Intermediate Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: セーラー服と機関銃

Gauging general interest in reading two books outside of the normal book club.

魔法少女育成計画. I’m probably going to read this after コンビニ人間 in place of キッチン, so I’m seeing who’s interested in joining me. If no one is, or it’s too small of a group, I’ll just read it on my own.

• I’d join a non-scheduled (misc discussion/question) book club
  • I’d join a scheduled book club at a pace of 20 pages or less a week
  • I’d join a scheduled book club at a pace of more than 20 pages a week
  • I’d rather wait to see if it wins as an official pick for the book club
  • I’m not interested in reading this book

0 voters

獣の奏者. I didn’t nominate this for the book club because it’s a little too long. If we do some kind of club, we’d likely want to read at least the first two books (out of four) since they combine into a single story. The first book is 360 pages and the second is 488 pages (the third and fourth for reference are over 500 pages each). I’d probably aim to start reading this in December or even a bit later depending on what else is going on.

• I’d join a non-scheduled (misc discussion/question) book club
  • I’d join a scheduled book club at a pace of 20 pages or less a week
  • I’d join a scheduled book club at a pace of more than 20 pages a week
  • I’d rather you nominate it for the book club even though it’s 360 pages long and would take 24 weeks to finish at the intermediate book club pace
  • I’m not interested in reading this book

0 voters

2 Likes

Is there still no ebook version of 魔法少女育成計画 (I couldn’t find it in the usual pages, just the manga)? I’d probably like to read it but shipping is… an issue.

There is now! I just noticed it for the first time yesterday. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

It’s literally just released. I saw it available for pre-order a few days ago.

3 Likes

You can nominate just the first half of the first book. It’s an independent book too!

It’s only 192 pages!

1 Like

Wooow, that’s some perfect timing. I literally looked for it before the voting and didn’t find it.

Just went to check my usual go-to (ebookjapan) and it seems it’s there as well with a nice “New” tag.
Now I can vote on this poll :kissing_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

Maybe it would have won if the ebook was available at the time. :sweat_smile:

Nah, reading only a quarter of the story isn’t ideal.

1 Like

It was okay, actually :thinking:
It stops at the reasonable point. There’s some foreshadowing about what comes next (I assume since I only read that one) but the action is mostly wrapped up at that point.

3 Likes

You can nominate it if you want. :stuck_out_tongue:

Both books I’m interested in reading. :sob:

1 Like

I plan to read 獣の奏者 on my own at some point, but I could read it with you all instead.

5 Likes

But I read it already :open_mouth:
I’ll read it with the group, but I’d rather nominate something else.

1 Like

That would be a necessary prerequisite for me as well…

glances at pile of JLPT books

3 Likes

Wow, I bought the first volume physical because there was no ebook version, still haven’t read it and now it’s available digitally…

Well, at least now I have a physical copy, even if it cost me double the price, so it’s not all bad.

2 Likes

It’s ok, physical is at least twice as good as digital!

5 Likes

Ten times better I’d say. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’ll just be thankful it doesn’t cost about 7000 yen then :laughing:

5 Likes

For those interested in reading it as ebook, it’s currently (until 5th of September) discounted on Bookwalker (and maybe on other platforms too?):

4 Likes

I think they are almost always discounted on Bookwalker, eBookJapan, and Amazon Japan all at the same time.

1 Like

Yes, I think so too, but was too lazy to check elsewhere :slight_smile: Therefore I wanted to point this out for others who might not have that bit of intel.

2 Likes