Intermediate Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: セーラー服と機関銃

Wow, the poll is still really close even with 26 voters. I wonder how long it’ll stay that close :thinking: (I don’t remember how close the other ones were)

I’m guessing we won’t read four books if we end up with a four way tie?

2 Likes

No, that won’t be a thing. I guess we’ll have another round with just those four.

1 Like

And last time there wasn’t much overlap between the voters for the top two books, which led to reading two at the same time. Looks like a lot more overlap this time (I voted for the top two as of writing this), and I know I’m not up for reading more than one book at a time, so might have to suss that out like last time…

1 Like

A run off makes sense with how close it is. I think this is the first time I’ve seen this in the book clubs. :thinking:

2 Likes

We excel at getting multi-way ties at my university sci-fi society’s book club. The tie-breaker method we’ve settled on is doing a second round of votes with just one vote per person. Third round, if necessary, is pulling a name out of a hat (or whatever we happen to have on us, which is typically different-coloured M&Ms in a bag).

7 Likes

You could theoretically try to start a reading group of your own if you want to. It worked for re:zero, after all(or even if you just created a discussion topic, I’m sure someone would post in it. I personally intend to read all the books that have discussion topics) If nothing else, I’ll probably at least buy the book next time I order stuff after how much you’ve been promoting it

7 Likes

It’s so close
I can’t watch this :see_no_evil:

5 Likes

Oh no, what if it sucks. :worried:

5 Likes

Then I’ll find out after reading it(or well, technically probably while reading it) :slight_smile:

(I’ve seen people say it’s good elsewhere though and the concept is at least somewhat intriguing, and I have a bit of a bad habit of buying books with concepts that seem interesting even if people say they suck - I’m not actually going to buy any books for another three or four weeks though)

I’ve also at least somewhat liked 9/10 books I’ve read so far too so the odds don’t seem too bad!

4 Likes

I enjoyed the anime for the most part, and I’ve heard the book is better. And I’ve also heard that the second and third books are better than the first book. So it’s definitely got potential!

Since I forgot to respond to this earlier, do you want me to make one, or are you just saying you might join if I do? You’d probably read it quite a bit faster than me.

1 Like

I feel like I’ve heard this about almost every series I’ve seen people talk about(at the moment just SAO comes to mind though, but I’m sure I’ve heard people say it about a lot of other series… just can’t say which ones at the moment) :sweat_smile: Well, I guess it makes sense that authors may get better as they go along, and also that they maybe can do more stuff with the story after some setup from previous books.

I don’t have any particularly strong desire for anything, but I will read anything people make greading groups for(aside from stuff like graded readers, some childrens’ books, and maybe some really easy manga I don’t have too much interest in). And if I’m in a reading group for something, I stick to the designated pace! (assuming there is one, obviously hard to do that if there isn’t one)

5 Likes

I wanna second that.
I have the book now and I wanna read it (I blame you @seanblue xD And if there’s a reading group I’m interested in / already own, I’ll definitely join and, like Ditto, stick to the designated pace, regardless of weather I’d usually take more or less time :grin:

4 Likes

Hey, those who wanna read メイドインアビス 1, it’s on sale for Kindle on Amazon.co.jp

5 Likes

Oh my gawd a triple tie in the first place :scream:
And Your Name up there somehow after all this time, it’s like a running gag at this point

6 Likes

Glad to be of multi-tie inducing assistance.

5 Likes

Will @Belthazar finally be able to read Your Name? Find out next time, on Intermediate Book Club!

10 Likes

This also sounds like it could be part of the plot of a story about someone with a name that uses really complicated Kanji :thinking:

11 Likes

… Why? Is this a book that I’ve noticeably championed at any point? I’ve bought it, sure, but I don’t recall promoting it.

No, the two books I most want to read are currently languishing near the bottom of the list with two votes each…

1 Like

No, you desperately want to read it. Sean said so.

8 Likes

I feel like you’ve talked about it a bunch. :man_shrugging: