Intermediate Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: Spy x Family・Next: TUGUMI

It was written by Makoto Shinkai, who made the movie, so the question of which came first is very chicken-and-egg.

3 Likes

Good point. It set off a bit of discussion when I mentioned I would nominate it before, about the book vs movie, so I thought I would get ahead of it this time.

4 Likes

But it was clearly intended as a movie first, with those gooooorgeous viauals and storyboarding. But yes, at least we’re not dealing with someone writing someone else’s characters, and it almost feels wrong to call it a novelization?

2 Likes

Naturally. This is Shinkai we’re talking about, after all. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I considered nominating 狼と香辛料, but after trying to read a few pages I decided it would be better not to (for my own sake). I am kind of interested in reading it eventually, but the series is so long…

1 Like

Does anyone have any intermediate level manga to nominate? The only one I have that I would consider intermediate is ご注文はうさぎですか, but I’m not inclined to suffer through read that again.

@Naphthalene You said 風の谷のナウシカ was a solidly advanced level manga, right?

1 Like

Indeed. I think it would be painful for people, since it’s a bit hard to look up stuff from a manga.
The good point is that weird kanji have furigana… the first time they show up.
Edit: browsing through google image, that seems to not be true, they have furigana on all weird stuff.

About the difficulty, here’s a sample that feels average (and is readable).
Some characters are talking in a much weirder way than usual, so there are huge spikes in difficulty sometimes though.

3 Likes

Ooo. I bought the first two volumes of 風の谷のナウシカ at the Akihabara Shosen Tower when I was there in 2017. Not completely sure why I didn’t get all seven - probably because I already had two copies of it sitting at home in English. I don’t know that I’d really call it advanced, though I have mentioned before that I’m not awesome at judging difficulty levels…

Weren’t you the one touting it in the first place? :stuck_out_tongue:

Think it’s just that they talk in various dialects. Kushana speaks like an imperial princess, Kurotowa speaks like a country hick, the old men of the castle speak like old men. And so forth.

1 Like

Right. THEM FREAKING MONKS WHY.
That is all.

2 Likes

Yes, and I enjoyed it for the most part. Doesn’t mean it wasn’t painful to read. I mean if people wanted to read it, I would. But then I’d be reading the stuff I already read and probably still asking a million questions.

1 Like

You’re not actually supposed to be able to read the Old High Dorok. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I’ve got some manga in mind, there’s

@anyone, LMK If you want me to nominate one.

2 Likes

How about イカ娘? Someone said it was intermediate by Box of Manga standards, and it seems at a good level from what I see in ebookjapan

Pictures

I don’t know, seems fine by me.

2 Likes

Maybe Made in Abyss?

4 Likes

I read ikamusume ages ago (back when it was popular:p). It’s quite fun, and mostly slice of life for the first few volumes.

1 Like

Planetes could be fun. It’s a solid sci-fi story and seinen I think. I haven’t read any samples, so I can’t say how difficulty it would be.

And after that?

3 Likes

I can’t remember. Only that stuff happened with scientists? Not super sure. It was still comedy, though.

Planetes! I got the first volume for free in ebookjapan a while back.

The level is okay from what I remember.

Summary

It doesn’t have furigana for everything, just some weird words.

3 Likes

Oh yeah, I think I got that for free to… Maybe I’ll propose that one.

I still have the whole series sitting on my bookshelf in English, but I haven’t found the time to read it…

1 Like

So good. :heart_eyes: