Intermediate Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: セーラー服と機関銃

Yeah, the voice connection on Discord was very poor so we decided to try something else. I made a Google hangout since that had been mentioned before, but that apparently requires you to install a script in order to make calls. The script download gave me a lot of trouble and wasn’t really worth the hassle; perhaps Skype would be a better option next time if Discord continues to act up.

As for the call itself, we took turns re-reading the 3 stories for the week and checking vocabulary/grammar points as we went. I managed to pick up on some new things during this read-through; mostly vocabulary words that hadn’t registered my first time through. So yeah! I think it was a success overall.

1 Like

Hey everybody. I was just looking through the next book to see how we’ll break it up for reading and noticed an issue. “The Devil’s a Part-timer” is divided into 3 distinct sections. I can think of two options we can pursue in order to tackle this issue, however.

1. We can just assign X amount of weeks to each section and discuss at the end of those periods.

OR

1. Each section has natural breaks between one scene and the next. We could break each section into smaller sections so that we have more regular discussion on the thread.

I know it’s a bit premature to fuss about this so early (we’re still about 6 weeks away from starting this book), but I just noticed this so I didn’t want to forget about mentioning this and then we have to scramble at the last minute to put together a schedule that works for us. Whenever you get a chance share your thoughts on this.

2 Likes

I feel like 2 is the best option.
Considering the participation for the current book, I feel that self-organization like “X weeks to finish the part” means no post for X-1 weeks, then a bunch of messages going like “sorry, guys, I had no time to read” or “well, I finished reading it, it was okay”.
At least, option 2 means that there is some regular activity, and people who are too busy can just lurk, but hopefully will get motivated to follow along anyway.

2 Likes

I’ve been reading through it a bit and find the vocabulary to be a bit more difficult than the current book so I think option two would be better. Give everyone an incentive to read more frequently and help people unpack some of the denser passages, rather than letting people self regulate, which will lead to not finishing.

3 Likes

Sorry for jumping into your book club topic, but I wanted to get some opinions.

A book (series) I think could be interesting just by the premise is called 空ろの箱と零のマリア (The Empty Box and Zeroth Maria). I think it’s still beyond my level right now, but I was curious if anyone here thinks it would be doable for the intermediate book club or if it would be too hard. Thanks. :slight_smile:

Summary from the English version on Amazon:

Kazuki Hoshino treasures nothing more than his ordinary life, and March 2 should have been an ordinary day. The arrival of a transfer student, the mysterious Aya Otonashi, shouldn’t have shattered the world he knows. He’s never seen this girl before in his life, but she says she’s met him thousands of times–and declares war on him for a crime he can’t even remember… As the truth begins to unravel, nothing is as it seems, and at the heart of it all is a wish powerful enough to change everything…

eBook with a 立ち読み:

3 Likes

@LucasDesu
Yeah I think option 2 sounds good.

@seanblue
I have no idea actually. I feel like I’m willing to tackle a book of any difficulty. (not because I think i’m really good or anything but because I want to challenge myself to get used to reading difficult things while I have the help of the club. ) it seems mostly the beginner book club makes sure to have really easy books, while we just try to read whatever sounds the most enjoyable without being impossibly hard. In any case to me at least, your book sounds enjoyable to read and not impossibly hard so I’ll add it to the roster for the next poll.

Oh yeah guys, @Raionus is developinga tool that analyzes the text of a book and produces a vocabulary list for it that syncs with wanikani and keeps track of you learned works from coredecks and other books on his site. So it shows you a list of words that are unknown and if you really don’t know it you can srs it and known words can be trashed and you’ll never see them in another list again. So it sounds pretty cool for vocab building and could help us read our books faster and eventually become a lot more literate and proficient at reading novels. But he(or she but I think he’s he), wants to link the discussion threads on his site so they have to be put in a public section as right now they’re in campfire which is private. Are you guys okay with this?

• Yes, old and new threads can be public
  • Yes, but only new threads from now on should be public.
  • No, keep it all private.

0 voters

Not even sure if you can move private threads to a public section but I’ll try it if you guys are okay.

2 Likes

The general idea is that I’ll put the books on my website and anyone can access the vocabulary list. In exchange, I’d be linking the discussion threads so that anyone reading in the future can read them. If they have problems, say, with a sentence or something they could go through the old thread and see if anyone provided an answer to the questions they had.

I guess it’d be like being able to listen on past bookclubs. Obviously, this might feel like a privacy invasion if I just linked stuff without permission.

I wouldn’t exactly call Kiki’s Delivery Service easy. :sweat_smile:
Many people probably voted for Kiki’s Delivery Service because they’d heard of or seen the movie and didn’t put much thought into the difficulty.

