Intermediate Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: セーラー服と機関銃

Her other book was 博士の愛した数式 - The Housekeeper and the Professor 🎓🧮 (Intermediate Book Club) . For comparison with コンビニ人間, hmmm, that’s difficult for me as I read them quite far apart (so my language level probably changed in between). I would say 博士 has some episodes around mathematics which isn’t an easy topic for many people, and there is some vocab around that as well, of course. But although Natively rates them L34 vs. L29, I wouldn’t say they are that far apart language-wise.

4 Likes

Of course, don’t close the poll just because of me! We definitely need more voters (and readers) if they’re interested! I’d give it a day or two at least. Have people moved on to reading on their own, I wonder?

4 Likes

I don’t vote if I’m not sure I’ll end up reading with the club. So maybe there are more people with a fear of commitment?

4 Likes

Oh yeah, that’s a good point as well. We now have the reading challenges where everybody reads on their own, it feels, and also so many reading groups where a small group reads stuff more or less quickly. Plus, we always had variation in the number of poll participants. But 21 is rather at the very low end.

3 Likes

Thanks for the other title! I found it on Natively and it looks like it has ratings for it to be harder than コンビニ人間. But of course it’s still subjective, and コンビニ人間 is one of the easier book titles I read. To me personally it’s even easier than 君の名は.

I can’t say for others, but to me personally often the poll votes go in the direction of a story I am okay with reading, but not わくわく enthusiastically :sweat_smile: .

3 Likes

Well, of course no one has to read with the club if they don’t like the book the club picked, this goes without saying. But this doesn’t explain why people wouldn’t vote in the poll, unless none of the choices are interesting to them. In which case of course, why not nominate a book they’d be interested in? :wink:

5 Likes

Wow I didn’t realize she wrote that book! I read it in English many moons ago and loved it. All the more reason to actually try to keep up with the book club :sweat_smile: if it does get picked!

6 Likes

博士の愛した数式 is still on my list to read, but since I haven’t yet I don’t have that “ohh this author!” push to read 人質の朗読会. And generally I’m very much not inclined to read a book where hostage taking is involved in the setup.

2 Likes

There have been no changes in the poll during the last day, and so I declare our next winning pick to be

僕が愛したすべての君へ

Thanks to @seanblue for nominating it! :tada:

At the same time, we are looking for a volunteer to run this club. Who would be interested to do this? Don’t worry even if you’ve never run a book club before, there are lots of experienced people around for support if you need it, and there are the excellent Tips for Running a WaniKani Book Club with guidelines and templates and such. If you are interested, please say so in this thread.

Unfortunately, we also have to say goodbye to a nomination: リング missed the threshold three times in a row. :cry:

Thanks to everybody who voted, and have fun with our next pick!

17 Likes

Oh I almost forgot to mention: Currently there is a 50% coin cashback campaign on Bookwalker for those who prefer to read that way. The sale lasts only until 2023-01-07T14:59:00Z so make sure you make your purchase in time!

2 Likes

Hey all :wave: just a quick reminder that we still have a minor issue to resolve before we can proceed with reading our next pick! :sweat_smile:

:grin:

4 Likes

I count 10 volunteers!

:upside_down_face:

7 Likes

I can run it. I think I’ve been around long enough that I’m about due…

11 Likes

Nice, thank you! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

If you need any help or anything, just shout please!

3 Likes

Haven’t been participating in a book club for a while so I’ll join this upcoming one :v:

4 Likes

Speaking for myself, probably the time of year. Usually I’m very overly optimistic about being able to finally join the intermediate book club. This time I was like “yeah, there’s no way.” One reason: I’ve been super busy and am now exhausted. The other reason: I am probably going to Japan this spring!! so really want to work on listening and conversation practice at the moment.

9 Likes

Will do! Thanks for the support.

4 Likes

Well I’ll be…

If anyone’s figuring out deliveries to Europe, it’s actually cheaper and faster from Amazon JP than from Amazon US.

4 Likes

Wahh, I was so busy with work and family stuff, I completely missed that a poll was happening!

Not sure if I can for sure keep up with the club, but just bought a kindle copy of the book to try. :smile:

4 Likes

:tada:

Let me know if you want help coming up with a schedule. Since I already read the book I can look for good breaks without risk of spoilers.

@NicoleIsEnough What is a good target number of pages per week? I know a while ago it was 15, but from a quick look it seems like the last handful of books have been closer to 20 pages per week. Also, I only have the digital copy, which (in this case) only has “locations” and not pages. I can certainly try to convert it to be as similar to the physical copy as possible, but I don’t how well that will work. (Assuming @maskedkoala wants my help anyway.)

6 Likes