Intermediate Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: セーラー服と機関銃

Yeah. Every level, at least half of the kanji I ‘learn’ are like, “oh, that one.”

2 Likes
BRAVELY DEFAULT

Inter-party, non-plot related optional dialogue that’s probably some of the easiest in the game
「ねえねえ、あたしはこれからみんなのこと何て呼べばいいかな?
見たところ、あたしが一番年下みたいだし…
やっぱさんづけした方がいいかな?」
「ティズでいいよ」
「私も、アニエスで…いいです」
「ほんと?風の巫女様なんだしアニエス様…とか呼ばなくて平気?」
「そういうのは…ちょっと…」
「あんまり『巫女様』とか公言しない方がいいのかもしれないよ」
「あ、そっか…アニエスは狙われてるもんね、公国軍に
うん、わかった。アニエスって呼ぶことにするね」
「はい」
「そうだな。イデアの大声を考えればその方が安全かもな」
「大声ってなによ!」
「そうだよリングアベル。最初は『そよ風の声』っていってたじゃないか」
「そよ声?うん。確かにいってたな。…だが
そよ風かと思っていたら…暴風に…いや、これ以上は控えさせてもらおう」
「むぐぐぐ〜!!
ちょっとリングアベル!!
それどういう意味!?」
「おっと…、ちょっと用事を思い出した…ような気がする」
「ちょっと!待ちなさいよ!」
「ははは…
リングベルのことは最初から呼び捨てなんだね〜」

Chat between one character and an important NPC about plot. Bit harder, pretty typical.
「どうした…?眠れんのかね?」
「老師さま、このペンダント…覚えていますか?幼い頃、老師さまにいただいて以来ずっと、お守りのように大切してきました」
「ああ、覚えとるよ。いや〜懐かしいのう。今も肌身離さず持っておるとは、感心感心」
「辛い時、これに祈り、語りかけていると不思議と勇気がわいてくるのです」
「これからも、無くさないようにしなさい。いつかきっと、おぬしを守ってくれるじゃろうて」
「……
前にここを訪れた時、私ともう一人…一緒にいた女の子のことを覚えていますか?」
「オリビアちゃん、…じゃな?」
「はい。今は、水の巫女を務めています。
…彼女が今、どうしているか…分かりませんか?
風のクリスタルが闇に飲まれたのと時を同じくして世界中の海が腐りはじめてしまいました
海に活力を与えているのは、水のクリスタルです。つまり…
風のクリスタルと同じように、闇に飲まれてしまったのかもしれません…
水の巫女オリビアが、無事なのかどうか確かめたいのですが、今の私にはそのすべがなく…」
「それは、ワシにも分からんのう…。少なくともオリビアちゃんは、ここを訪ねてきてはおらん」
「そうですか…」
「オリビアちゃんのこと以外にも…何か思い悩むことがあるようじゃな?」
「……分からないのです。私は、ほんのつい最近まで、修道女に囲まれて風の神殿でひっそりと暮らしていました。外の世界のことなど、何も知らなかったんです。そんな世間知らずな私が為そうとしている使命が、本当に正しいのかどうか…自信がないんです。」
「ふむ…
昔とは違い人々の心はクリスタル正教からは離れ、忘れ去られてしまったと言っても過信ではない。しかし、そんな時代であっても、民は無意識ながら巫女とクリスタルに対する畏敬の念を持っておる。おぬしは、おぬしの信じるべき使命を果たせばよい。それこそが、巫女の示す『道』となろう」
「でもっ…!私は母巫女様に比べ、すべてが未熟なのです… クリスタルが闇に飲まれるのも救えませんでした。私のために命を落とす者さえいました…
人は皆、民も、王も…。巫女として未熟な私を言葉や目で、期待と落胆とで…、責めるんです。初めて会った多くの人たちの、私だけに押し寄せるたくさんの想いを、受け止めきれなくて…。それどころか、怖いとさえ思ってしまって…。こんな私には、人々に『道』を示すことなんてできるはずない…」

And it keeps going for awhile it’s a long sceneeee

Finally some bad guy stuff

「それでアナゼルよ、ラクリーカの状況はどうなのじゃ」
「風にクリスタルは、彼らの言葉で言う、『解放』をされてしまったと聞き及びましたが」
「しかも解放後、結界が張られてしまった。もはや巫女しか干渉はできない。」
「アナぜルは風の巫女と接触できたのじゃろう?なぜ捕まえてしまわなかったのじゃ?」
「風の巫女には強力な護衛がついている、という話は本当だったのですか?」
「いや、その… …風の巫女とともに行動している者の中に、イデアの、姿が…
「ほおほお、これはこれは」
「驚きましてございまず」
「アハハ、アハハハハハハ!それでおめおめ逃げ帰ってきたというわけか?情けないのう」
「それが事実であるとすれば、…問題ですね。イタルニア公国軍を束ねる元帥閣下のご息子が祖国を裏切り、巫女に加担している、というのは…」
「元帥閣下、どうなさいますか?」
「……巫女とともに我らの障害となるつもりならば、たとえ身内であろうと…排除せねばならん。」
「おお…、今の言葉は本当に本当か?殺…排除も已む無しなのじゃな? な?」

And so on

About my kanji knowledge, I typed that up by hand, and had to look up 帥 and and 已 (also the game’s font made me think it was 己 which made it harder). Everything else I knew how to input (though I don’t know all the words).

