Intermediate Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: セーラー服と機関銃

That’s fine!

1 Like

Isn’t it just stylistic? I was browsing manga yesterday and saw one is officially titled あんハピ♪, including the music note at the end.

3 Likes

As promised, here is the home thread for our next pick:

I’ll update the physical pages as soon as Kumirei (or somebody else) lets me know what they should be.

8 Likes

Should be arriving in a few days!

2 Likes

Yay, perfect! Thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m skipping the manga so I hope I don’t miss the start of the book when it happens :frowning:

2 Likes

I’ll post the home thread here a few weeks before it starts, so watch this space! :eyes:

5 Likes

me just reading the first part of the title.

Why is there a thread about Saint Young men??? I’m not gonna tell you what passed throught my mind but it was everything except a book club :rofl:

4 Likes

I just realized that @Naphthalene tricked us and nobody noticed :joy_cat:

The last week of Night Market starts on Aug 8th, that means it ends on Aug 14th.
Thus the proposed 聖☆おにいさん start date of Aug 15th actually means no break…

What should we do?

• Let’s start without break (start on Aug 15th)
  • I’d prefer a one-week break (start on Aug 22nd)
  • Either is fine for me

0 voters

5 Likes

Seriously??! I always make that mistake, so I triple checked this time… and still failed :frowning:

13 Likes

Yeah, I thought you had had such an issue before :joy_cat:

Sounds like a typical off-by-one error, so nothing to worry about :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Edit: Oh and could you maybe close the original poll at some point? I derived the start date from it already (or so I believed…)

4 Likes

It’s less off by one and more me forgetting the whole week is dedicated to reading, not just the first day sorry about that

The poll is closed!

5 Likes

No worries, no harm done!

In fact (judging from the new poll) you seem to be the only person at a disadvantage as you will probably not get the break you’d like to have :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

The book is too long for Intermediate club, renominated it in Advanced book club

魔女の旅々

Summary

Japanese

あるところに旅の魔女がいました。彼女の名はイレイナ。

旅人として、色々な国や人と出逢いながら、長い長い旅を続けています。

魔法使いしか受け入れない国、筋肉が大好きな巨漢、死の淵で恋人の帰りを待つ青年、滅んでしまった国に独り取り残された王女、そして魔女自身のこれまでとこれからのこと。

わけのわからない可笑しな人や、誰かの美しい日常に触れながら、今日も今日とて魔女は出逢いと別れの物語を紡いでいきます。

「構わないでください。私、旅人なものですから。先を急がなければならないのです」

魔女。――そう、私です。

English

It’s not about the destination…

What’s your favorite story? Does it have a hero who slays a dragon and saves a princess? Or a child of prophecy destined for greatness? Well, my favorite story is a little different. It’s the tale of a witch who travels the world, seeking nothing in particular. With no quest of her own, she’s free to wander wherever the wind takes her, adding a few pages to the story of whomever she meets before setting off on her next adventure. At the end of her travels, the witch takes on an apprentice who will one day begin her own journey. And so the cycle continues, or so the story goes. Now, the witch who starts the story anew…who could she be?

Availability

Amazon
BookWalker

Personal Opinion

I don’t expect anything mindblowing in terms of plot from this book. Just a witch wandering from one town to another doing some witch stuff. Written, from what I’ve seen so far, in understandable language.

Also seems to be quite popular (has been in top 10 in このライトノベルがすごい! ranking for three consecutive years).

Pros and Cons for the Book Club

Pros

• Looks easy to read
  • Main character is a witch (people like witches here, right?)
  • Consists of short stories (may be a con for some people)

Cons

• Pricey (compared to other light novels)
  • Little character development due to episodic nature of the stories
  • Quite long (344 pages)

Pictures

First Three Pages of Chapter One

Additional Pages

Difficulty Poll

How much effort would you need to read this book?

• No effort at all
  • Minimal effort
  • Moderate effort
  • Significant effort
  • So much effort my head might explode
  • I don’t know

0 voters

7 Likes

I don’t know about people but I certainly like witches. :eyes:

Reading through the summary I was reminded strongly of キノの旅, and there’s enough reviews on Amazon that tell me I’m not the only one. Apparently opinions vary widely from ‘a worse Kino’ to ‘very different quality due to reasons’. Apparently the 1st volume can be read as a stand alone, which is a plus for me because I don’t like leaving stuff feeling unfinished.

Also I think the period where one book has been decided but there’s still some time till the next poll might be the time nominations make the most sense. Maybe that’s just me though.

It doesn’t look like a sale on mobile (it just gives me the 4xx yen for Kindle in comparison to the 1xxx yen for print), but I’ll check it out on pc later… I do like witches.

6 Likes

Doesn’t amazon always just show the current price, without any mention of it’s the normal price or not?

For instance the first few danmachi volumes are 300 yen right now which definitely is cheaper than the usual price, but it still just shows that without mentioning any sale. (and I think it did the same for those 77 yen manga that were on sale before too, which now are back to their normal prices)

3 Likes

Really? I felt like it was more obvious that it was a sale when I looked at those on pc. Huh.

Also I’m pretty sure danmachi wasn’t on sale earlier in the week, thanks for letting me know. Might be worth picking up for that price.

2 Likes

On Bookwalker it’s definitely on sale until July 30th:
it just doesn’t show the non-sale price unfortunately.

@NickNickovich For the proposal in general, Bookwalker states 373 pages which even breaks the currently stated hard limit of the Intermediate club, and even more so as we recently had a discussion about maybe cutting this limit down even further. (Although there was no conclusion from this discussion yet.)

But maybe you’d like to propose it in the Advanced club?

5 Likes

I considered proposing it there, but it looked so easy, so I decided to try it here first. But, yeah, maybe it’s too long for Intermediate club.

Yeah, it’s weird it’s not showing the non-sale price. It’s 1320 yen, the same as 単行本, which is ridiculous in my opinion.

4 Likes

:eyes:

On an unrelated note, turns out that everybody(*) is fine with starting 聖☆おにいさん on August 15th even though this means no break after Night Market. So, we’ll stick with that start date :tada:

(*) well, actually everybody except Naphthalene, who miscalculated the start date in the first place, so that’ll teach them :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

9 Likes