Intermediate Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: セーラー服と機関銃

Here’s the next book’s link. You’re free to ask questions if there’s anything you don’t understand, but try to avoid engaging in discussion about the stories until the next week.

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

Kk, I went ahead and updated the first post with the link to the Discussion Thread! Seems the book-buying info is also out of date; I suppose I can update that as well.

Discussion leader volunteers! So far we have:

@LucasDesu
@riccyjay
@Iwasneverhere
@TamanegiNoKame
@Snowflying (lol forgot to volunteer myself)

Thanks for volunteering! Is there anyone who’d like to go first? Otherwise, any preferences for which week you go? Just let me know and then I’ll put together an official order.

EDIT: Not sure if anyone needs it anymore but book purchasing info updated

3 Likes

I’m a bit busy this week so would prefer not to do this one, but I’m happy to go next.

2 Likes

I’ll go first since I’ve already finished the stories. I’ll write down what the focus story will be on the other thread.

2 Likes

Sorry it’s late guys, The poll will close 1 week from today. I believe we agreed to do only one round from now on? Correct me if I’m mistaken, or on any mistakes I made on the poll. Since this book is so long we have time to do a re-poll if there are many complaints or if mistakes are found.

• バトル・ロワイアル(Battle Royale)
  • ドアD (Door D)
  • スイッチを押すとき (When I push the switch)
  • スピン (Spin)
  • はたらく魔王さま! (The Devil Is a Part-Timer)
  • 窓ぎわのトットちゃん Totto-chan: The Little Girl at the Window
  • 日本人、ここがステキで、ここがちょっとヘン(Dear Japanese People: This country is wonderful, this country is a little strange)
  • おおかみこどもの雨と雪 (Wolf Children: Ame and Yuki)
  • 時をかける少女
  • 君の名は
0 voters

Title: バトル・ロワイアル (Battle Royale)
Japanese Level: ??( apparently the movie is rated ☆☆ on Japanese levelup)
Genre: Death game
Synopsis: a class of junior high school students is taken to a deserted island where, as part of a ruthless authoritarian program, they are provided arms and forced to kill one another until only one survivor is left standing.
Why it might be a good choice:

• It’s a classic in the killing game genre, so it should be pretty interesting and engaging.

Why it might not be a good choice:

• It’s pretty long
  • Unsure of it’s difficulty.
  • No kindle version

Title: ドアD (Door D)
Japanese Level: ☆☆
Genre: Psychological Thriller

Synopsis: Yuna and her 7 university tennis club friends were kidnapped and woke up in an unknown room. With only one locked door, and water filling into the room fast, they must figure out a way to escape before they all drown.

There’s a lever that opens the door. But it only holds the door open while pulled. One person will have to remain.

And this is just the start. Through a series of death trap rooms, and chances of survival slim, each other’s humanity will be tested. Will the group make it out alive? Will anyone make it out alive? And what awaits upon getting through the final door?

First Page:

• It sounds interesting, it’s a psychological Thriller. What more you can ask for, am I right?

• It has a Kindle version

• And apparently easy Japanese

• 絶望

“A lot of 山田悠介 (Yamada Yuusuke)’s works get highly criticized online because his ideas can seem a bit outrageous and his writing is way too simple. The fact that his works sell so much despite this negative criticism just fuels even stronger criticism” - the guy who wrote the article describing the book

Source

Title: スイッチを押すとき (When I push the switch)

Synopsis: In order to stop the increase in suicidal youths, a disturbing government project was enacted. Chosen youths are separated from society, sent to facilities and put in general isolation where they are to live out their lives and be monitored nonstop.

Children are given switches, and when pressed, they are able to kill themselves. Their activity, when and what causes them to press the switch, is watched and studied.

Youhei is a new worker at one of the facilities and put in charge of a rare example. 4 children who have bared the isolation for 7 years, and still have never pushed the switch, despite everyone else around them having already done so. After getting to know these children, and their reason for living, he makes it his mission to save them, and get them out of this insane experiment. Will he succeed, or will they give in to the hopelessness of it all and finally decide to leave this world?
First Page:

• Interesting
  • easy Japanese

• might be a sensitive topic?

