Intermediate Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: セーラー服と機関銃

Oh no?! Seriously!?

That sucks.

Will you order that book at another time, later? Like, was it a really strong want?

Nah, only if it’s for the club. In fact, that was probably the one I was least relectant to delete, so it worked out just fine. Well worth the shorter wait.

Hmm…maybe I’ll sneak in just one more to replace it…

Luckily, yours is shipping on its own, so my order won’t affect it.

Hah! XD

Seriously? Aww… I thought the whole idea was to purchase them together to save some money…

You may have dodged a bullet there. I got it and…I don’t really understand it, to be honest. One to try a year or so down the line maybe.

If you’re looking to add one more, I got a couple by this guy recently and they all seem very readable (definitely easier than No.6).

1 Like

I dunno…I may have totally misunderstood how it worked… :sweat:

Actually, I probably should’ve guessed, since you’re in Canada and I’m not, but…I got excited. Buying books! Giving books!

10/10 would send a WK friend a book (while being totally clueless about the logistics) again.

3 Likes

Hello, I’m new to this book club and just received my copy of Autumn Prison. Could someone add me to the list as I can’t edit posts yet. Looking forward to getting started! :slight_smile:

Could someone add me to the list as I can’t edit posts yet.

Done :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just want to chime in, I think this sounds great! As I just found it I doubt I’ll be able to “make it” in time for the first book, but I’d love to join for Autumn Prison.

Added a link to the new beginner-level thread in the OP and created a separate Member List for Autumn Prison :+1: Also collapsed the No. 6 list since it’s so long (it could really use some cleaning up, but I felt bad deleting people just because they hadn’t participated in discussion).

I went ahead and added people who specified in the previous list that they owned/ordered Autumn Prison; please add yourself (or ask to be added) if you’re not on it yet!

5 Likes

Thank you so much for taking the time to do this! The OP looks great! I don’t think we’ll ever get the No. 6 list cleaned up/updated. For Autumn Prison, however, if those who are participating find themselves unable to continue, for whatever reason, let’s try to let the group know and update their statuses accordingly. That way, if there are any other decisions we need to make regarding pacing, who will lead discussions, etc. an effort can be made to ensure that everyone who’s participating has a voice.

2 Likes

I have just bought this book from Kindle Store too. I am very excited to read it. :closed_book:

2 Likes

ありがとうございました!

The gif made me laugh, too. You’re so sparkly right now. : D

Thanks, it looks great!

1 Like

My pleasure :blush: Glad the sister club is up and running! I’m tempted to participate in both, if I have the time~

Now that club situation is sorted out and we decided to keep Autumn Prison, should we officially set the start date for October 22nd? I know that might be kinda long for people not participating in No. 6, but it also sounds like some folks will need time for the book to arrive, too

1 Like

I’ve been looking for the book in Ikebukuro, but it was sold out everywhere? Bad luck. Will try again in Sendai.

I’m sure my skill level isnt high enough to be able to read this, but in a month, who knows. What is the recommended WaniKani level to be at to be able to reasonable join in here? I looked through the post and didnt specifically notice any skill level other than beginner. I know around 20 is books, but not sure if this is a lower skill level than that. Thanks!

This is the Intermediate/Advanced Japanese Book club :slight_smile: If you feel like starting with something easier, join us in the Japanese Book Club for beginners :slight_smile:

1 Like

For me, I previously voted for Oct 22. Even though I’m not reading No. 6… it’s intentional so I have more time to work on Grammar. (Finally sat down to review some today!)

Also, my book is expected to arrive in the same window as Caracal’s… as long as there isn’t any kind of problem at customs.

(I’m hoping to finish Genki I at least, before we begin… that way I don’t have to ask the most basic of questions…)

We chose this date so everyone who was reading could have a break, too. I say we keep it, and go ahead with Oct. 22 as planned.

3 Likes

Sounds good to me, though of course I’d say that since I’m running behind in my reading…but then again, starting on the 22nd only leaves about a week between the end of NO.6 reading/discussion and the start of Autumn Prison, right? And it could take a little while to set up the next discussion/reading rate/etc. (though not very long this time around, it seems). So October 22 seems perfectly reasonable in that regard, besides giving plenty of time for shipping as you mentioned.

@sadfghjkl One thing to keep in mind is your general Japanese skill. Obviously one’s ability to read kanji is important with reading books in this club and the beginner’s club, but if your general knowledge of vocabulary is low or even if your grammar skill is low, reading can be a pain in the behind. For this reason giving a recommended WaniKani level isn’t really helpful if one’s general Japanese skill is low. In my own case, even after starting WaniKani for a while I could recognize the reading of words, but didn’t actually know what they meant; I could read sentences, but due to my limitations in my grammar skills, I couldn’t properly process the meaning very easily. Now after really studying hard and with a lot of practice, I’ve improved; WaniKani was instrumental with making reading easier, but it wasn’t the end-all-be-all. I’m sure probably know this, I’m just mentioning this because it was brought up and you’re probably not the first one who had this come to mind.

TLDR; recommended WK level isn’t as helpful as grammar and vocabulary knowledge to determine reading skill level.

@jprspereira Be sure to convey this to those joining the beginner level Japanese Book Club because I’m sure there will be a lot of gungho member who will join not really considering the kind of grammar or vocabulary they will come across in manga or even in children’s books. Although the bar may be lowered, it may still be unreasonably higher than some can reach if they are really new to studying Japanese.

3 Likes