Intermediate Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: セーラー服と機関銃

I seem to recall plenty of people had watched the anime version of Kino and we still managed to have plenty of discussion…

5 Likes

Yeah, but I didn’t remember much from the anime. :stuck_out_tongue:

And why would you even take on the effort of reading it in Japanese when it is readily available in English? :wink:

5 Likes

Maybe I don’t remember everything from the movie? :wink:

Also, I tend to focus on the visual aspect of movies - which leaves plenty of room for the textual nature of books. So maybe it’s the difference between seeing someone’s face and hearing their voice. Same person, but not the same thing.

4 Likes

:clap:

To be fair though, I think @Raionus already gave his view on this in his profile.

Why am I learning Japanese when Aikatsu already has subtitles?

8 Likes

Clearly the answer is that we should separate the movie into weekly segments and discuss it.
Okay this week we watch minutes 13 till 25…

11 Likes

No no, that’s way too fast for intermediate book club. It actually should be minutes 13 to 19.

4 Likes

Why would you want to watch a two-hour movie when you could read a two-hundred-page book? :stuck_out_tongue:

But for a serious answer, it’s for the Japanese practice. That’s why we’re here, innit? And knowing the story already kinda helps. Or at least, I’d expect it would.

Also, there’s a Hyouka anime, which surely removes that from contention too. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

I’m just trolling mate.

3 Likes

Oh the results are very close again.

They don’t look that close to me. :thinking:

1 Like

I swear like half an hour ago they were 35%, 35%, and 30%.

2 Likes

Hmm… I think it was like that for the last couple of hours. Maybe you got confused by the second poll (the tie-breaker for the tie-breaker)?

3 Likes

Only 25 voters, though. There’s still a lot of people who voted in the original poll and not in this one…
Also why do we have only 24 voters in the second poll? That one should have more voters (people voting on the first poll plus those without a strong opinion).

Anyway, let’s give it at least another 24h just in case.

2 Likes

As a sometimes-member of the POLL thread, I’m saddened that you didn’t include an “I just need to vote in polls” option. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Just vote in the poll! And don’t worry,

2 Likes

I thought about it, but I was stopped by the fact I want to know how many people actually voted without having to count tiny circles on my screen.

(I could have made an extra poll involving the options “vote here” and “@missmisc”, but I was in a hurry)

6 Likes

Hmm, very interesting… It seems a very large percentage of us are excited to read Banana Yoshimoto’s preponderances on the region of the domicile reserved for acts of culinary preparation

8 Likes

Yay! Speculation already starts before the book is even picked!
Literature rocks :rofl:

1 Like

:thinking:

5 Likes