Intermediate Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: セーラー服と機関銃

This is why I didn’t buy Yotsuba there though, had to pay twice the price of the manga in shipping =/
Manga cost about 45, shipping 106 XD
So got free shipping on eBay instead.

2 Likes

I dunno why…maybe I screwed up this time. The overall cost was about the same as if I’d used Amazon US, but the shipping was much faster – to get the same speed with Amazon US, I think the shipping alone would have topped $100. So looking at it that way, not terrible. In future, if I continue to buy paper books, I’ll need to figure out a better way for sure. Because as much as I love books, those shipping fees hurt my stingy little heart.

Wait…I’m confused. What book is that, and where did you get it?

Thanks!

The two I show?
First one is 魔女の宅急便 (Kiki’s delivery service)
Second is 絶叫学級 (Scary stories)

@Caracal and everyone: I finally got it! They listened to my instructions this time (and made it up here even though my buzzer doesn’t work).

I thought it was funny the package’s label says: このラベルはきれいにはがせます
“This label hates being peeled off”… Rather than “do not remove”. It’s so passive.

Also, Caracal, I got your message! ありがとうございました! よろしくね。

I’m most excited, because I read and understood the entire first sentence, right away. No dictionary, no 30 minutes to parse complicated phrasing… Already this is way easier than my other (entire set of) light novels. やった!

I’m going to poke about the first couple of pages for a bit, to gauge difficulty further before waiting. : )
(This way, I have some idea of the time it will take me, or if I need to start a bit early.)

2 Likes

I know that book. The cover always creeped me out. It was a sponge. (Or, at least something possessing or looking like a sponge - I never read it.)

1 Like

Oh… The second sentence wasn’t so easy… I spent somewhere close to 10 minutes working on it (some unfamiliar kanji I couldn’t find searching with radicals took up 5 minutes - slightly more than half of that)… I’ve got some of it… but not the whole thing, which annoys me.

I also noticed a quirk of the font… One of the side radicals is written differently. I’m glad I spotted it on recognizable kanji first. Knowing that makes looking up unfamiliar kanji easier.

(I want to eat and hit the wall of the single kanji, so I’ve given up for today. Dinner time.)

Um, it actually means “This label is able to peel off cleanly.” I think you might have confused きれい with きらい. :cold_sweat:

8 Likes

Whoohoo! Finally!! I’m so glad it worked out! Third time’s the charm, I guess?

My first impression of Autumn Prison: yup, already noticeably easier than NO.6. Guess we really picked a doozy for our first book. Still plenty I don’t get without looking it up, but so far the grammar seems a bit simpler.

All those posts about the books been deliveried, i’m starting to want to order some too
(i don’t have the money for fisical copies tought.you guys are bad for the wallet :joy::joy:)

Since i’ll not be participating in Autumn Prison, i guess i’ll study my grammar for the next round, like many others.
I wanted to ask if you guys have any good Japanese Grammar site or books to recomend. =)
I have JPTL N3, and i’m going to take N2 this year. I feel that my grammar is lacking in comparision to my vocabulary :thinking:, so i was thinking on getting some serious study in that department.

Oh, I did… I’m getting used to seeing 嫌い in non-hiragana. I hate it that I keep mixing those two up on occasion. *fumes*

When I hear it, I know which one it is… But reading it I still mess up… @_@

1 Like

Haha, I guess so…

Re: difficulty: Hooray! : )

Tobira, maybe? Search the Language section, there have been discussions about different Textbooks. Nihongonomori (on YouTube) actually has playlists teaching Grammar points up to N1. I’m only watching the N5-N4 playlists myself, but I like those a lot. If you’re on a budget, that could help you. Then suppliment that with Imabi, possibly looking up the same points in more depth.

1 Like

I recently started the grammar book for 新完全マスターN2. I quite like how dense and to the point it is and the total lack of any English (I find it harder to understand Japanese concepts explained in English terms). If you buy just the grammar one, it’s pretty reasonable too as far as textbooks go.

3 Likes

So I unfortunately won’t be able to participate in the club from the looks of my current schedule :confused: Might still check in sometimes though to see if there are any good recommendations.

Btw @riccyjay I got a copy of Welcome to the NHK. Currently on Chapter 2 (3?). I haven’t found it too much of a struggle to read with the exception of Satou’s fantasizing sections, holy crap. I can get through most of it while only looking stuff up occasionally but those sections, nope. Enjoying it aside from that though.

3 Likes

Thank you very much <D, i’ll give it a look.

Thank you! I liked Nihongonomori!!! They explain in a easy way to understand =)

You’re welcome! : D

I hope the upper level videos are just as good. Please let me know what you think of them too, so I have an idea for myself.

1 Like

I do the same thing with words I normally see in kanji. I especially get irritated when I look up vocabulary that appear in kana only to find that it’s something I recognize primarily in kanji.

1 Like