Intermediate Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: セーラー服と機関銃

Oh, so you’re the reason why Your Name always comes in second? :stuck_out_tongue:

12 Likes

Sigh We have a tie on top and only one vote difference with the 3rd and 4th places…
And at the same time voting has basically dried up. I’m going to give this 24h to resolve, if it doesn’t, I guess we could read both the top 2, since the manga would only take ~6 weeks to read.
At the same time, the current other top is quite long (~19 weeks at the standard club pace), so… I don’t know. Well, let’s think about it when the poll closes.

1 Like

I threw a casting vote, so you should close it now before someone puts us back in limbo. :stuck_out_tongue:

I actually wanted to read Saint Young Men, but held back my vote because the English version is only available in hardcover, and I’m too cheap for that. Suddenly ocurred to me that there’s no particular reason the Japanese version is in hardcover too.

2 Likes

We could always consider requiring shorter books, but I don’t know that many books would allow for 15 weeks or less at a pace of 15 pages per week.

2 Likes

Well, it’s the case of the current book, but I do agree in general. That’s why the advanced book club sounds so compelling to me right now :stuck_out_tongue:

Nah, I said 24h. You should have waited for the last minute.

7 Likes

I thought that was the general rule anyways (that’s what I derived my recent suggestions from) that if a manga wins, we’d read two books from that poll. I would even apply that to a draw with a manga, but that problem seems to have resolved itself for the moment. :crossed_fingers:

That would be 225 pages, right? Let’s see…

checks bookshelf

I already own three physical books (they don’t have an ebook) and two ebooks that fall under that limit.
Incidentally, all of my current nominations also fall under that limit. And I did not even start to look at my want-to-read list :wink: So I don’t see why it should not be possible to limit the book club to, say, 225 or 250 pages.

3 Likes

Well, but that means at least 6+19 weeks, so basically half a year until the next pick…

We’re talking about 博士の愛した数式, right? Oh, that’s interesting, Amazon says it’s 291 pages while Bookwalker only claims 232 pages?! (So I was more expecting 15 weeks instead of 19 because I only looked at the Bookwalker numbers). Hmmm… Does anybody already own the physical book and can check what’s going on here?

EDIT: I checked the Bookwalker ebook and 232 pages sounds plausible to me. (For me the story ends on page 199, and I usually have a ratio of 1.2 : 1 when reading on my iPad.)

1 Like

Oh, okay! In that case, that’s not a problem. Where did Amazon pull their numbers from though?

Maybe it’s different editions after all? … :scream:

EDIT: Or maybe the physical book has a loooong atogaki or something? The ebook doesn’t have any, just half a page of literature references after the story.

1 Like

Also, I looked at the manga to get a feel for a possible pace, and it contains 8 stories; the first one is 4+1 pages and the others are 16+1 pages each (the “+1” is a page that basically contains just one drawing, so I would not really count it as a full page). I was wondering whether a suitable pace would be 2 chapters a week (i.e. 4 weeks in total)? That way we would get 20 pages in the first week and 32 pages in the subsequent weeks. Would that be feasible (given we’re the intermediate club)?

5 Likes

I guess I’ll refrain from voting this time as well and just start late if you guys seem to be having a good time (same as I did with 夜市). I’ve got a couple of books on the pile that I think I’d like to get to at my own pace now that I’ve broken the novel barrier.

2 Likes

That sounds definitely possible. In that case, we would have 4+15, which is fine as well.

2 Likes

Alright, official results are in:

Both 聖☆おにいさん and 博士の愛した数式 won.
I feel the most reasonable course of action is to read the manga first (4 weeks) and then the book. Going the other way around would mean starting to poll for the next book before we even started reading 聖☆おにいさん, which might dilute participation.

In terms of logistics, there are two pending questions: the exact start time and who should be in charge of the threads.

Starting date

• August 15th (1 week break)
  • August 22nd (2 weeks break)
  • Some other option/I clicked by accident

0 voters

聖☆おにいさん

• I’d love to be in charge of that book!
  • I can, if no one else is willing
  • No thanks

0 voters

博士の愛した数式

• I’d love to be in charge of that book!
  • I can, if no one else is willing
  • No thanks

0 voters

2 Likes

Sorry… my click-happy finger got carried away. I’m going to try to read the book and push my boundaries/learn some new grammar, but have no preferences as to when. I’ll be reading along but have no doubt my pace will be significantly slower. As such, I’ll refrain from voting.

2 Likes

I’m surprised you ask this, as I automatically expected the nominator (which is me in both cases) to be in charge… But anyways, as you can see from the polls, I’m ready to run them.

Yep, agreed.

4 Likes

I thought it would be a bit much? Also, aren’t you already helping @Radish8 with Fruits Basket already?

But since you say so, お言葉に甘えさせていただきます. I tip my hat to you.

5 Likes

Oh, now I see, thank you for your consideration! I think it will be fine, as those two are sequential.

While we’re at it, does anybody own (or plan to own) the physical version of either book? I might need some help with the page numbering and breakdown. (If everybody is reading electronically, I will do a breakdown based off of that, which seems possible, but physical would be more reassuring :upside_down_face:)

1 Like

I’m going to get both of them. Not sure yet whether I will read 博士の愛した数式, but I’ll order it and decide when it’s time.

5 Likes

The hero we need

4 Likes