Intermediate Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: セーラー服と機関銃

Like 21 or something, but we’re only reading the first one. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

It is, but each chapter (and by extension, book) is fairly independent. They are basically standalone stories involving the same main characters. So there should be no issue not continuing with the series (or even dropping the book midway, for those afraid they won’t be able to finish).

(It’s of course fine to keep reading afterwards too, but that would be beyond the scope of the club).

1 Like

I like it. I ordered the rest of the series + the beyond. I started some months ago to had all the word I didn’t know on kitsun. Someday I have 15 words other I have 5 and the biggest was 30 news words on 4 pages. My lessons are pilling up but are not going down. :sob: I’m at the pace of 4 pages per day and when pages are short or I have more time I’m going 5 pages. (I’m getting shivers just thinking about it)

Btw I don’t remember but @Naphthalene have you finished the series?

2 Likes

Welp, now I’m getting emails from amazon trying to advertise book club books now I’ve bought a few:
Haven’t even looked at キノ when I’m logged in or bought it yet, but I did buy Chi’s Sweet Home, and the next two Beginner book club titles.

5 Likes

Omg welp I have the next years planned out ha ha

7 Likes

You know, you don’t have to finish every series you start. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Hah. I’m also a member of an English book book club, and practically every book we’ve been reading has been book one of a series that just has to be read.

Plus, since I’ve been buying those books for book club, Amazon now thinks that getting into new series is the kind of book I like reading…

2 Likes

No, I wasn’t part of the club at the time, I joined from the next book. I did check the previous thread, though :slight_smile:

I shouldn’t really think about adding more stuff on my to-read list though :crazy_face:

I totally get that. I am trying to use floflo with everything I read (mostly because it is my main source of recommendations right now :sweat_smile:), and I wonder if I’ll be able to catch up with my lessons. At some point I’m bound to run out of words to learn right? right?

4 Likes

I have to ! How can you read a book and not know the end of it ???

The only eception is when I really hate the series but then again sometime I finish it anyway.

I am praying for the same thing. But one of the first words I looked up in the n.6 club was anticoagulant. I was like ok… that’s the BEGINNING of the book I’m reading.
So now I’m thinking it’s gonna be long until I know them all.

gotta know them all Japanese For those who do not understand the reference sing it with the pokemon song

1 Like

Thanks for clarifying that! I thought it was going to get a bit expensive at $15AUD per book…

1 Like

I mean, at some point you just have to acknowledge that you aren’t ever going to know 100% of words that you encounter, as that is unrealistic for even a native speaker. It’s more about minimizing that number, rather than trying to eliminate it entirely. (For example, research shows that the average adult learns on average 1 new word a day.)

3 Likes

Is that a challenge?

12 Likes

Absolutely >:D

5 Likes

Welp, I guess I’m joining in on three simultaneous bookclubs. RIP me I guess.

6 Likes

You can check the unknown vocab on FloFlo (you can tell it what you know by setting your WK level and by importing Anki vocab decks and stuff). It also has a list of all the kanji used in a book, so you can use that for quick reference if you don’t know a kanji and are too lazy or unable to draw it in order to look it up.

1 Like

Just super curious, was this phobia not triggered by 時をかける少女? I mean, even I felt really uncomfortable when she jumped back the second time and when I realized she jumped to a point in time before her explanations to the boys, and so I was troubled because I figured she would have to go through that again… Or is it that the Time Girl book does not play the emotional side of things very much, while Your Name (the anime) is just going overboard with it, with all the beautiful imagery and so on?

Or even joining midway, in case the Your Name club actually decides to die (if run in parallel).

Haha, I thought the same about English for a long time. Now I’m just accepting the fact :joy:

In your mother tongue? You mean, a word one did not know before and needs to look up? Hm…

2 Likes

Yes, in your mother tongue. It helps to keep in mind that most language acquisition isn’t done by expressly seeing a word that you don’t know and then looking it up, but rather as a bi-product of doing something else. For example, imagine it’s your first time filing taxes. In that one sitting, you might learn what a deductible is, or what a w-2 is.

During early childhood (basically until the end of elementary school), we learn on average about 8 words per day in this way, and it tapers down to an average of 1 word per day when we reach adulthood.

4 Likes

People from the forums are real???

11 Likes

Y-you’re real! o:<<

7 Likes

Should I add volume 1 clarifiers to the OP, or do we think it’s clear enough that we’d be tackling just the first volume of anything?

2 Likes