Intermediate Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: セーラー服と機関銃

The poll does not seem to think it’s a tie, though (look at the percentage :crazy_face:)

5 Likes

Yeah, I think 2 weeks may be the best in this situation. I’ll finalize the schedule for Haruhi tonight, then.
It’s been a bit difficult to find nice breaks in the text, so I’ve been delaying it, but I’ll manage.

4 Likes

where would the schedule be posted?

I will make a home thread for the book.
Once it’s done, I’ll put the link in the first post and in the master list of book clubs.

3 Likes

Alright, the home thread is up!

8 Likes

I ended up ordering Convenience Store Woman on the off chance I want to suffer by trying to read two books at once.

6 Likes

Three books.

CoughAriaCough

4 Likes

I think I might use my audible Japan free trial on コンビニ人間. I’ll be interested to see how it goes given that I listen to more books than I read in English

4 Likes

I never include manga when I say “book”.

5 Likes

Then maybe that’s why you keep getting further behind…

6 Likes

I bought these 2 books to try and join in, but this will be a first for me.

11 Likes

よろしくね!!!:slightly_smiling_face::turtle:

4 Likes

This is really useful! (I’m super late to this but…life)
It seems a bit difficult for the first week, but I’ve looked at the ebook and there seems to be a pause somewhere between pages 7 and 20 ending with どんどん大人になっていった。
Could someone with the physical book check if there is indeed a pause and in which page?
It would certainly make the schedule nicer. I don’t think 18 pages the first week while also starting Haruhi is a good idea…:scream:

That was quick.

10 Likes

e41c34287f875012886f52bc1ec4efd01503432763_large

2 Likes

I still think it would be good to stagger them ever so slightly. Maybe start コンビニ a week after Haruhi or something like that.

Yes, I can confirm this in the paperback version. In that version, the book starts on page 7, has a break on page 11, a break on page 18 matching the one you describe, and then another break on page 25. That is the sequence that @daines describes for the hardback version as pages 3-20.

1 Like

By the way, Haruhi starts with only 10 pages on the first week, so that would be “only” 28 pages, a.k.a slightly less than average.
The week after that, we are back to 15 pages (16 with the illustration), so that would mean 33 pages total. Taking the 12 pages per week pace for Combini, the second week would be 12 pages, for a total of 27 pages.

Soooo, I think it might be better to not stagger them, or maybe only stagger them by half a week or something. Or take the 10 pages a week pace for Combini (finishes in 15 weeks, faster than Haruhi anyway)

I’ll take a look at the breaks myself now that I have a copy and see if I can find a 10-12 page average way of splitting the book up.

Staggering by half a week could be interesting just so it doesn’t feel like the deadline is always Friday night.

3 Likes

Instead, everyday becomes a deadline party! :upside_down_face:

11 Likes

:sob: :sob: :sob:

3 Likes