts out with 3 undo credits. Once they’re used, you can’t undo any more answers for failed reviews

2. For every 50 reviews you complete, you’ll earn 1 additional undo credit.

3. You can carry a maximum of 3 undo credits at a time.

Here’s what this looks like in practice. Say I get “sneeze” wrong, like this:

I’ll see a 3 next to “Undo” and if I click it, I’ll see a 2 the next time:

Once these credits are exhausted, the jig is up! You’ll have to do more reviews to earn more credits to avoid failing reviews mistakenly.

Major Update #10: Keyboard shortcuts

KameSame now features a great many keyboard shortcuts, which you can find by hitting the / key on your keyboard. In study mode, the modifier key is CTRL for Apple platforms and Alt for non-Apple devices:

In addition to these keyboard shortcuts, j and k also navigate to next and previous items in most pages of the interface, highlighting major sections and buttons on each page, where tab and shift-tab can be used to highlight other UI elements like forms and links.

These shortcuts allow you to navigate and use the app entirely without a mouse in the vast majority of cases

Major Update #11: Audio recordings ## Major Update #11: Audio!

Hey team, fun news! I’ve built an integration between KameSame & Amazon Polly (which added Japanese support a few days ago) to generate native pitch accurate audio for EVERY READING OF EVERY WORD in KameSame.

It’s currently processing the corpus now, but this is going to end up being about 300,000 recordings throughout the app.

Here’s a video I posted to Twitter: https://twitter.com/searls/status/1248804987259555840?s=20

For now the recordings are on the item page, but I’ll be adding them to the question result pane as well. I’m also going to make sure we have keyboard shortcuts for playing them!

Major Update #12: Premium features! Unlimited Undo & Audio Autoplay ## Major Update #12: Premium features! Unlimited Undo & Audio Autoplay

Yesterday, I introduced Patreon contribution syncing to KameSame. If you have an active pledge on the KameSame Patreon, which exists to help us cover our hosting costs. If you get value out of KameSame, I hope you’ll consider contributing something—all the features described below are available without a minimum contribution in mind.

If you register both Patreon & KameSame with the same e-mail address, KameSame will now recognize this in the Account page:

If you click the link or scroll down to the bottom of the main settings area, you’ll see two new options:

Here’s how they each work.

Unlimited undos / Configurable undo credits

A lot of people have been clamoring for unlimited undo for a long time. While I personally wouldn’t recommend it (when you cheat, the only person you’re cheating is yourself!), I’m really sick of fielding e-mails, DMs, and replies to this thread about it.

So here, you can set various maximums (from 3 to 50), or you can set unlimited undos, or you can effectively turn off undo functionality entirely:

The number of available undos will still appear on the action button:

Note that the system does record every time you use Undo, so I may surface some statistics in the future about how often you use it!

Autoplay audio

This one is more straightforward: you can check to autoplay audio now:

When this is checked, audio of the intended card will play after every single lesson and review except when you stumble on an alternate match, because we don’t want to give away the identify of the card (the same reason it is fuzzed out in the results page).

(If you get an alternate match completion (the yellow card), the audio of that card will play; since you’re studying it, and it’ll be the only time you see it during that review session.)

259 Likes

macOS High Sierra 10.13.5
Safari 11.1.1

Every time I type a character in any field of the sign up page, it gives me a script error.

Interestingly, it does not happen on Chrome or Firefox.

Thanks! If you could try again I just wired up some error reporting. Thanks!

1 Like

Great app, I’m having lots of fun with it! Shocking the number of things I thought I knew but really don’t. As a suggestion, would it be possible for it to ask only for items that are Guru’d and above? I think it’s fair to not be expected to think of a word I only just unlocked this morning. Besides which WK sometimes has this hiccup where a vocab is noted as unlocked even though you haven’t come across it in lessons yet, and I’ve had one such item pop up so far.

6 Likes

So far I’m loving it. I always had a hard time with KaniWani because the way it deals with kanji with similar meanings, and this nails it for me. I just found something during lessons: when you get wrong a vocab (could be kanji and radicals too, haven’t tested it yet), it shows “see 「undefined」” instead of “see 「」”, same with “Look up 「」”, but creates the link correctly (WaniKani / Vocabulary / 最近, bottom left), so it could be a typo in the code.

Great job!

2 Likes

I also really love the app but also agree that starting with guru ‘d items would be better, I take a while to go through my lessons and everything in the queue is showing up in KameSame before I’ve studied it here.

Otherwise everything works well and i feel this will help with my reading speed when encountering stuff in the wild.

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback!

Right now the information I pull from your WK account is very very minimal, just your level, really, which is why you’ll get items in KameSame that you haven’t unlocked in WK yet. I was trying to really nail the mobile UI first and then tighten the integration.

