Intermediate Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: セーラー服と機関銃

Thank you! I’d get the kindle version if there is one, so this could happen really fast! :wink:

1 Like

In that case you might be interested in knowing that there’s a sale that I think is still up in Bookwalker, check this post:

If it’s for Kindle then for sure Amazon JP has it, but I can’t say much since I haven’t bought anything there yet :slight_smile: (I haven’t used Bookwalker myself either but I thought I had to mention it, very popular choice).

Edit: I just checked the link again, maybe there isn’t anymore? I’m not too sure if it shows the normal price or the discounted one, sorry!

Whoa, thank you! But it says in the link it’s a Golden Week sale… that was, unfortunately, two weeks ago, so it’s most likely over. Ah well.

1 Like

My bad, sorry! I hope you can still get it for a nice price regardless :slight_smile:

Personally I’m going to get the physical version and unfortunately that’s 20€ for me (around $24) ;-; But considering the length and how long we’ll be reading it I don’t mind; I won’t be buying any other Japanese books meanwhile anyway. I hope to stay commited!

Something like 17.5~20 pages per week. Basically, anything we can do to keep the week count at max 20 weeks.

2 Likes

According to our Proposal Guidelines, it is still acceptable as it says:

There was some debate some time ago about lowering the limit to 300 pages, but the outcome was that

(Of course we can reevaluate that outcome any time :grin: I personally am not that pessimistic when it comes to limiting proposal lengths to 300 pages.)

Bumping up the reading right from the start feels to me like breaking the “speed promise” to those who voted and who are interested but might have a harder time keeping up with the reading speed. But that doesn’t mean we need to be tied to a fixed schedule throughout the whole book. Therefore my suggestion would be to start out with a standard 15-ish-page schedule and to vote on increasing the speed after 4 weeks or so. This way, we have a much better grip on how difficult the book actually is, and the participants have a better grip on how well they can manage reading the book, so they have much more information on which they can base their vote.

If possible, I would like to defer the details of that discussion to the book’s home thread :slight_smile:

Naphthalene, if you’d like to run the book club, would you mind setting up a home thread for it so we can continue the book-related scheduling discussion there?

7 Likes

Oh! I had forgotten that we had kept the 350 page limit. No problem, then.

Sure, that was my original idea. I only brought the conversation here when I thought that the length was illegal™. Since it is not, I think it’s fine to just go ahead. Edit: here

I agree with that.

9 Likes

On bookwalker it is about twice the size of コンビニ人間, with the same page settings (993 vs 495).
Here is a screenshot of two sample pages to give you an idea of the text density with my settings:

3 Likes

Aaaaand we have a home thread for our newest pick :tada:

It was somewhat hidden in @Naphthalene’s announcement so I thought I’d make it a bit more prominent :wink:

10 Likes

Hello everyone! It was really nice to find out my humble self to have become a topic for discussion :sweat_smile:
I was really out of the community, only using the flaming durtles app. And since I rarely check my e-mails, I have finally seen the notifications only today… @Naphthalene, @NicoleIsEnough, is it late to pick up the task of the host? I’ve really wanted to, would be such a shame to miss the chance…

13 Likes

If the two of us ask @Naphthalene nicely to let go of the hosting of this club, hopefully they will hear our plea :wink: When the mods turn the OP into a wiki, you can take over without any issues.

(Edit: The OP of the book club home thread of course, not of this thread :grin:)

4 Likes

In addition, it is also possible to ask the mods to transfer ownership of the OP to Kawazoe :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Oh, I did not even know that this is possible! That would be much better indeed (because it removes the 3-post-limitation). Thanks for the tip :slight_smile:

1 Like

In case @Naphthalene wishes to stay the host, how can I ask to let it go? :grin:
It was my fault to be out of the club activities for so long after all.
May be I can aid with the text review and split proposal, since I have the paper book at hand :thinking:

1 Like

Well, you’re back now, and that’s great! I’m rooting for you :wink:

That would be more than welcome in any case! Maybe you can have a look at chapter 1 and comment on my findings that I posted in the book club home thread?

2 Likes

Welcome back! You are more than welcome to take over. I’ll tag the mods in the home thread.

Edit: done, we just need to wait.

10 Likes

Thank you a lot! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
I will be out of the city until 21st, so will be unable to do major updates (like tables and may be polls), will pick this up once I return.
I’ll take the book with me anyway to at least think on how to arrange its reading :grin:

5 Likes

Ooh, where?

1 Like

Just updated my comment to link to that book’s nomination post, which links to bookwalker and amazon. I should’ve done that in the first place but was on mobile (and too lazy)…

3 Likes

I’ll be joining for the next book! Ordered my copy on cdjapan. Excited to read something I’ve never heard of or seen an adaptation of.

2 Likes