Intermediate Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: セーラー服と機関銃

As @LucasDesu said, the other book club is a non issue for me. Also, I am planning to finish the manga they are going to read today or tomorrow (it’s available for free online for a limited time :stuck_out_tongue:)

About this club, though, I don’t really know. I am planning to read Sword Art Online after I am done with Shin sekai yori. Some others expressed interest in reading it too (actually @TamanegiNoKame is already reading it). So we could just go with that?

Otherwise, we can put a poll up, but I’m afraid that no one is visiting this thread anymore…

Actually, let me try something:

• I am currently reading along, and plan to continue with the club
  • I am currently reading along, but will not join for the next book
  • I am not reading along, but would like to join next if possible
  • I am not reading along, nor planning to join, but I like lurking and answering polls (the poll thread option)
  • Other?

0 voters

3 Likes

さすが投票マスター :rofl:

Yeah, I’ve seen people were interested in reading Sword Art Online. I personally am not going to read it (partly because I am not interested in that series and partly because I want to read a simpler book). That’s ok though, I can read キノの旅 with @Heiopei in the meantime (or any other book from my pile of books waiting on the shelf :smile:).

Thanks for the tip, I’ve already done that on Saturday :grin:

2 Likes

I did buy the book we are currently reading, but decided to save it for later and focus more on the lower groups popping up, closer to my proficiency level. I’ll probably return here later, and read some of the books I have already (all the books we have covered since we started last year =P I finished 2/3 of the first book we did, previous book I did the first few stories only, this current book I just decided to save for later)

I guess I joined mostly cause the beginner group didn’t exist at the time, and I would rather try than just assume it was too hard. But for now, I will stick with the beginner, Yotsuba, NyanNyan and the planed Aria groups, lol! :wink:
Also reading my own material on the side =P
So who knows? Maybe by the next next book I’ll be ready to try again =^_^=

2 Likes

Yes, I’m sorry. I’ve been very busy with my summer classes I’m sorry. Sometimes I come here to write an explanation but I just get filled with all this anxiety and dread and I don’t say anything. I know it’s not that serious, but I’ve always struggled with anxiety. Anyway, I’m sorry for not putting the poll up, and I’m sorry for not reading along with the group. I love the devils a part-timer and it made me really sad that I couldn’t participate. I still have this hope that after this week, and in the week before my fall class start that I can still binge read it. I don’t know yet though because I’m kind of burnt out from everything going. I shouldn’t have taken all these classes, my dog died a slow and painful death because my mom wouldn’t believe me when I said something was wrong and take him to the vet. I just don’t feel very well at all, and I kept coming here to say something, but I guess it wasn’t until someone acknowledged my absences that I was finally able to speak.

Where is the option for planning to binge read :sweat_smile: Anyway, I don’t want to disappoint or influence the vote that much since I keep falling off reading the books. I know its not that serious but I just had this feeling that I don’t deserve to have a say if I keep falling off reading the books. I wouldn’t want to read SOA, I personally want to watch the anime first so I’d rather put up the poll. But please do whichever the collective desire turns out to be. If you all don’t mind, I think I’d like to take a back seat for a minute. Again I’m sorry for neglecting my responsibilities in this group.

1 Like

I’m sorry if that mention upset you, I didn’t mean to blame you or something. That’s totally understandable that you have your own life and sometimes you have to prioritize one thing over the other.
Just my opinion, but I think you shouldn’t take this club too seriously. I mean, it should be fun for you and if you feel obligated to do something when you don’t want to do it or don’t have time for it - that’s no fun.
Anyway, I hope you’ll be able to cope with your problems and when you have free time will be able to join the reading. Just take it easy, one thing at a time.

6 Likes

It sounds like you are having a rough time. I’m sorry to hear that.

As @NickNickovich said, don’t worry about things here. The point is to have a good time, not add extra pressure.

Take the time you need, and come back when you feel like it.

Well, the way you read is up to you :slight_smile: In the beginner book club, I binge read the book, but still count it as following along.
If you don’t find that satisfying, the other option is indeed the best :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I too am sorry to hear that you have been stressed. Just focus on taking care of the important things and the book club stuff will be there. Now that there’s a reading subcategory we have several reading groups. Mainly thanks to your initial idea :grinning:

So don’t ever feel bad because we’re always happy to see people when they are able to participate and cheering for them to do their best when they have to take a break.

2 Likes

Some time ago, I got myself a copy of “the little prince” in Japanese. I have not checked the difficulty but I am pretty sure it should be fine. If you are interested I could take a photo of a page and upload it :slight_smile:

That could be a nice next read for the book club

3 Likes

I’ve got two books at home that I am motivated to read, RDG: Red Data Girl Book 1 and the 12 Kingdoms’ first book Tsuki no Kage, Kage no Umi… Unfortunately I don’t think there are ebooks for either of them, but I am not 100% sure. Also I think they probably qualify for the advanced N2/N1 level.

