Intermediate Japanese Book Club

I was planning to read it anyway, so I guess I may as well read it with all the other people who intend to do the same.(In other words, I’m expressing interest. In reading. In reading 時をかける少女, more specifically)

No, the kindle e-reader app has both a Japanese monolingual as well as Japanese<->English dictionaries that one can choose to use. Not to mention a translation function, just in case the word is a conjugated and therefore doesn’t register in the dictionary. If it were a just a Japanese monolingual dictionary, I wouldn’t have even bothered to suggest an e-reader as an option. :expressionless:

Right now, I have taken a break from the book clubs though I’m still active on the forums as that I have other books I’m currently reading that I’d like to finish before the end of the year. With those and what I have to do in my normal life, I don’t have much time to dedicate to be as active as I would like to in a book group. (i.e., I’d be even worse than when I participated in the Beginner book club’s 魔女の宅急便):grimacing:

A lot closer to non non biyori than Nausicaa.

Nausicaa has characters using formal speech, stiff grammar, plus others using slang and broken speech. Plus hardcore vocabulary (which I do enjoy, by the way, but that’s just me). As manga go, I’d say it’s advanced, indeed, but not the most “advanced” I have seen (Gunnm last order would take that spot). A dedicated intermediate reader could go through Nausicaa, but it’s going to be more work than fun (Well, that might be fun in itself, though, depends on the person).

ご注文はうさぎですか probably fits the “intermediate” category, as it would be painful for beginners, but it does not reach the intensity of something like Nausicaa.

I’m up for reading any book, so that includes 時をかける少女.

Ah, that’s handy! Does this work on any kindle, even one bought outside of Japan? And do you know if it even works on other Kindle Readers, like the one on Windows?

I still have to figure out how to order Kindle books from amazon.co.jp. It won’t let me right now because I don’t have a Japan address set, so I suppose I should just put a random address in at some point…

Oh, it sure is painful. :confounded:
(But still lots of fun :blush:)

I have a Kindle Fire (purchased from the US) and Samsung Galaxy (purchased in Japan), On both devices the Japanese<->English dictionary were available for free on the e-reader app. Though it’s not as good for finding entries for conjugated forms, if you can guess what the dictionary form is, you’re also able to look up words manually without leaving the app. I can’t speak for the Windows app, since I never used it (and because I didn’t know one existed until now).

Initially I had that problem with my Kindle Fire, but provided that you have your device registered using your amazon.co.jp account (if you don’t you have to factory reset/or reset the registration, in the case of a phone app), you can at least purchase books (via your PC) to be sent to that device. That is, once you input an address to allow you to purchase books. If you’d like to make purchases directly from your device of choice, you must put the Japanese address you have registered on your account as the main address, otherwise it won’t even allow you to make even free downloads on to your device. The downside is that you can’t access your other Amazon libraries when your device is registered as a Amazon.jp account. Although I understand why, it’s really kind of silly considering changing the account registration is the only thing preventing you from accessing one library or the other.

So let’s say I have the device registered with my amazon.co.jp account. Are you saying I can purchase books from my computer at that point and send them to the device, even if the only address on my account is in the U.S.? Or are you saying I still need a Japanese address, just that I don’t need to make it my primary address to order from my computer?

This. I’m not sure if you’re able to purchase books for the Kindle app via Amazon,jp without a Japanese address at least on file. It doesn’t have to be your main shipping/account address, though. I know at least this because I had trouble downloading free stuff on my Kindle Fire despite living in Japan and having a Japanese address on file (I had a US address as the main due to using a US credit card). I had no problem ordering books and having them sent to my device however. (Hopefully that makes sense).

Beginner Japanese Book Club (NOW VOTING | Currently Reading: 時をかける少女)

Did you read it in original language? That’s really impressive! I have started a book of his short stories in Japanese, easier for me. Would you be interested in reading that?

I read several of his books in translation before.

Okay, thanks. I’ll give that a shot. I already own a physical copy of 時をかける少女, but the kindle version is cheap right now, so maybe I’ll get that too so I can directly compare them.

Now to find a random address to use from Google Maps. :grin:

The Kawabata was interesting but the vocabulary was way above my level.:neutral_face:

I actually think that sounds very reasonable. That way, it might also be easier for people like me wanting to move from the beginners book club to something more challenging without having to stop in the middle of a book (or manga in this case).

That sounds good to me. thank you so much for organising this for us as well. I’ve seen the film and am really excited to read the book. In fact, I might order it already.

Also I think the flexible pacing that has been discussed sounds awesome. That way, it’s possible to gage the difficulty level and sensible pace for all of the reader for each book specifically. Should be good.

