Intermediate Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: セーラー服と機関銃

Here’s a nomination I picked up in Japan the other day. Honestly not sure whether this is better suited to Beginner or Intermediate, but I decided to put it here in the end because classical Japanese. I thought of you when I saw this, @seanblue. :slightly_smiling_face:

マンガ✖くり返しでスイスイ覚えられる百人一首

Smoothly Memorise with Manga and Repetition: The Hyakunin Isshu

Summary

Japanese

●累計10万部突破の「マンガ×くり返し」シリーズに「百人一首」の本が登場!
百人一首は、さまざまな教科の先取り学習にぴったりです。
百人一首を覚えると、こんな効果があります。
1)昔の言葉、古典に親しむことができ、言葉の力がつく………国語の成績アップ、語彙力アップ
2)作者が生きた時代の出来事を知り、歴史の勉強になる………社会(歴史)の成績アップ
3)季節の移り変わりや恋の歌を知り、心が豊かになる…………表現力アップ

百人一首を暗誦することで、優れた和歌を通して言葉の決まりや表現法、
昔の人の考え方などを身につけることができます。
こうした知識は、このさき本格的に始まる古典や歴史の学習にも大いに役立つものです。

この本では、百人一首に収められている和歌をマンガで楽しく紹介しています。
難しい言葉には解説をつけ、覚えやすいように語呂合わせも紹介しています。
また、作者のプロフィールや歴史的な背景も取り上げ、無理なく歴史の知識も身につくように構成しています。
覚えやすいよう、全体を5章に分け、復習クイズをつけました。
ご家庭や学校で百人一首に親しむときの「虎の巻」として、また、国語や歴史の勉強のきっかけとして、
この本を役立てていただければ幸いです。

English

Simply put, it’s a book to help kids (specifically, twelve-year-olds, according to the cover) memorise the Hyakunin Isshu, the Hundred Poems which are used on karuta cards. I’m not expecting us to memorise the poems, but it’d be great for finding out more about them. Each poem has a double-page spread, with the poems (including modern-equivalent readings, if they differ), a brief explanation of the meaning, a handy mnemonic for memorisation, a single four- (or sometimes three-) panel manga strip illustrating the meaning, and an explanation.

Availability

Amazon
Can’t seem to pin down an e-book version…

Personal Opinion

Well, aside from the lurking Chihayafuru fanclub which I know exists around here, it might be good for us to get some exposure to actual aspects of Japanese culture, not just the works of fiction.

Pros and Cons for the Book Club

Pros

• Quite well divided into bite-sized chunks - no need to put a break in mid-chapter simply to stop the page count getting too high.
  • It’s intended for twelve-year-olds, which might peg it below intermediate level, but on the other hand, it’s therefore specifically aimed at people who are still learning the language.

Cons

• It’s a reasonably solid book - 240 pages. I mean, there’s a hundred poems - if we read five a week, it’d take us twenty weeks to get through the book, even without the foreword and afterword pages at each end.
  • Everything’s got furigana.
  • Seemingly no eBook version.

Pictures

Images of the prologue

Random poem pages

Soooo tempting to include the ちはやぶる poem here, but I’ma keep that hidden as incentive for people to vote. :stuck_out_tongue:

Difficulty Poll

How much effort would you need to read this book?

• No effort at all
  • Minimal effort
  • Just right
  • Challenging
  • Impossible, even with everyone’s help
  • I don’t know (please click this if you’re not voting seriously)

0 voters

7 Likes