Intermediate Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: セーラー服と機関銃

Have you read any fantasy by Brandon Sanderson? If not, I highly recommend Mistborn as well as The Emperor’s Soul (a novella).

2 Likes

Yes, I read the Rithmatist, and I did read the first mistborn Book. I liked them alright, but I hope for both of them the second books are better. But this year I’m planning to read the way of kings by him.

1 Like

I wouldn’t say people weren’t interested, just that it was not fitting, considering the purpose of the book club. I feel it should be made into a separate topic – I’d join if you or @QuackingShoe make it.

5 Likes

The way you isolated it, I sound so cynical. XD. I’m okay with it not being a fit for everyone, but the idea seemed just as dead as the last one I proposed. So I got a bit happy someone else wanted to try it.

1 Like

I liked the original Mistborn but it also works really well as a trilogy. Way of Kings is good, but very slow and very long. The second book in the series, Words of Radiance, is far better and the third book, Oathbringer, is better as well. It’s still worth reading though, and the series as a whole is very good so far.

1 Like

I feel like What I really like is his world building skills, but I do feel like he drags the plot along. I didn’t feel the plot was draggy for the rithmatist, but the protagonist was left pretty much with the same problem in the end that he had in the begging and it was unsatisfying. For mistborn I felt like it was too long or the pace too slow, but honestly I couldn’t think of What I wanted him to to do different. I think I just couldn’t click with it I suppose? So I would never call it a bad book, but I was looking for something else from it.

A lot of authors I love also love the way of kings, so I really want to like it. I’m going to try and read the three books before dropping it, but If I’m not really taken away by his books again I think Brandon Sanderson is just not for me. Which is a shame because all the fantasy readers love him, I’ll be the odd one out.

Another series of his worth trying is The Reckoners. It’s YA so less world building, but faster paced. I just finished rereading it and it’s a ton of fun.

2 Likes

That was not my intention! :open_mouth: I was just highlighting what I was specifically replying to.

A thought that just occurred to me, by the way, relative to

Maybe the hypothetical thread I mentioned could be the missing advanced book club? If feel that people who can understand 90% right off the bat could be indeed described that way :laughing:

7 Likes

That indeed sounds advanced. I hope you can eventually get enough people to do such a book club!

1 Like

It feels unlikely that people with that level would join WK (although, it’s obviously non zero). Then, they may not be interested in joining the book club.

I feel our best bet is just to nurture members from the (absolute) beginner club all the way to advanced.
If things go well with the current intermediate book club, we could seriously make it next year (2020). Plus, we will be finally done with Aria, so that might free some time for some of us :wink:

(Of course, if the focus is only 多読 rather than an actual book club, we could get enough people already; as we would have to find something that match everyone’s skills, people can just focus on graded readers or manga depending on their abilities) Or VN if they are named after an ice cream flavor.

6 Likes

I’ve been meaning to say I support the advanced book club idea for a while. Reading through some of the text from the nominations has made it pretty clear that there’s a bit of a gap between the easier end and the more difficult end of the books that we’d like to read. Which is fine.

I think that there was maybe too big of a gap between this club and the beginner club before which may have discouraged new people from joining if they felt they weren’t ready to read longer/more difficult stuff yet. I haven’t been around here for that long either (and lurking for most of that) but it’s great seeing all of the new faces in here recently.

While I wouldn’t say I’m quite advanced yet, I’m always up for a challenge and would be interested in reading more difficult stuff if we had enough interest to create a separate club/thread.

4 Likes

I assume you don’t spend much time reading Aria though. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

If any of you manage to get a 多読 club going, count me in.

I read 60+ books last year and 90+ the year before that. I made it a goal not to read any English books until I’ve read at least 10 books in Japanese (but I might just make it only Japanese books for the whole year) so I have a lot of pent up energy. I’m trying my best to mitigate how much I read for book club books so I don’t get too far ahead but I don’t think I can without having another book to focus on. But there’s only so many books I can read concurrently…

4 Likes

I’m with you here. I’m definitely not advanced enough and I’m also mostly a lurker (getting there, slowly but surely), but since my style of reading does tend to lean towards tafoku anyway I’d be interested.

@Iwasneverhere i think the reason it was rejected when you brought it up (at least the reason i rejected it then) was because it would be too drastic for the main intermediate club. Particularly when the jump from beginners was already too much for most people. Also while i would really want to try it, I feel like I would definitely need both. Just tadoku, especially at my level, wouldnt be quite as useful yet and i feel a lot of people may have a similar experience to that.
I’m up for a challenge though, so if it would be set up I would try to keep up just to see how well I’d do if nothing else.

3 Likes

Just finished reading that one last week. :slightly_smiling_face:

Honestly not completely satisfied with the ending, vis-a-vis exactly what Calamity was even doing there in the first place.

Yeah, I’m half and half on the ending as well. Firefight was my favorite book of the three.

1 Like

It’s not really fantasy, but I also liked Skyward quite a bit

(And the Alcatraz series, which is supposed to be aimed at younger audiences… Even if there are some jokes the intended audience probably wouldn’t understand and the ending of the fifth book may be a bit dark)

On the topic of the idea of a different kind of book club, I’d personally be interested, but I don’t think I have the time for it at the moment! (And I’d probably want to learn some more first too)

1 Like

I figure I’ll at least wait for the second one to come out before reading it. I’m worried it will have the vibe of a mecha anime though. Was that the case?

1 Like

I don’t think I’ve watched enough mecha anime to be able to answer that.

Ah okay. I’ve watched a few and don’t really like the genre. Hence why I’m curious.