A lot planned:

• only enable KS lessons for WK unlocked items (I’ll consider guru as suggested here)
  • load user synonyms from WK and display them in the quiz. Also add them to the (sprawling) list of alternative matches
  • gracefully update the KS corpus of WK items on some batch interval. WK will frequently change and even delete items and falling months out of sync would confuse people
  • search! The item view page contains a lot of info on it, but there’s no way to find an item except to complete a lesson on it. I want search to work in KS with permalinkable item pages that link to lots of resources (jisho, tatoeba, WK) and allow users to yank specific items into their review queue when they know they struggle with a word
  • revisit the pure random shuffling. I think weighting both what lessons and reviews get queued might help and to keep a limit on the number of WIP items are currently in review to prevent overwhelm
  • in lesson feedback, include feedback on the new SRS rank of the item (trying to decide if this is good or bad motivationally)
  • add styling to error notifications (right now if your login fails, it just prints unstyled text at the top of the page)
  • allow users to change & reset their passwords
  • allow users to change their WK API keys (potentially hazardous if they inadvertently switch WK accounts and their level drops)
5 Likes

But I’m also having a hard time with similar items in KaniWani so this looks very promising.

Are you planning to include more specific controls about what will show up as lessons? Such as reviewing only items above a certain state (e.g. only burnt items) or enabling only one level at a time? Otherwise it might be a bit frustrating to start using it when you are not in one of the lower levels anymore. This is one of KaniWani’s most important features for me.

1 Like

Good point. I think making this configurable is probably the right choice, and I think the right place to do it is the /lessons page, instead of account-wide. So instead of just choosing a number of totally random lessons, you could choose number plus some criteria (like: ‘at level’, ‘unlocked’, ‘guru’, … ‘burned’; with the likely default being ‘unlocked’ or ‘guru’) and that way only pull into review what you want.

7 Likes

Hello! I tried it out, it’s a great program, thank you for your hard work! I will definitely use that alongside my Wanikani studies from now on ^-^

Just a question: The card for Yen exists twice: once it wants you to put in ~en and once just the kanji en. I was wondering if that had a specific reason? It is kind of confusing ><

Really looking forward to how this site develops! Thank you ~

2 Likes

I have only played around with it for a very short while, but I like it so far. I do also agree with all the feedback given so far - those features would be really great!

One other thing I noticed: I clicked the link for a WaniKani vocab page expecting it to open in a new tab. It opened in my current tab instead, overwriting the lesson. I could back up into the lesson with no problem, leaving me where I left off, but if I go down a rabbit hole of doing research on the side, my lesson would likely be lost in the shuffle. So perhaps an idea to open the links in different tabs?

Thank you very much for sharing your hard work!

1 Like

Hey Omun, in general I default to leaving links target the tab/window the user’s on (since every browser has a way to manually open things in a new tab). However, in an “app-ey” display this can be jarring, so it might be better to have most external links open in a new tab (even though I’m proud of how well KameSame deals with history and session persistence so far!). I’ll think about this.

Thanks for asking! KameSame doesn’t build its own curriculum, rather every item it tests you on comes straight out of WaniKani, which has items for both 円 and 〜円.

There are a handful of lessons (like this one) that don’t make a ton of sense, so I think a reasonable feature for KameSame would be to block certain items from showing up in lessons (and any of the 〜… items might be a good start)

5 Likes

Well, thanks a lot to everyone in this thread for feedback. Between error reports and feature requests, we now have a pretty long backlog to prioritize!

5 Likes

No errors this time. Form now works on Safari. Thanks!

1 Like

Great first day of activity in the app so far. I’ve got a long feature list to work on, and in the meantime I’ve fixed the first half dozen or so bugs reported here and caught by our bug tracker. I hope folks keep finding and enjoying KameSame while I iterate on it

1 Like

@searls Could you add the reading to the result page. Especially on mobile, where kanji generation and autocorrect are mixed it is easy to type the wrong reading and still get the right result (and sometimes the other way around).

Given the webapp nature the only way to refresh the count in the top bar seems to be reloading the entire page. Not a drama but surprising as switching to different menu items (e.g. home) did not.

Another idea would be to quiz for readings explicitly. Quizing for them separately would help ensuring that you really know both by heart. Given the rather limited value add, I understand if that is not interesting though.

1 Like

I was getting kinda annoyed when kaniwani said I was wrong even though asking for the word mother/farther for example can have two different answers as taught by wanikani.
Im going to try this out then.
Thanks for sharing it with us!

Edit:
Something I noticed is when I get a answer wrong it only gives me the kanji for the right answer. Would it be possible to show the furigana if answered wrongly? That would be really helpful. Is nice that it links to jisho though.

1 Like

I think this is a good idea, since producing the word might not be made much easier if you have zero idea on how to pronounce it (though clicking through to another resource in that case might be better). I’ve added this to the backlog.

Iiiinteresting. Will have to give it a try.

Question: My WK subscription is up in a few days. Kaniwani has a feature where you can pause automatic syncing with WK before your subscription is up, so you don’t lose access to vocab in Kaniwani. Do you have/are you planning to include this option?