Intermediate Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: セーラー服と機関銃

I agree 100% that it’s something that needs to be addressed.
However, I think first of all it’s natural that a lot of people drop out. I think the fact that it’s online (which obviously we can’t help) doesn’t help at all since there’s no one to remind you, no physical appointment or meeting that is being missed or anything the like.

From what I’ve been reading (which, granted, probably isn’t a lot) it feels like people are dropping out because they either can’t keep up and it gets too discouraging or the material is too difficult. Both of these are obviously problems that need to be judged by the person themselves and I think sometimes it’s hard to do so without actually reading.

So maybe like a grace period of a few weeks (or page count) for people to gage whether the book and reading speed works. And if the gap in reading speed is too big, maybe we could, I don’t know, have a group that progresses faster and one that is slower. I get that essentially if you’re slower you can just read at your own pace and then just go back into the threads to fill any holes, but maybe it would be quite nice to actually have a group that reads at a similar speed.

So I suppose what I’m getting at is like a trial period. That way the variable speed method that someone suggested (forgive me, I forgot who and where it was >///<) could work quite well as well.
But this is again dependant on readers being honest about what they can and can’t do.

4 Likes

This sounds like the ramp up approach that we’re going to try for 時をかける少女. Start at 5 pages a week for a couple weeks, then 10 a week. Then later have a vote to decide whether or not to increase to 15 a week.

3 Likes

Essentially, yes.
I think it might be worth considering making two schedules if the gap seems too big between the fastest and slowest readers (Just so slower readers have a schedule to follow as well, rather than being left to their own devices, which will hopefully prevent some people from quitting out of frustration or discouragement)

2 Likes

So, I gave light novels a try. I have to look up around 25-30 words in 2 pages. Now, I am perfectly fine with this, I don’t care if reading a single volume will take me months. But, I am wondering if this is the best use of my time. I’m in college right now, so I don’t really have any serious time constraints like mostly people do. But, still I was thinking if it’d be better to maybe use my time doing something else. The thing is I feel like this is essentially what’s left for me to do, increase my vocabulary. WK is making me learn Kanji and my grammar isn’t bad(using bunpro for that anyways), if I find something new, I just look it up, but it rarely happens.

Would love to know the thoughts of more experienced people.

Reading is the fastest way to improve one’s vocabulary. Looking up so many words can prove to wear and one’s nerves, but if you think you can do it, perhaps you should try using floflo as a supplement? For example, study the vocabulary in advance and then start reading. This will probably reduce the amount of time it takes to look things up while you’re reading.

I would recommend an easier book if you feel like all the time spent looking things up is wearing you down. What are you trying to read?

転生したらスライムだった件
I don’t think floflo has this book. Also, it’s because I chose this book that I’ll be able to keep up with the slow pace. If it’s some other book, I might get bored. Also, I don’t think I’ll burn out.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure @Raionus takes suggestions for the floflo patreon(but I don’t think you have to be a patreon just to suggest a book) polls(about what books to add) in case you want it to have a chance at being added at some point.

1 Like

Ah, that’s nice, when do the polls happen?

Every month.
Next one will be around the beginning of November, and finish around the 20th of November.
(So end of November is the earliest you can get it).

Just received my copy of 時をかける少女 :tada:

At the same time, I commanded more book. I do believe it’s cheaper that way.

I won’t get bored for some time.
What do you mean I still have 3 and a half book to read. More is better right?

4 Likes

I wonder if overlord will ever get on floflo :thinking:
(The only thing I know about it is that it didn’t get picked there :p)

1 Like

Overlord is sooo good. I want to be able to almost fully understand japanese before reading it though. This one is more my reward than a practice. Btw when do you guys want to start to read 時かける少女。 just to be sure i’m not on another book by that time and to start in advance in case i’m busy. I believe it was in December right?

1 Like

Not sure actually. Maybe mid November? It’s probably somewhere in the beginner book club thread.

It’ll be towards the end of November. It was selected by the beginner book club, so make sure you’re following that thread for updates.

1 Like

Maybe if a 3rd(?) person requests it we can get it on another poll? :slightly_frowning_face: I’m going to go back and finish the first book before it’s added at this rate.

1 Like

dabs after 3 months

6 Likes

Boi, the title still says “looking for recommendations”.

7 Likes

I recommend resurrecting the book club at a slower pace. Does that count as a recommendation?

7 Likes

That’s like the last major conversation that happened here, months ago :stuck_out_tongue:

But yes, I think the pace should be set to allow a smoother transition from the beginner club.

2 Likes

Since the thread was resurrected anyway, I’m just going to quickly mention that I still feel the same way. I vote for the “minimal difficulty” option pretty much all the time in the beginner book club now :sweat_smile:

3 Likes