Intermediate Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: セーラー服と機関銃

I’ve been reading 魔女の宅急便, which is definitely easier and only has little furigana. It was up for vote but wasn’t chosen

1 Like

Is it good?

I agree. I think the book club as a whole needs to maintain a steady pace that most people in the group feel comfortable with. Everybody reads at a different pace and life doesn’t always allow for a steady reading schedule every day. Even if people fall behind they can still ask questions about previous chapters that weren’t already answered. Appropriate spoiler tags will help those who fall behind. I just got my book so I’m trying to get a bit of a head start because I know I will be slow.

1 Like

Finally! F’in USPS, man. I hope this series is decent because I bought the whole set! :joy:

5 Likes

Yeah we just have to see after the first week. If most ppl can’t keep up then we should definitely adjust the reading pace. But if most ppl can keep up then we can make two threads with different speeds.

2 Likes

Hey, guys, I’m super excited about this… but I need some help with getting a Kindle version. I’ve followed along with some of the guides posted here regarding digital purchases on Amazon, but I can’t seem to get the damn thing to work for me. If anyone has advice please let me know. Here’s what I’ve done so far:

• I created a Tenso account to get a JP address to use;
  • I created a new Gmail account and used that to make a new Amazon account with the JP address I was given from my Tenso registration;
  • I downloaded the Kindle app for PC so I could download and read on my computer;
  • Annnd that’s it. I can’t seem to purchase books from the Kindle store on Amazon despite all this stuff. Any thoughts/advice?

Thanks in advance. Look forward to learning with you all.

What happens if you try? Does the Kindle button simply not show up on amazon.co.jp?

Excuse the shitty picture, but you get the gist. I get this message for anything I select on the Kindle store with this account.

It’s not very intriguing, but I’m enjoying it. Think slice of life. It is a bit light on kanji, however. Here’s a picture for comparison

Right, set up 1-click buy, I suppose. You can switch the page to English in the top right if you’re having trouble interpreting the instructions.

No dice. Even in EN it reads, “Not currently available.” I’ve tried it with both 1-Click on and off. Nada.

Hi all,

I am just beginning to learn Japanese, I like the idea to (try) read some book so I decided to join.

I just ordered my book, it should arrived in a few weeks so I will begin with some delay.

Do you think that with very basic grammar and vocabulary this will be too hard for me?

Thanks

Not to discourage you or anything, but to answer your question. If you’ve just started to learn Japanese then this will probably be very difficult. But you should know your own ability than anyone else.

Finally got it sorted out. Hooray for tenacity!

1 Like

Hooray!

I read a lot until I got my phone. Since then it’s been mostly subtitles.

I was getting worried about my phone addiction–the fact that I never am without it, ever, and must constantly be watching anime/doing reviews/on the forums/listening to podcasts and music while I go about my daily routine. But then I realized that I had simply replaced books with my phone, and that while I definitely have a problem, it’s not a new one. So, yeah, you could say I read a lot.

Though I actually became a much slower reader at some point, no longer able to skip boring paragraphs and needing to go back and reread a sentence if suspected I had missed a single “the.” I blame all the high school and college Lit classes. So I’m not one of those speed-reading maniacs, though now that I think about it, I could be, if I didn’t have this need to register every single word.

Did you register the Kindle app as a device in the store, and make sure that the region is set to Japan?

Also, your account is Amazon.jp, right? Not just regular Amazon.com?

Edit: Oops, too late. That’ll teach me to reply without readong all posts (no, I’m sure I’ll forget again).

I totally get that! I slowed down reading as well… except during super action-packed sequences or when I feel the story itself is moving quickly. Other than that, I’ve slowed down to really imagine what I’m reading like a movie and be “totally immersed” in it. This makes me read probably 4 times slower than I used to in highschool/as a kid. Sometimes I’ll wind up reading that fast again, and then be like “wait, did what just happened really just happen?” and reread an entire page much slower.

Makes forums and such go by quickly, but if I’m reading narrative, I slow way down, hearing every different voice, every accent… seeing the whole world… and then sometimes getting distracted by my own thoughts… “oh! if this is happening then that means this other thing!” or “this totally reminds me of sci-fi show such and such when so and so happened! It’s totally the same thing!” and then I might go off on a tangent for a few minutes considering the implications of that - or just loving the sci-fi show - before realizing I lost my place on the page and re-reading a few sentences to get back into it.

You are not alone, Caracal. <3

3 Likes

Hello everyone! I’m also too new to edit the post, but I’d love to join you all! I’m glad I made it on time since it looks like you guys are just about to start.

I tend to lose steam trying to read light novels, so I hope a book club will help motivate me to finish one until the end! I don’t have the book on hand just yet, but I’ll look into getting it on my Kindle tonight.

Want me to do it for you? Add you as which account?