Intermediate Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: セーラー服と機関銃

Oh, thanks for the reminder! I browsed the thread but could not find that old discussion, but now I remember. Sounds interesting in any case :slight_smile:

And, I also want to finish it this year ^^

1 Like

Well no blood from me but the copy I found at BookOff had some dried blood inside.
And had an interesting translation of the title, “The Niece of Time” - The clerk at the book store checked it a hundred times to ensure it was the same book since the Amazon version seems to have the updated copy xD

2 Likes

That’s a subtitle, not a translation of the title.

Took me some time to understand why you were talking about finding blood in a book off.

2 Likes

Lol it was in response to the other post

1 Like

Alright…?

That subtitle is also in the book image of the thread so I don’t really understand what’s confusing.

EDIT: I have the book but I’m still reading コンビニ人間 :flushed:

3 Likes

Im looking to see if people are interested in a DanMachi book club, if you are interested please come and vote/say so!

1 Like

Given that there is only about 8 weeks of reading left for 氷菓, I’ve started thinking about nominating a few new books, as I mentioned before. In preparation for this, I would like to follow up on the discussion in the Beginner Book Club about renaming the middle option in the difficulty poll. My suggestion is to use “Medium effort” instead of “Just right”. This would be used for any new proposals from now on, but not for already existing proposals (who should be picked or phased out over time anyways).

What do y’all think about this? Is there a better wording we could use? Or is there something even better we could do?

2 Likes

Moderate effort?

4 Likes

Sounds very nice!

How do you perceive the gap between „moderate effort“ and „challenging“? Sounds very large to me, but maybe that’s just my non-native speaker brain?

Hard to say because they use different terms. Challenging could be “significant effort”, but the difference is still very subjective.

By the way, that would make the last option equivalent to “so much effort my head might explode”. :laughing:

4 Likes

I think I like these :slight_smile:

With this the new scale would be as follows:

• No effort at all
  • Minimal effort
  • Moderate effort
  • Significant effort
  • So much effort my head might explode

Opinions, anyone?

5 Likes

Well the last one was a joke. :sweat_smile: I’m just not sure how else to express something significantly more taxing than “significant effort” using the word “effort”.

1 Like

All the effort, to mirror the first level of no effort?

1 Like

I don’t think “all the effort” is a thing.

12 Likes

You beat me to it!

1 Like

Awww, I bet you would have put more effort into yours as well :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Nah, that’s what meme generators are for, haha.

2 Likes