Intermediate Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: セーラー服と機関銃

I lost my regular status too unfortunately. I think it would be better if they excluded the Campfire section, because it just increases the number of topics/posts we have to read. (Unless these forums require the max amount, which I doubt.)

1 Like

You mean we wouldn’t need to read the max amount if the campfire category was not included? That’s possible. The maximum is reached as soon as there are more than 1k new post per day on average. The poll thread is certainly making a huge contribution toward that total (posted well over 300 post a day over the last few days, by taking a quick look).
What I don’t think is possible is explicitly excluding categories from counting toward that total. (It would break Kumirei’s script too :scream:)

It’s possible, but I don’t know.

Does the script require you to visit the forums from the device where the script is active every day? Does it count any activity from other devices?

Yes, it does, since it only looks at the data from your profile. You do need to visit the forum once per day with the script active so that it can collect stats for that day (so that it can remember it in 100 days and use the difference to tell you what you have read/visited during that period).

1 Like

The next pick is a manga and relatively short (4 weeks only) therefore I figured it might be a good idea to already think about when we want to start the following pick, i.e. 博士の愛した数式.

What would be your favorite start date for reading 博士の愛した数式?

• No break at all (start on Sept. 12)
  • One-week break (start on Sept. 19)
  • Two-week break (start on Sept. 26)
  • Four-week-break (start on Oct. 10)
  • Even longer than that (please explain) / Oops I misclicked!

0 voters

3 Likes

☐ I’m fine with whatever

Actually I just checked when we’d be done with those dates and the schedule and realized we’ll be done with it in 2021 no matter what :scream:
I don’t mind the long time but I’d naively assumed we’d be done with it this year so I was counting on it for my 10 book goal PANIC! (at the library) yes I will be fine don’t mind me thank you for asking

11 Likes

While I voted immediately, I have no interest in the preceding book, so it won’t really be a break, making me unsure how much my vote should count.

3 Likes

Ah, don’t worry! You won’t be the only one in that situation.

I think next time I will even turn the texts around because I mainly want to ask for the start date, and the break duration should be the explanation.

1 Like

For the start date of 博士の愛した数式, the majority would like to start straight away but 3 people would prefer a one-week break (and some others would not mind a break either). So technically the “start immediately” fraction won, but I think it might still be advisable to give a bit of slack here to make sure everybody can catch up; it’s always exciting to start a new book but otoh we’re not in a rush :relaxed:

Therefore my suggestion would be to start the book after a one-week break, i.e. on Sept. 19.
I hope this is ok for everybody?

15 Likes

If you’ve read 聖☆おにいさん and would like to vote for how you liked it, please feel free:

5 Likes

I would like to join–when will the next book start? And has it been chosen yet? Thank you

The book club just started a new book a couple weeks ago, so maybe you’d like to try catching up. The details are in the first post. The next book won’t be selected for a few months since this book just started.

Thanks. I think I will try. I love the current book, in its English version

1 Like

Heads up to everyone who always voted for 君のなは : It is currently being read as an unscheduled book club:

(@Naphthalene and @lantana: I’m wondering whether it would make sense to remove its nomination from the poll as it is being read now?)

4 Likes

The standard approach is to ask the person who nominated the book :thinking:

That’s why I included lantana :wink:

1 Like

Yes, let’s take it off the list now it has it’s own reading club. If the new page doesn’t get a lot of discussion though I think it would be fair to let someone renominate it in a few votes time. It won’t be me though. After so many 2nd place votes I’ve lost the drive to read it! :laughing:

9 Likes

Hey, happy WK anniversary! :tada:

That was quite the bummer indeed :rofl: Maybe it was about time to clear it off the list…

5 Likes

I nominate myself as the torchbearer of this passed down privilege. :fire: Your name must carry on.

Never!

5 Likes

We’re planning a new intermediate level book club after the 獣の奏者 book club is finished. We’re aiming to start sometime between December 26th and February 13th, to be determined by a poll.

4 Likes