I am really slow and erratic, so I have been working on Kiki for a year or so. I start a lot of things reading-wise and struggle to finish them. Until I decide to commit 110%, I won’t be able to keep up with the pace that the Book Club has set, and I’m okay with that (also I keep missing book discussion times, and I need to figure that out ASAP), but I understand it’s frustrating when you need regular members who are tracking with you.

Great suggestion, and it’s also available online: http://p.booklog.jp/book/39671/read

The Neverending Story could also be interesting (it’s much longer though), the coloured Japanese version looks awesome.

2 Likes

So, wait, we never solved what we were supposed to do.

• Poll again, with all previous options plus the new ones
  • Poll again, with the new options and the winner from the previous poll
  • Poll again, with the new options, plus the short list from the previous poll
  • Poll again, only with new options, scrape the previous poll
  • Do not poll again, read the selected book and keep the new options for next time
  • Other?

0 voters

I loved the anime 12 kingdoms (it was the second anime series I’ve seen) and I want to read the whole series at some point. For now I bought first two books (the one you mentioned, it’s actually one book in two parts).

I read 魔女の宅急便 at the moment too. I’ve read about 2/3 of the book and I think that it’s absolutely horrible for beginners. No wonder many people from Beginner Book Club dropped it.

1 Like

It was definitely bad for the group, but I’m curious what about it you thought was horrible for beginners. Just the difficulty or something more than that?

There are quite a few places where it is very hard to understand what’s going on and there is no way to infer it from the context. I think it’s kind of a style of this book: author chooses to concentrate her attention on one thing and any other events she just “mentions” and quickly goes on without further explanation and if you don’t get something from this “additional” episode, there is no way you get it later. So overall it can result in very “fragmented” understanding of what’s going on. (sorry, I don’t know how to explain it properly)

The fact that it is a book for kids also doesn’t make it easy to read for learners, because of the “children’s language”.
Many pun-like onomatopoeia that we as non-natives just can’t get.
Lack of kanji that have been mentioned many times.

3 Likes

It’s been a while since anyone’s has posted here, but I’d like to do things right and state my intentions clearly. Earlier in the thread, I said I would take a break from the next book, but seeing how groups are splintering now, I’m not sure if there’s even a group anymore seeing the lack of activity on this thread. With that being said, I think I’m going to continue reading on my own.

I wanted to thank everyone who participated in the beginning for helping to push me into reading more in Japanese. If it weren’t for this group, I don’t think I would’ve progressed so much with my Japanese!

Special thanks to @Iwasneverhere for putting the group together!

I hope everyone continues to read. And please share any books you feel are worth reading.

4 Likes

Yeah, that was pretty much my feeling as well.
I like reading books and talking about them with people, which was my original motivation to join, plus the fact that it would force me to read stuff I usually would not. But there’s no real point if there’s no conversation.
Instead, I’ve been mostly reading on my own, while participating in the beginner book club :slight_smile:
I also made one of the splinters you are talking about, and it’s been satisfying so far.

I would love to hear recommendations too!

Speaking of which, I finished reading the first book of 新世界より a couple weeks ago, and it was pretty good. Definitely on the harder hand, though.

5 Likes

I know this is old but I just wanted to say don’t worry about it, it’s not your fault really it’s my own anxiety.

It does seem this group has been dying for some time now. Most of the people on this site seem to fall in the beginner category so we’ve been losing our members to the other clubs. Well, it was fun while it lasted and I’m very grateful to everyone that participated. I too would not have made it as far in my reading practices if not for this group. I hope one day when everyone makes it to beginner/advance we can revive the group.

Thank you again everyone :blush: Good luck in all your reading endeavors.

8 Likes

Hey everyone, so I’ve been following along with the beginners book club, but decided to maybe try the leap into the intermediate one for their next book. However, it seems that there’s quite a negative vibe going on (e.g. it seems like it’s not going to be a thing anymore) so I was just wondering, is there going to be a next book or is the intermediate book club on hiatus or completely gone?

This might be stupidly phrased and I apologise, but yeah, just wanted to double check.
(Also there’s this question about new level divisions floating around in the beginners book club, does it maybe have something to do with that?)

When did this come up?

I want to say hiatus. I’m quite busy so I don’t mind the break. Also activity level has always been quite low from the beginning, and now that we’re competing with the beginner club this club’s activity has hit rock bottom.So much so that no one is really pushing for a poll or voting in them. If you want, you can maybe start a poll to see if people are still interested. Even if there’s two or three dedicated people I think that could be beneficial.

I think I should be free by December and wouldn’t mind deciding on a book to read with you then.

2 Likes