Intermediate Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: セーラー服と機関銃

Hum… I’m sure that a third party application for this could go far :stuck_out_tongue:

I just mentioned WK’s team because of the forum’s categories for the specific example that I gave. If that could be fixed by some sort of script or whatever, even better :slight_smile:

1 Like

But what about knowledge outside of wanikani? Someone of my level might know enough grammar to read in a more ‘advanced’ way. (Not me personally lol) but they wouldn’t have any way to access the other threads even though they might discuss more suitable grammar points? Etc etc

1 Like

Well, that could happen but it’s definitely more common to happen the opposite. The criteria could be another one entirely too (like JLPT). I was just trying to make use of the category section here in the forums.

1 Like

I get that you want to make use of the sections here, but I wonder if it would be better if people could at least access all different subcategories. It’s not necessary, but at least something to consider.

1 Like

Yeah, I wouldn’t want to lock anyone out from any category. They could just have the same names as the categories without the restrictions.

3 Likes

Yeah, sure! Seems like the best way to go with this :slight_smile:

We’ll need to decide how to divide the categories together and then make it happen (:

Yeah sorting by the categories would be a nice way to do it =)
But should be open for all. The higher ones, if they own the same book, can come in and help with grammar points and pointers/translations of harder phrases and so on =)
And some might feel like hanging back a category lower than their actual level cause they haven’t spent enough time on grammar, or feel advanced enough to try a grade up.
It might also be enough to separate in three groups rather than all 6, to get enough people in each.

The pleasant group could do something as basic as Graded readers. Personally would love that for some pleasant effortless reading and chatting when other books makes it feel like such a chore :wink:
Or fairy tales and other books for kids =)

I’d probably hang around my own level and lower both, to be challenged in my own level and pick up some light reading in the lower =)

4 Likes

Making it into 3 groups:

JLPT N5 and N4 (because most people tend to jump to N4)
JLPT N3
JLPT N2 and N1 (because this already implies an “advanced level”?)

Not sure if these divisions would work. A higher level could give a better opinion on this :thinking:

5 Likes

I agree.

Beginner (N5 and N4)
Intermediate (N3 and lower N2)
Advanced (higher N2 and N1)

Sounds like a good start =)

6 Likes

Guys, let us know if you agree. Listening to everyone interested in participating is essencial.

3 Likes

So the goal is to also have different level books for different levels? Sounds nice. I really hope there’ll be enough people for all levels, but only time will tell! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yup. The idea is that a lot of people give up or end up not joining at all simply because their levels are unbalanced with other participants/the book. 3 groups allow us to be more specific on the different Japanese levels, which could mean + participation and useful learning.

2 Likes

I would be in the Intermediate one =).

Can someone make a voting poll to see how many people we have in each level?
Is that the right tool for this? :thinking:

1 Like

Since I have a goal for myself to complete Genki I and Japanese the Manga Way by the end of the year, I’d be interested in joining the beginner book club group at the start of next year so I could attempt to put everything I learned to use. I think others have similar goals so maybe we could get a beginner level group to start together at the beginning of next year?

This would, of course, be in addition to any other groups. I’m not, by any means, suggesting that the beginner group wait until the beginning of the year to read if they want to start now. If no one is interested in my idea, that’s fine too. I’ll be reading regardless. But knowing that a group wants to start with me will certainly help keep me accountable and I wouldn’t be surprised if others felt similarly.

1 Like

Do you agree with the new categories for the Japanese book Club v2?

Beginner (N5 and N4)
Intermediate (N3 and lower N2)
Advanced (higher N2 and N1)

• Yes.
  • No.

0 voters

Would you participate in it?

• Yes.
  • No.

0 voters

In which categories would you be interested in participating?

• Beginner (N5 and N4)
  • Intermediate (N3 and lower N2)
  • Advanced (higher N2 and N1)

0 voters

1 Like

I would definitely be interested with the additional groups. While they still might be a bit above my level since I’m still an absolute beginner, I think the division of book difficulties will tremendously increase participation for all levels of readers. I know as a beginner I’ve been focusing more on just studying the basics rather than finding reading material, so I can certainly appreciate finding reading material as a group effort. And I’m sure the higher-level readers will also appreciate it for similar reasons.

1 Like

I would probably try to participate in intermediate (to challenge myself, since I feel like the only skill I’m developing fast is reading), while also keeping an eye on the discussions in beginner (to learn and repeat).

1 Like

I will definitely participate in the beginner group, and keep an eye on the intermediate and buy their books to try challenge myself and test when I’m ready for it =)

1 Like

I picked all 3, since I am waaaaayyy underqualified for NO.6, but apparently I like to suffer? Definitely wouldn’t mind feeling halfway competent, though, so I’d be interested in the other levels as well. I’d probably end up deciding mostly based on which book(s) sounded most interesting, regardless of level.

It’s pretty weird to feel like I’m back in kindergarten learning to read for the first time…except much, much, much slower. So maybe more like a kindergartener with a learning disability or two.

8 Likes

Yeah, I’ll be much more likely to participate in the book club if there’s a Beginner option. Can’t make any promises, depends on the book and my amount of free time, but it’s certainly something I’ll be watching like a hawk.