Intermediate Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: セーラー服と機関銃

I cheated a bit and tried to read ahead to gauge myself. Took me quite some time to read just the first page, not sure if I could do 5 pages per day, lol.

I’ll try anyway, it feels really good being able to actually read in japanese, however slow it might be. And even if I can’t keep up with the group, I can always read the discussions later to help me advance.

4 Likes

The first bit of a book tends to be the slowest and hardest! Getting used to their style and their favorite words helps a lot.

Also I think it’s more like 18 pages a week or so?

3 Likes

I couldn’t find it stated anywhere, but some of the first posts say something about 5 pages per day, though it wasn’t decided yet.

The schedule is on the book’s thread

3 Likes

Thank you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

15+/-2 pages of text per week. The illustrations do increase the page count, obviously.

4 Likes

Here’s my measly collection of physical Japanese books :laughing:

I found the one on the left at a local Goodwill, and I got the one on the right from the bookstore in Japantown, San Francisco. They were both completely unplanned purchases :laughing:
I’ve only read a little bit of each.

My eBook Japan shelf is much more impressive

11 Likes

… have you read 時をかける少女 twice?!

2 Likes

No, I accidentally bought the manga first because because it was on sale and I jumped the gun. I should have at least previewed it first xD

I’ve only read a few pages, but it seems pretty different. I think the characters have different names. Maybe it’s based on the movie?

3 Likes

Ooooh. I thought maybe one was the furigana version and then you’d decided to tackle it again in hardcore mode ^^

The characters on the cover of the manga look a lot like the movie characters, so I’d guess that’s likely if the story is quite different. Are they called Makoto and Chiaki?

3 Likes

They are! 真琴 and 千昭

1 Like

Ah, yep then - definitely based on the film!

1 Like

Yeah, there’s about three manga versions that I know of - one’s based on the original book, one on the anime movie, and one that’s a fairly new story in the same sort of vein.

2 Likes

Too early days to say if it’s good, but the book has what are essentially greyscale screenshots of the anime, which I think is basically the tackiest thing you can possibly put in your book. Also it describes Kougami like「彼がもしも刀だったなら、鞘まで切ってしまいそうな気がする」 which is hilariously cheesy

I’m enjoying it though. It’s really hard in just, densitity of words I don’t know, though, most of which don’t appear in my handy dandy list of 10,000 common words.

1 Like

What’s the difficulty lvl of Harry Potter, would you say, in comparison to the other books you’ve read?

How’s the kanji situation in Bravely Default? I do have that sitting at home. :open_mouth:

I’m not sure how to answer that kind of question other than “typical for a JRPG.” The language used by the main characters isn’t difficult though, in my opinion. A lot of the villains are more eccentric though, and the big bads speak archaically.
No harm in giving it a shot though. You can actually change language at will any time from the menu, and you can even rewatch cutscenes from the log. So if you don’t underatand what the villains are scheming about in a cut-away, you can literally just replay the scene in English.

I could give some quotes from the game later though for reference.

Edit: Oh also there’s almost no scenes where the dialogue progresses automatically, so you have as much time as you need to parse things out.

3 Likes

I played the game back when it first came out in the west, so I know about those eccentricities… if that is a word :smiley: Might be fun? Or not, haha.

Since you mentioned it and your WK level is in the 20s, (if that is indicative of your Kanji knowledge at all?) I thought I might give it a try when I’m back home in half a year or so, since I had a lot of fun with it originally. The 2nd one is also lying untouched on the shelf. :roll_eyes:

But I had forgotten that you could replay those scenes at will. Thanks for the reminder! :slight_smile: I’ll definitely give it a shot and see for myself. Would still appreciate some quotes, though, if you don’t consider it a hassle. :slight_smile:

(Sorry for derailing the thread there… I’ve been looking through the book clubs, considering joining… procrastinating on my reading. :sweat: Who knows, maybe I’ll be done by March.)

Ah, it’s not. Or, it kind of is, but my knowledge of Japansese outstrips my knowledge of the kanji. There are a lot of kanji I don’t ‘know’ per se but I know words they appear in. So I might not have necessarily recognized, say, what 誕 meant on it’s own until recently, but that doesn’t stop me from knowing what 誕生 is. That’s a basic example that I think a lot of people can relate to (because everyone knows 誕生日, also, like, 頑張る), but there are a lot of words like that for me. A lot.
I also went through Heisig years ago so there are a lot more kanji that I kind of know.

But since you already own it there’s just absolutely no harm in trying, since it’s not even a financial loss.

(Examples later)

2 Likes

I totally get what you mean. I haven’t been studying that long, and there are still words (and Kanji) you see everywhere and just sort of naturally pick up. I tried the Heisig and just … petered out around the 700 mark? :sweat_smile: I find WK’s leveling system and the interaction in the forums much more motivating so far.

Thank you for taking the time to respond so thoroughly. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I only just “learned” the kanji 寂 and 拍 a couple weeks ago, but the number of times I’ve seen 寂しい and 拍手… Honestly, I’ve seen 拍手 so much that I didn’t even realize I hadn’t learned it on WaniKani yet.

3 Likes