Intermediate Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: セーラー服と機関銃

涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱

Summary

Summary

「ただのにんげんには興味ありません。この中に宇宙人、未来人、異世界人、超能力者がいたら、私のところに来なさい。以上」。入学早々、ぶっ飛んだ挨拶をかましてくれた涼宮ハルヒ。そんなSF小説じゃあるまいし……と誰でも思うよな。俺も思ったよ。だけどハルヒは心の底から真剣だったんだ。それに気づいたときには俺の日常は、もうすでに超常になっていたー
Kyon, your typical high school student, has long given up his belief in the supernatural. However, upon meeting Haruhi Suzumiya, he quickly finds out that it is the supernatural that she is interested in—aliens, time travelers, and espers among other things. When Haruhi laments about the lack of intriguing clubs around school, Kyon inspires Haruhi to form her own club. As a result, the SOS Brigade is formed, a club which specializes in all that is the supernatural.

Availability

Availabilty

https://www.amazon.co.jp/涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱-角川スニーカー文庫-谷川-流/dp/4044292019/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?__mk_ja_JP=カタカナ&qid=1547961968&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=すずみやハルヒの憂鬱+小説&dpPl=1&dpID=51MEZAig6qL&ref=plSrch
無料まんが・試し読みが豊富!電子書籍をお得に買うならebookjapan

Personal Opinion

Well, I like it. It’s fun, plays with the concept of light novels/manga/anime, and was a huge deal when the anime adaptation first came out. I think it may have faded away as the “anime commenting on anime” thing became common and done worse, but I feel like it has a special place. Also I have a love for Kyon.

Pros and Cons for the Book Club

Pros

• Style. The narrator is first person, and tends to quip about things. I generally don’t like first person novels, but this one works.
  • Pretty good comedy.
  • 300 pages.
  • Apparently a lot of words to learn.
  • Grammar doesn’t seem bad?

Cons

• More of an otaku bent.
  • Apparently a lot of words to learn.
  • Some obnoxious treatment of Asahina Mikuru.
  • Might be harder than I think it is.

Pictures

First Three Pages

Extra Pages

Difficulty Poll

How much effort would you need to read this book?

• No effort at all
  • Minimal effort
  • Just right
  • Challenging
  • Impossible, even with everyone’s help
  • I don’t know (please click this if you’re not voting seriously)

0 voters

I did it hohoho
In seriousness, hearing it was supposed to be so bad made me do a skim through, and I think we could handle it. So here it is.

2 Likes