Intermediate Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: セーラー服と機関銃

I do not have a set amount of books I want to finish this year. So far, I never finished a book in japanese (but I am at least close to finishing my first volume of a manga in japanese). So, my goal for this year is to try reading and hopefully also finishing at least the books in both the beginner and intermediate book club this round. My problem is usually a lack in motivation and also time. I hope discussing the books in the book club will help with the motivation :slight_smile:

10 Likes

君の名は is half-off on ebookjapan right now! (280円 instead of 560円)

10 Likes

y-you’re half-off on ebookjapan right now!

10 Likes

HE IS?!

12 Likes

If only there was a way to say “boy meets girl” in Japanese.

I know it’s not actually fair to criticize loanwords especially for genres and things but omgggg

6 Likes

What’s that?

Heh I’m joking. It just seems like a silly thing to borrow when you could name it.
But it’s unfair, because we borrow terms like “isekai”
That one just got me is all :wink:

We do?

2 Likes

Oh, and what a surprise! It is also 280 yen on Bookwalker:

(I think I like their app better than ebookjapan’s…)

3 Likes

I mean, everyone I know who knows what an “other world story” is calls it an isekai, but granted that’s a little more niche. But when we say things like exempli gratia (or e.g.) instead of “for example” sometimes, it’s hard to throw stones.

2 Likes

Yeah, English does borrow a lot from other languages.

1 Like

“English is a language that lurks in dark alleys, beats up other languages and rifles through their pockets for spare vocabulary.”

11 Likes

Just bought mine on Amazon. It’s probably still a bit too hard for me to read, but I believe it’s doable with some effort.

Who did you steal that quote from? :wink:

James D. Nicoll, it looks like, though the Internet likes to credit it to practically anyone.

6 Likes

I’ve started learning the FloFlo vocab for this book. I haven’t got the book yet and I think I learning the copyright notice. 株式会社 and 法律 will surely come in use at some point.

7 Likes

I also enjoyed all the „fine print“ vocab at the start :joy: Good thing is, once you know them, they will no longer show up for the other books on FloFlo.

5 Likes

I was also wondering what on earth I had gotten myself into. 掲載 ー 権利 ー 正当 - didn’t seem like it was going to be the most exciting novel I had ever read. But after the first 20 words or so (after the fine print), it seemed to be slightly more interesting vocabulary.

4 Likes

Well, I’m pretty sure they are both in WK, so when they come around, that’s going to be two words less you have to remember;)

1 Like

I really wanted to try that with this group as well. I talked about it somewhere earlier in this thread right before it was revived. No one was for it. But I took a class doing it and I think if we gave it a try everyone would see this way of reading is much more efficient for learning. Though it is most effective when you understand over 90% of what you’re reading. If it’s on floflo.moe, or if we can get it on, I think it’s plausible. So I’m pretty interested in experimenting with this, but not with that book.

Same. But Throughout high school, I read 12-24 books a year. This year I’m reading 32+. I’m on a challenge to read 100 pages a day. At first I was trying to read 3 books a month, but I didn’t finish my books last month so this month I’m cranking up the speed. And I have themes for each month, last month was self-help(which wasn’t as engaging as a novel so probably why I couldn’t finish) and this month is Young adult. But since I messed up, I’m just going to finish the ya book I’m reading. (300 pages in rn, 200 to go) and then I’m going to finish my self help books, read more Ya in March, and in April I’m reading Science books. Then romance, History, Fantasy, Math, Scifi, Philosophy, Classical/literature, and the last month will be a buffer for any books I didn’t finish, or to continue a series. I’m doing this because sometimes I get stuck on one genre and dry out the medium, and also to have a healthy balance of intellectually stimulating books, and books purely for entertainment/escapism.

4 Likes