Intermediate Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: セーラー服と機関銃

Okay, so the average chapter is 40.6 pages long. That means a chapter a week would be 5.8 pages a day on average (with the longest chapter being 7 pages a day). We could just decide on reading a chapter a week and stick really close to 5 pages a day every chapter. Is everyone okay with that?

1 Like

Imagine how the gays feel about reading/watching the other 98% of the world’s books and movies! :grin:

2 Likes

Well, at least they usually know what they’re getting into. Unless they’re watching a Brokeback Mountain remake with Scarlett Johansson inserted as one of the leads for some reason.

1 Like

Ok, I wanted to say, I like your idea and I want to join, but can’t because of time issues. But you had me as I read yaoi… :smiley: I’m not sure if I can go along with the pace, because I’m working 10-12 hours a day…-.- But let’s try!

1 Like

Hmm, starting with a 10 book series right off the bat seems a little overly ambitious. Maybe it would be better to just take on the first one and vote after to see if people want to continue the series or try something else? I’m also a little hesitant about starting with a BL series. Maybe Sirv or someone else who’s read can elaborate on it? If it just features gay romance then that’s totally fine, but some aspects of the genre make me wary (non-consensual stuff, etc.)

Edit: After looking up the Wikipedia page, I see that the genre is listed as sci-fi and not BL so I’m thinking it’s probably fine and not the primary focus.

No we weren’t planing on reading all 10 books, just the first one. I figured somewhere down the line we could vote for the 2nd book, but I can’t seeing winning ever again. As those who really wished to read it, should have read it by the time it would go up again. But we’ll just have to see how it plays out, as of right now we probably won’t be reading the second book.

Ah that’s good to hear. If I can’t get into this one, I’ll just wait for the next one then :slight_smile:

Is it okay if we talk about other books here too from time to time, maybe to get ideas for the next one or would you prefer for the thread to be pretty on-topic?

At the very least, I’d like to see us take nominations for the next vote. Personally I’m thinking a little nomination period in between books, so we get an unambiguous collection of books to vote on, and so we get a little pause in between books.

Talking about the book club at any time (whether that’s about book choices or whatever) is probably fine, though, isn’t it? I mean, any discussion is good discussion. :grin:

1 Like

The first rule of Book Club is: You do not talk about Book Club.

The second rule of Book Club is: You do not talk about Book Club.

Third rule of Book Club: Someone yells stop, goes limp, taps out, the book is over.

Fourth rule: Doesn’t really work in this context.

Fifth rule: One book at a time, fellas.

Sixth rule: No shirts, no shoes.

Seventh rule: Books will go on as long as they have to.

And the eighth and final rule: If this is your first night at Book Club…you have to read.

5 Likes

Haha…that’s great! Though I’m thinking this club will be a little safer!

And I’d like to join as well if I may. I can download the book anytime. Just hope I can keep up as my reading skills are still meh…

1 Like

@riya @obskyr I think to keep things moving we should pick a new book at the start or middle of the current book (since some people have to order and all) A nomination process sounds fine, and perhaps we could do talks of this sort in the previous thread to keep this thread a little more clean. I mean I don’t think this group should be strictly on topic, but talking about a complete different book might make things a little messy. I wouldn’t mind so much, but I’d like to hear what others have to say well.

1 Like

Are you able to add your name to the list?

Doesn’t seem like it, but since I’ve never modified a post before, I may be doing it wrong?

Edit: Yes! Yay! I’m added!!

@riccyjay Is this a club where we beat people up with books? This changes everything. I demand to be added to the list!

Looking around for keywords on the TV Tropes page hasn’t come up with anything I was worried about and the premise sounds interesting so I’m definitely considering giving it a shot now if I can get my hands on a copy.

@Iwasneverhere No problem! Maybe we could limit it to just general summaries here and there so it doesn’t muddle things too much?

1 Like

Some people can’t do it because they aren’t on trust level or something. But I can add your name for you.
**Edit never mind. :joy:

I’m fine with that.

Hahaha yeah I knew. I watched the anime. It didn’t occur to me to mention it, because there wasn’t that much of it in the anime, and what there was, was kept PG. Is…is that not the case in the books?

I just skimmed through the thread to see if @anon75098302 had made a comment yet, and since I don’t see one I’ll say that No.6 is only BL in the sense that the main characters are obviously in love with each other, but it’s not explicit at all unless a couple of small kisses are going to creep you out. I’ve read a translation of the novels, and they are quite different from the anime but the relationship is basically the same. The relationship is not the whole focus of the story and there is no explicit content between the boys. As far as objectionable content goes, there’s another character whose business practices I’d be more worried about causing offense, though I don’t think there would be much of that in the first book anyway though it’s been a while since I read the translations so I’m not sure.

I don’t know how much time I’ll have, but I did grab the first volume of the novel so I’ll tentatively join up, but between work and house hunting I may not be able to keep up with the pace.

1 Like

Oh right, I think I should pling the people who signed up but haven’t posted here yet, so they know about the new thread.

@LucasDesu @softlyraining @plumenator @hanalee

Don’t forget to like the new thread too! It’s cooler than the old thread! :wink::wink::wink:

When I ordered a set of books last year, I made a new account on amazon.co.jp. Caracal linked some good posts in the old thread…

Even though you have a UK account, you can make a new JP account. : D

Wait, you can’t order the one on Amazon UK either? I added that link kind of recently, so perhaps you missed it?