Intermediate Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: セーラー服と機関銃

Thanks! Count me in on Convenience Store Women. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Good to have you. You’re just in time too since we just started two days ago!

3 Likes

Thanks! I’ll grab a copy later after work at the nearest Kinokuniya. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yay! Someone else who watched switched! I saw the erased anime so I don’t know if I’d be as engaged with the drama. But If you know of any other drama that’s good liked switched or at least better than good morning call please tell me. :sob:

Sorry this reply is so late, but did you watch it? lmk know what you think when you do. And thank god someone else notices it. I googled why are japanese dramas so bad, are japanese people just bad actors and the the answers were like “no they’re not that racist ect,” and I was just like…okay then just not my culture I guess.

I’m gonna check them out.

Hey guys I have a concept drawn up for a kind of gamified advanced book club and would like to know if there’s any interest. Advance Book Club with gamification Concept

I’m also thinking of jumping in on conceive store women, let me get myself together and see. But I def want to watch the anime of haruhi so I’ll be skipping that one.

2 Likes

My favourite… it’s old, but I love it: 蛍の光. It has about 3 years between the first and second seasons. If you’re going to only watch a bit of it, the first season is excellent! But the other season was worth it, too. And there’s also an OAV that I think I missed…
Ever been to d-addicts ? It’s a huge drama wiki, for Japanese, Korean, Taiwanese, and other dramas. GREAT resource.

The children actors were fantastic in Erased.

2 Likes

It’s possibly a little old, but 一リットルの涙 is very good. Gokusen is also good.

Miss Sherlock?

1 Like

Thanks I’ll check it out!

Out of curiosity, how soon in advance do we open up nominations/voting again?

Nominations are always open. Feel free to nominate something whenever you want. :slight_smile:

As for voting, I was wondering the same thing. Are we targeting to start the next book after Konbini or after Haruhi? If the former, voting would start by mid or late August. If the latter, it might not be until the beginning of October.

I kinda wanted to take a crack at 魔法少女育成計画 in August, but it was in fourth place last poll. If the next poll was in August, I’d just wait to see if it won before starting it on my own. But if we’re not voting until October I probably wouldn’t wait.

2 Likes

We’ll see how many people are left in the Haruhi group at the time we finish kombini ningen (to know if we start reading the next book right away or not), but I think we’ll aim for voting around mid August anyway.

3 Likes

I’m leaving Japan around mid/end of August so hoping we vote before that, so I can buy the book :smiley: Or I just buy all the books that are in the poll!

5 Likes

Works for me. :+1:

5 Likes

I’ve just discovered Tsundoku Reader, a blog about Japanese novels, in English, by a professional translator. It’s looking like a valuable resource. I found it while searching for the novel 「わたし、定時で帰ります」(No working after hours), which I have just started reading (having finished コンビニ人間 early).

定時で帰ります looks interesting. It’s available also as a tv drama with fansubs. The book is over the page limit for this club, though.

4 Likes

Thanks for this :smile:

I would like to read this book in the near future, and so I figured I might as well suggest it for the book club :wink:

キッチン

This book actually contains the novel キッチン and the novella ムーンライト・シャドウ. I would only propose the first story here, and we can decide later whether we want to read the second story as well.

Summary

Japanese

キッチン
両親と祖父を早くに亡くし、祖母と暮らしてきた大学生・桜井みかげだが、その祖母さえも亡くしてしまい、天涯孤独の身となる。ある時、同じ大学の学生で、祖母の行きつけの花屋でアルバイトしている田辺雄一に声をかけられ、雄一宅に居候することとなる。雄一はオカマバーを経営する母・えり子(実は父・雄司)と2人暮らしである。みかげは田辺家のキッチンで眠るようになり、風変わりなえり子・雄一親子とも少しずつ打ち解けていく。かつてのボーイフレンドとの再会などを経て、日を追うごとに祖母の死を受け入れ、みかげの心は再生していく。

満月 キッチン2
みかげは休学していた大学をきっぱりやめ、世話になった田辺家からも独立して、有名な料理研究家のアシスタントとして働いていた。そのみかげのもとに雄一から、えり子が店の客に殺害されたと連絡が入る。急いで田辺家に駆けつけたみかげは、そのまま雄一と同居生活に入る。しかし雄一に一方的に思いを寄せている大学生・奥野がみかげが働くキッチンスタジオに押しかけてくるなど、家族でも恋人でもない2人の同居は周囲に理解されることはない。えり子の死から立ち直れずにいる雄一は姿をくらます。伊豆へ出張していたみかげは、深夜にタクシーを走らせ、ちかちゃんにもらった雄一の居場所が書いてあるメモを頼りに、彼に出来たてのカツ丼を届けようとする。

English

In Kitchen, a young Japanese woman named Mikage Sakurai struggles to overcome the death of her grandmother. She gradually grows close to one of her grandmother’s friends, Yuichi, from a flower shop and ends up staying with him and his transgender mother, Eriko. During her stay, she develops affection for Yuichi and Eriko, almost becoming part of their family. However, she moves out after six months as she finds a new job as a culinary teacher’s assistant. When she finds that Eriko has passed away, she tries to support Yuichi through the difficult time, and realises that Yuichi is probably in love with her. Reluctant to face her own feelings for him, she goes away to Izu for a work assignment. However, after going to a restaurant to eat katsudon, she realises she wants to bring it to Yuichi.

In Moonlight Shadow, a woman named Satsuki loses her boyfriend Hitoshi in an accident and tells us: “The night he died my soul went away to some other place and I couldn’t bring it back”. She becomes friendly with his brother Hiiragi, whose girlfriend died in the same crash. On one insomniac night out walking she meets a strange woman called Urara who has also lost someone. Urara introduces her to the mystical experience of The Weaver Festival Phenomenon, which she hopes will cauterize their collective grief.

Availability

amazon.co.jp
Bookwalker

Personal Opinion

I would like to start to move towards reading “literature” (as opposed to children’s books or pulp). With this book, the author won two newcomer’s awards, so I’m convinced her writing will fulfil my expectations :wink:

Pros and Cons for the Book Club

Pros

• The main story is only 140 pages, so it’s a quick read (maybe we can even squeeze it in between the end of Konbini and the end of Haruhi?).
  • In case we plan to tackle it later: The second story is about half as long as the first one.
  • Won two newcomer’s awards and received a bunch of favorable reviews
  • Was turned into a movie twice (for those who like different media)
  • Almost no furigana

Cons

• Judging from the summary, the story might have its sad moments, so it’s maybe not to everybody’s liking.
  • Not on FloFlo
  • Almost no furigana

Pictures

First Three Pages of Chapter One

Additional Pages

Difficulty Poll

How much effort would you need to read this book?

• No effort at all
  • Minimal effort
  • Just right
  • Challenging
  • Impossible, even with everyone’s help
  • I don’t know (please click this if you’re not voting seriously)

0 voters

8 Likes

I feel so attacked right now

:wink:

9 Likes

That’s a Mike Oldfield song, that is.

Ouch! :sweat: That was more intended to be a general explanation than an attack…

Which is about the shooting of John Lennon who was married to a Japanese woman… so probably that’s why the author adopted the title for her novella about death… It’s all a huge conspiracy :scream:

1 Like