I won’t vote in the poll because I don’t want to influence the outcome if I’m not sure I could keep up. But if it happens to win I’ll at least buy the book (and probably the English version too) and try my best to follow along.

1 Like

Oh I know it isn’t easy, I think they thought it was easy because it was studio ghibli, but it seems anime like books are actually more difficult because it’s father from the formal Japanese taught in text books. It’s kind of hard to decipher the difficulty of a book because it depends on vocabulary, N level, and what you’re used to seeing. But for the most part I think the beginner book club’s goal is to find easy books. I never really thought that would work out much because once you leave graded readers books aren’t really made to be easy (unless it’s a children’s book, which are Japanese child easy not language learner easy) so you might as well Just pick a book you want to read and work through it. But hopefully, they find a book that fits their grammar and vocab level.

2 Likes

Yeah, I don’t mind at all. For the longest time, I thought the book club was in the “Japanese” category not “Campfire”. I’m not sure if it’ll be helpful since only No. 6 has the questions pertaining to grammar and understanding the content. The other two threads contain mainly our opinions about what we’ve read. If anything, the beginner book club threads would be most useful for that case.

Secondarily, what’s up with the user I’ve never seen before in the history of any of the book club threads voting in the poll? :face_with_raised_eyebrow: (Perhaps they changed their username and avatar)? :thinking:

@seanblue, just from the description of the book I can’t tell what the difficulty of that book is, but I’m of the same mind as AngelTenshi. I’d like to improve my reading skills and am venturing out to read anything I find interesting.

1 Like

(Just to explain my choice, since I only joined recently, I don’t feel I have a say in whether old stuff should be made public or not; I’m not against making it public)

2 Likes

@Iwasneverhere

I went ahead and added red nightmare. I noticed that there’s ten members in the group but only six voted. Should I wait for them to respond before I start linking the discussions?

2 Likes

peeks in I don’t entirely understand the entire context of why we would make the book club threads public, but I’m just gonna point out that there’s already been discussion about which forum section to put the threads in and I remember a mod explicitly saying that the Book Clubs belong in Campfire. So if the threads were to be moved I think a mod would have to be consulted first, and even then I’m not sure they would allow it.

Also hey, so about this week: Would @Nath or someone else who’s already read the next batch of stories mind picking a focus story for this week? I can come up with the discussion questions, or maybe several people could contribute. I could pick the focus story randomly but, maybe someone who’s actually read them could weigh in :laughing:

2 Likes

That’s a good point too. I do agree that the JBC feels “campfire-y”.
Well, making an account with WK may feel like an extra unnecessary step, but it’s free.
After that, anyone can come check campfire… @Raionus could just add a disclaimer with the link…

Sure, I’ll just post it in the other thread, then.

1 Like

No, I asked them to add a subcategory for the book club so all the threads could be in one place. (like wanikan>feedback) I wanted either a Japanese> Book Club, or Campfire>Book Club) They never said it had to be in campfire, and I think it would be weird for them to say something like that now. Unless you’re talking of a different conversation in another thread? Do you have the link to this?

I would put them in the grammar section since most of the help questions are on grammar and context.

2 Likes

Sorry I missed this, it seems everyone is okay with it and I will try to move the threads in a couple hours.

@Raionus @Snowflying
Okay so I moved the discussion threads for No.6 and red nightmare. You don’t need the main thread (this one) moved do you? It was pretty simple not hard at all to do.

As far as I remember I don’t remember a mod telling us to keep our thread in the campfire section, and I searched for it and couldn’t find it, or I didn’t use the right keywords. I wouldn’t think they’d be that worried about it but I’ll move it back I guess if they say there’s a problem with it.

1 Like

I remember a comment from a mod saying “The book club is in the campfire where it belongs” or something to that effect. It was about having a separate place, but they specified campfire in the answer (if I remember correctly, this was a long time ago). I assumed it was on this thread, but couldn’t find it either… Maybe ask someone? But then again, worst that can happen is that they move them back and tell us “Stay there”

1 Like

Maybe this was different, but last year it was proposed to petition for our own subcategory, but that was rejected. I don’t remember an issue with the category being specified by the mods, though. And even after digging through the previous posts related to this book club, I couldn’t find anything. So if there was a declaration about book clubs needing to be Campfire, it had to have been prior to the creation of this book club…

Yeah, I couldn’t find it either. And it was just their way of saying no to sub category, so might not have been meant strictly to stay in this place anyway.

I think I remember where it was! The beginner book club, after someone brought it up again * goes of to look * … or not… We have so many different threads of similar topics =P

1 Like

Here’s the post I remember seeing. It happened when someone in the beginner book club asked why the request for a separate subcategory had been denied:

3 Likes