Intermediate Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: セーラー服と機関銃

Join the Beginner’s Book Club! There’s lots of people of varying commitment levels and they’re nice.

13 Likes

I just ordered キノの旅 :slight_smile: 3€ shipping isn’t too terrible, thanks german amazon

3 Likes

Make sure you got the book and not the manga!

2 Likes

I think you came across as a bit harsher than you may have intended earlier, and I think the people who have been here a while and had negative experiences may have sounded a bit more callous than they intended. They are still nice people though, and I assume the same of you. There are certain people who have been in the book clubs and around for a while and had a negative experience with people dropping out after voting, and I think they were just voicing that view and trying to figure out how to address that to be fair to the people who do end up staying. In the end, they realized that to exclude people or assume how they would behave would not be nice. So on both sides, I think people should just realize that you all are really nice people and have fun reading books even if it is not the books that each of us really want. Compromise is like a pickle, it looks kind of strange, it is not for everyone, but sometimes it pairs well with a sandwich. That said, people could also always read more than one book, and we could always form multiple intermediate groups :slightly_smiling_face:! Anyway, sorry for jumping into a conversation that I was not a part of. You all seem pretty nice, and I think you guys are just misunderstanding each others’ tones so I thought I would add my two euros. :turtle::wave:

18 Likes

Yeah, it’s the right one, i double-checked :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Such a good steed onion turtle

4 Likes

You moved?! :heart_eyes: To where?!

3 Likes

Yeah but then you were being passive aggressive about it.

Yeah, it seems like everyone cares about the book club, but you know how it goes on the internet when people disagree about whats best.

And yeah there was the thing someone posted about thinking angel tenshi preferred if everyone read separate books which just seemed like a huge misunderstanding.

5 Likes

Actually, despite I have voted, I didn’t like the winner so long. But it’s a democracy. しょうがないな〜
So, as I don’t know the story, I’ll give it a try and read along.

1 Like

Newbie here, I’m going to try and read along with you guys but this is definitely a stretch for me. One option missing from the second poll is the one I would probably pick which is

I only have time for one book but i’ll Pick the book I find most interesting, or that there is the most interest in.

2 Likes

That option is in the poll.

At this point it would be one of those two being selected, so you just need to look up their summaries and pick the options for only reading the one you think is more interesting

1 Like

I’d probably start reading both and make a decision a chapter or so in. Based on the summaries I think they both look pretty good.

3 Likes

Ahh, yeah I see what you mean in that case. Sean is replying so he’ll prolly say something smaht

3 Likes

It’s okay, I was just trying to get an estimate anyway. Basically I wanted to know if the book club would fall apart if we tried to do both at the same time.

1 Like

I just wanted to came by and say that I reeeeally want to join, but I still lack the needed knowledge to read without furigana (and probably don’t know enough grammar). But you’ll definitely see me in maybe half a year or so!:3 I’ll work hard to be here :triumph:

8 Likes

You can try to grab one of the versions with furigana if you can find it.

6 Likes

6 Likes

I jumped the gun and bought last year’s book :frowning:

3 Likes

I went with furigana too! No shame :sunglasses:
There are links to furigana versions in the first post =)

3 Likes