Just know that the film is very loosely based on the book. It will have different characters and (I assume) a largely different story.

just gonna leave this here

I did, but I wouldn’t call it impressive, I guess? I picked the book a bit at random, and decided to read it as practice for the N1. It felt much easier than expected, mostly thanks to his writing style, I think. I have to admit that I was exhilarated when I could just read the first page and understand it. Kind of “holly cow, I’m doing it”
I have come across much harder stuff since then, though (e.g. 図書館の魔女 with its bs words that are supposed to be mimic characters talking in latin). So not quite there yet, I guess, but I’m working on it.

Hm, it depends. I’ve had both good (秋の牢獄) and really bad (red nightmares) experiences with short stories in the recent past. If it’s picked by one of the book clubs, sure.

I just wanted to mention that some paces aren’t meant for everyone. Like now I can read most volume of manga within a week so just 10 or even 25 would feel painfully slow for me. Since I have little experience with novels I might need a slower pace at the beginning before I get used to things and can start going faster, and it depends from novel to novel as well. Here’s the first pages of the novelization of “Your Name” and “Accel World” for example.

Your Name

Accel World

As you can see Your Name is clearly much easier than Accel World so the pace would obviously be much faster. I’m not sure what could really be done about this since you can’t accommodate everyone so some people wanting to join book clubs might not bother because they’d feel left out.

You know maybe if we can find a book at the right level, we should try 多読 rules.

Instead of slugging through the book and stoping to look up words, we just skip them. And instead of deciding on how many pages to read, we’ll decide on how many minutes to read(per day or week). That way, everyone should approximately be on the same page since we’re skipping words we don’t know. It might take some trial and error, but just to be definitive we’ll approximate the average reading speed and have certain dates that you should have made it to whichever page/chapter. We could even revive the discord or hangouts and have people read together every day or week and have different channels for different time zones.

And then maybe every week after you’ve completed your tadoku exercise, you can then go back and re-read to look up words you didn’t understand. Maybe this can be done as a group on voice chat to make that process faster since you’re already spending a certain amount of time on 多読.

This method would work best if you know most of the vocab I think you have to know about 80-95%(dont quote me) for it to be effective. So we should also be using that vocab site by @Raionus, (i forgot the name) So maybe spend 10-15 minutes on vocab learning, and then 15-20 minutes on tadoku reading.

This way, we can keep people reading and learning. They won’t go as slow and we should generally be able to keep up with each other by spending the same amount of time reading. People should be less likely to fall behind, and less likely to give up. 30 minutes on reading every day or every other day is a lot more solid than reading 10 pages a week because you don’t know how long those ten pages will take, and saving the searching of vocabulary until after the fact will also speed up the progression of completing the book.

What do you guys think?

ALso the official tadoku rules are:

1. Read easy books.
  2. Don’t use your dictionary.
  3. Skip over difficult words, phrases and passages.
  4. When the going gets tough, quit the book and pick up another.

For rule number one, we’ll say books within or right above our level, and for 4 maybe if the whole group decides a book is boring we’ll collectively vote to impeach it. If you’re in the minority, then either ganbarimasu, or just sit out for the next book. And for 3 and 2, we’ll do a first run following them, and then re-read it again if you have time and feel like it.

It’s floflo.moe :ok_hand:

It seems like there’s a really long period where people are just waiting for other people to get the book delivered to them. If you were to use Floflo consistently during that period then that would probably help a lot as far as the 多読 aspect of the plan is concerned. Like, just learn as much as you can during the waiting period and then let loose once the book club starts or something.

I have read a couple of pages of Your Name, and it’s totally doable. It’s obviously also easier since I have seen the movie and therefore am already familiar with the plot.

Right, the 10 and 25 numbers given were referring to novels. That would be incredibly slow for most manga. Because novels are generally much denser than manga, it can easily take 5-10 times longer to read a page of a novel compared to a page of a manga (though obviously it still depends on the novel or manga).

Absolutely, but I think the issue was trying to find a pace that would facilitate more people being able to take part, as there are several people keen to move into reading books, but you don’t want to make it painfully slow for existing book club members.

Hence the suggestion of dynamically increasing the number of pages over time, which is exactly designed to help with that hump at the beginning, as you described.

I don’t know… won’t people’s different reading speeds have a huge effect on this? I’m not averse to trying it, but even if you did this in people’s native languages I think you’d end up with big disparities :thinking: I suppose also having targets on certain dates would balance it out.

I agree that pre-learning a load of the vocab would help a lot, and facilitate that approach.