3 Likes

!!! :flushed:

Thank you so much!

comprehension notes :D

I just read through it real quick, and aside from needing to look up quite a few words (especially in the last part), and the lone grammar here and there, it was surprisingly fine. That is to say, I think I got the gist. Even if I missed stuff here and there, I could probably just click past and then study up on it later since there is a re-watch option.

(will check later when I’m not at work and can look up stuff in peace :smiley: maybe I’m on the wrong track, who knows)

So, just gotta keep at it, and by the time I leave Japan behind I will be able to handle games like these. Great motivation to actually read more!

How do you guys find the time for that, btw?

1 Like

I can’t help with that at all, I just happen to have a lot of free time.
But most people have some time and it’s more about priorities.
I’ve had this basic conversation a few times:
“I don’t have time to do X”
“Didn’t you marathon The Haunting of Hill House yesterday?”
“Well that was with my boyfriend…”
Point being, people have time. It’s just priorities. Which is fair. Sometimes you gotta prioritize watching netflix with your boo. But I think a lot of the time “I don’t have time” actuallt just means “I don’t want to.”

8 Likes

Depends on people, I guess. “I don’t have time”, for me, means “it’s my top 10 of things I want to do, but not in the top 5/6 I can actually manage to do in the amount of time I have for a given day”. “I don’t want to” is “Hmm I’ll think about it/add to my todo list”.

4 Likes

Yeah, I tried to be cleae I’m not referring to everyone. I know people who work two jobs and have kids, so…

2 Likes

Which sometimes means “I’ll get to it in a few years” :laughing:

6 Likes

You’re right of course, that there is not one way for everyone. I guess it is all about priorities. Right now I’m prioritizing grammar and flashcards over actual use of Japanese. Hmm.

Maybe i can shave off some forum time. :joy:

2 Likes

says the person who lives in Japan right now. :thinking:

2 Likes

Maybe that’s why that’s my priorities? I don’t know, it just turned out that way :joy:

Honestly, all my actual use of Japanese is at work. And since we’re working, we’re not talking all the time. Obviously. Don’t know why I didn’t realize that before I came here.

1 Like

Incidentally, typing that up reminded me how much I kinda hate language cliches in Japanese fiction and how they screw up worldbuilding. I understand that they’re used as shorthand, but urrgghh

Pointless Rant

All old people all around the area speak with a slightly different dialect. Oh, okay. Was there a recent upheaval in society? Was it a big country with a lot of dialects, but the concentration of power changed, along with a sudden access to mass media (maybe newspapers or a magical equivalent), encouraging a new generation of people to speak in a very uniform way, distinct from many of the previous generation? Like say, what happened in Japan?
Oh? No? It’s a tiny hamlet that hasn’t really seen any change in 300 years? Then why do young and old people speak completely differently

Oh this evil merchant speaks with an exaggerated kansai dialect. Okay. I guess he comes from a different part of the world, which has historically been a mercantile power. Oh, he does! Oh, but everyone else in the country speaks with the standard dialect. He just has a kansai dialect because cliches.

It drives me crazy. Build :clap: your :clap: world :clap: people

7 Likes

Oh hey look, a Book Off On.

15 Likes

So, anyone up for 多読, in the end? Currently reading エクサスケールの少女 and it’s hard. Currently averaging 10 pages a day, with as little as 2 pages (and max 20) in one day, and it feels like such a grind. I wouldn’t mind some kind of common reading challenge to push me forward…

also, maybe, don’t read that book, it’s not worth it.

5 Likes

That’s how much I’m doing with 新世界より lately :joy: I hope to at least finish it sometime this year… which is at least possible in this pace. Also, 新世界より seems to me to be worth it so far, so there’s that.

As for the 多読, I don’t mind, though I’m not sure I get what it is. Is it reading without looking everything up, at a faster pace?

3 Likes

That’s my understanding of it. I don’t know if it would really help, but anything that has a chance of making that book over faster is welcome. (And maybe the good part just comes later, who knows)

3 Likes

Hm…That looks like way too much work based on the first few sentences…:upside_down_face::turtle::pizza:

2 Likes

That book is trying to kill me. But I will show it who’s boss.

9 Likes

I’m interested but I’m not sure I have the time right now. I’d probably only half follow the 多読 style anyway so I might have trouble keeping up with 10 pages per day of something difficult. I just haven’t been setting aside enough time to read more than 10-15 pages a week of the 2 books I’m in the middle of as it is (3 once キノ starts up). Although a lot of that is just that I’m struggling with some of the harder sections of 吸血鬼ハンターD.

1 Like

The first book or the series? 10 pages a day should easily let you finish the series this year.

4 Likes

The edition I have has all 3 parts in one book (it’s about 1000 pages). I’m on page 64 right now :sweat_smile:

But yeah, if I can keep this up it’ll be over way before the end of the year.

2 Likes