Intermediate Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: セーラー服と機関銃

At the proposed pace, reading both books should take 30 weeks, give or take a week or two (hard to predict the number of illustrations)

So no, not really a year, but indeed a long time without poll.

Edit: re: the power of polls. The current poll has the most votes among the book selection polls of this thread. 50 voters and counting! That’s insane!

3 Likes

You should put an end to this insanity. Now.

3 Likes

Im super happy my faves are winning :grin:
I looked at the earlier polls out of interest, and apparently your name has been proposed a few times already? It’s gotta win at some point right :joy: I would totally read both kino’s journey and your name but i can also just wait until the next poll or read it on my own hahaha

1 Like

Well, I said I would wait for a week or for the votes to dry up. Neither of those conditions have been reached :thinking:
Oh god, it’s only been two days.

5 Likes

Yep. Same with キノの旅, actually. I was surprised to find it in the former nominations list.
Better get them out of our system and move one to other things :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

I’m allowed to withdraw a vote if both are winning but I want to read one more than the other, right? :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

Hi :slight_smile:

I always looked at both the beginners and the intermediate book club from time to time, but I always missed the start of a new book. So, now I want to try and participate. I haven’t read any book on japanese up to now. Only some single pages. So, I want to give it a try :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Nice! Welcome :slight_smile:
(Technically, the beginner club will only start reading the next book in March, so you can join them as well!)

2 Likes

I’ll probably sit out if 君の名は is chosen because I’ve already read it. :sweat: So I hope it’s a different book that gets chosen.

You should consider shortening the time window due to the obvious fact that there’s no possible way all 50 voters will be going through an entire book. (Though it would be great to have even half of that activity participating).

Frankly, I feel that due to the recent attention this thread has been getting AND the recognizable titles included on the list has attracted a number of ambitious voters (read: people who may not have read the samples in the proposals and are unaware of the actual difficulty for them personally). I defer to your judgment in the end, though.

5 Likes

How about a poll for when the poll should be closed? :kissing_smiling_eyes:

5 Likes

Well, the votes do not seem weird to me. Looking at the top choices, I recognize almost all the voters.
I think it’s fine. Even if some people don’t make it, those books seem to be legitimately popular, so a small bias won’t matter too much.
I’ll see how it goes in the next 24h.

Edit: also, I don’t expect all 50+ to join, just the 24+ who voted for the top book (right now). Anymore is a bonus.

5 Likes

So, speaking of evil turtles who drop out of book clubs…I was technically in the 時をかける少女 club, but I made the foolish mistake of finishing the book before the club started…and then I could not get myself to participate because I already knew what the story was and a second reading didnt feel worth it and I did not know enough about grammar to help people with questions and I knew enough about grammar to not have too many questions myself…I will try to avoid that mistake in the future.

16 Likes

But the movie will make me cry \ :sob: /

5 Likes

I remember being against this idea because it would make it easier for certain threads to get closed after a year and because it would spread things out even more. People just needed to add “Page __” as the beginning of the post and it would solve any problems.

I was so wrong :sob: :joy:

9 Likes

It took a while for me to adapt to the reading speed of either club. I read all books of the intermediate club way faster than the schedule. It’s really thanks to ARIA that I got it. Now it feels separate from my usual reading. It’s like a new chapter is released every week :stuck_out_tongue: I actually like the wait, now.

9 Likes

Just kidding :wink: I know you said that. And I’m equally surprised how many votes the books already got!

So let’s see whether this poll can beat the 90+ voters in the Beginner Book Club :wink:

2 Likes

I’d probably do a run-off for that reason. Opinions and members change over 4+ months, so it’s probably best to allow another vote in that time frame.

I was just saying the same thing to @Kyasurin an hour ago. Hopefully it doesn’t end up like 魔女の宅急便 did for the beginner book club, with a lot of people picking a book by name recognition and then dropping out right away.

Maybe we should ask @CyrusS to make it so topics in the Reading subcategory don’t lock after a year? I guess I did just ask. :laughing:

6 Likes

They should definitely do it. Pretty pretty please @CyrusS ? :durtle_love:

EDIT: Didn’t we propose the staff to create a new category for the book clubs?

4 Likes

That’s basically what the Reading subcategory is.

5 Likes

Hehe, yeah, we got the “Reading” category to satisfy our need :wink:

To add; It would be great if they didn’t lock cause we want future people to be able to read our old picks and still be able to ask questions. There are many who actively check new posts on the old threads to help when new people read it long after the club was done and answer their questions. If they get locked they would have to make a new thread to ask the questions, or jump in to a completely unrelated thread to ask.

7 Likes