Intermediate Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: セーラー服と機関銃

I hope I didn’t forget to include anything :sweat_smile: I figured I’d nominate another book since I actually read one of my previous nominations and it turned out to not be very good, so I wanted to nominate a (hopefully) better book.

By the way, if anyone knows, how long will nominations be open and when will we be voting for the next book? Just curious

1 Like

Which one?

ゼロの使い魔. It may(to some extent) just be that it has a different target audience, but I didn’t really enjoy it all that much. If I were to say why in a non-spoilery way, a lot of stuff just felt unnecessary and most of the characters weren’t very likeable, in my opinion.

3 Likes

It’s the story of a young Japanese lad trapped in an abusive relationship with a baka gaijin.

3 Likes

I’d actually say Louise was the more likeable character(at least in the first book) :thinking: Maybe the anime is different though

Maybe. I just remember her constantly whiping Saitou to death. That psychopath was committing some war crimes

1 Like

Well, in the book she was mean without a reason like two times at most, and the most she did otherwise was pretty much to be slightly angry after he did some stupid and equally mean stuff, so maybe it is different then

Sounds like they really toned it up for the anime - that’s a relief, because it was honestly in poor taste.

Btw have you read 私の百合はお仕事です?
It’s lowkey kind of hilarious, about a fakely cute girl who’s looking to marry a rich dude but ends up being coerced into working at a concept cafe where all the employees roleplay as the yuri trope of lesbians at a Catholic school.

Thought you might like it because you’re into yuri and it’s never been translated

5 Likes

Nope, but I think I’ve seen it mentioned before, so maybe I’ll check it out sometime

2 Likes

For that there’s also Blend-S. All the characters have to play a role at the cafe but act really differently when not working. The anime adaptation was pretty funny.

2 Likes

Well, except for the main character, who is appointed the role of extreme sadist simply because that’s how she appears when she smiles, without intending to. (It’s a pun, see. ブレンド・S > ブレン・ドS > ドS)

2 Likes

Does ブレン mean anything though?

No more than the うつ in うつ和 does. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Have to appreciate that random German though.

6 Likes

By the way, I’m just curious, but do we have a limit on the amount of nominations per person? If we don’t I may nominate something else, but I figured I’d ask to make sure people aren’t getting fed up with me nominating a bunch of stuff since I’ve already nominated three books :slight_smile: (Because the three I’ve nominated so far are enough in that case even if I don’t really like ゼロの使い魔 all that much now that I’ve actually read it(and judging by how everyone feels about Haruhi so far and why, I’m not really sure it’d be that great for the book club either))

2 Likes

I can of course only speak for myself, but I don’t really see a point in limiting the number of nominations per person – I’m interested in good book nominations!

Maybe, if we reach the limit of 20 nominations, that may/should change? But we are not there yet, and even if we reach that number, I would suggest to remove repeatedly unpopular nominations first. So, I’m happy for you to nominate moar books :smile:

3 Likes

If you’re that concerned, should we just remove that nomination?

4 Likes

Well, I wouldn’t say I’m all that concerned, but I’d also say it’d be fine to just remove it, unless there’s someone else who wants to keep it in. I don’t think it’s likely to win anyway though, judging by the last few polls

2 Likes

Alright, I think @Naphthalene can just decide for this round. At the very least, I think it would be a good idea to prune the list after the next vote. For example, maybe we should remove all the books that have never gotten over 20%. Even if we’re not close to the 20 nomination limit, I think it’s still nice to keep the list clean, and it could encourage fresh nominations.

6 Likes

I was thinking to remove stuff that have been averaging less than 15% over the past three polls. Never got over 20% might be a better threshold though. Anyway, this will be the third poll and yes, things will get removed. I think a shorter list both encourages new nominations and ensures people check them.

5 Likes