Title: . スピン (Spin)

Synopsis: 6 young guys who met on the internet, but never in real life, decide hey want to “shock the world.” There plan is to simultaneously hijack 6 buses in 6 cities and head to Tokyo Tower to meet up for the first time.

Shuichi was just fired from his part time job. He also just narrowly escaped after a shoplifting attempt due to his frustration with the world. The store clerk chased him out of the store, but Shuichi narrowly escaped on a bus. A soon to be hijacked bus.

What is the fate of the 6 buses, all the passengers on board, and poor Shuichi.
First Page

• The premise just sounds halarious to me.
  • Should be interesting.
  • Easy japanese

• ??

Title: はたらく魔王さま! (The Devil Is a Part-Timer)
Japanese Level:???
Genre: Comedy

Synopsis: Do you want fries with your hellfire?

Being soundly thrashed by the hero Emilia, the Devil King and his general beat a hasty retreat to a parallel universe…only to land smack in the middle of bustling, modern-day Tokyo! Lacking the magic necessary to return home, the two are forced to assume human identities and live average human lives until they can find a better solution. And to make ends meet, Satan finds gainful employment at a nearby fast food joint! With his devilish mind set on working his way up the management food chain, what will become of his thirst for conquest?!

• Funny as hell
  • I read it a little, it seemed easy but you never know.
  • If you’re tired of the dark stories and want something light

• Some people don’t like light novels.
3 Likes

I’m fine going third since it seems like we’re going in that order.

1 Like

(Full disclosure: I bought 働く魔王様! already :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: )

2 Likes

Haha. I was thinking I might read that one either way. I think it is the most interesting choice on the list probably.

3 Likes

Discussion Leader Order

1. LucasDesu (Feb 25 - Mar 3)
  2. Snowflying (Mar 4-10)
  3. riccyjay (Mar 11-17)
  4. AngelTenshi (Mar 18-24)
  5. TamanegiNoKame (Mar 25-31)

@riccyjay and @Iwasneverhere I’m really sorry, would you mind if I bump you two back a week? Turns out the 5th week falls on the week I’m moving countries, so that would really be impossible…the week before that is also not ideal. :sweat_smile: Also @TamanegiNoKame would this week work for you?

4 Likes

No problem. Good luck with your move! I’ll be doing the same in a couple of months and the amount of stuff to get done is terrifying.

2 Likes

Ahaha thanks so much for the encouragement, I really need it :sweat_smile:

Best of luck on your move as well!!

1 Like

I am moving the week before I am supposed to discussion lead, so assuming everything goes fine, I will hopefully be set up by then (though probably still relatively busy getting the hang of teaching). I can’t promise that I will be able to, but I will try my best though.

2 Likes

Cool! I loved the anime is was hilarious and I hope it wins rather than kimi no na ha. I already saw the movie while I liked it I think it’s way overrated and don’t care to experience the story over again in written form. But whatever is whatever. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Okay, np, I think that should be fine!

2 Likes

Oh you too!! No pressure, just let us know if it starts to look like you won’t be able to do it. Here’s hoping it all goes well for ya :grin:

1 Like

Can i go after TamanegiNoKame?

Yes please, that’d be great!

Updated the order in the discussion thread.

Hey people! Been more or less uninvolved directly in the Book Club but I’ve been following on and off in the background since it started. I was just wondering if anyone ended up sticking with No 6 in their spare time? I’m currently on book 7 and was wondering if I’m the only one who couldn’t stand not finishing it.

Gj i’m still at book 1 :sob: I don’t know how you can read that fast.(I’m prob just slow) I bougt the 6 first book so i’m gonna finish them but not sure when.

You’re not slow. To be fair it’s the only thing I’ve been reading recently. And it gets exponentially easier as all the same topics and words keep coming back. Let me know if you stick with it and wanna discuss it!