Intermediate Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: セーラー服と機関銃

They do?!

I had no idea. That’s good to know!

They do at least when I order books from there. I’ve gotten the deposit back almost every time.

Is Autumn Prison officially the second book? I would like to join in when it begins (although I may buy the book regardless since it looks interesting).

I can’t say with 100% certainty, but it’s listed up in the OP, so I believe it is!

Yep… It says Book 2: Autumn Prison in the first post. Mine is already on the way!

1 Like

Gene Parmesan!?

AH!!! He got me again!!!

It the best representation of me excited that I’ve found.

Awesome. Looks like it’s a trip to the bookstore after work!

1 Like

I received my copy of Autumn Prison a few days ago. My reading level is probably way too low to keep up with anyone doing more than one sentence per day :wink: but I’m still going to try.

As I missed the first round entirely, how long approximately before we start with Autumn Prison?

2 Likes

Someone posted a calendar that showed them finishing the book around Oct 15th… so after that unfortunately. You can get a head start though. I will be starting it as soon as I get it because my reading skill is still low.

Or you can try to power through some grammar before then, in the hopes of boosting your reading power. ^^

2 Likes

@willem3141 and @oryantge: I think you’re about right - we’re currently reading at a pace of two weeks per chapter and have two and a half chapters remaining so Oct 15th fits with that.

In terms of reading before the official start - I recommend it (so long as you don’t reveal any plot points etc on here). My reading level is not that high either and so I gave our current book a quick read through before we started (despite some people insisting everyone wait). I missed huge chunks and was thoroughly confused by the end, but now that I’m reading it again and going more slowly, I have a much better understanding and I think that first read through was immensely beneficial.

If you haven’t read much Japanese before, I would recommend using this kind of fast and slow reading style. I try not to get too bogged down in details or unknown words at first - just power through to the end of a chapter / section / scene. Usually I’ll just mark words I don’t know with a line next to them. I’ll then read again, checking new words / words I previously marked. This part can be frustrating as it’s hard to enjoy the story when you keep interrupting the flow - but it’s not so bad if you already know the gist of what’s going on. If I have time, I read a third time to try and cement what I looked up.

Obviously this is quite time consuming, but it’s worked for me and I’ve found it makes the whole thing more enjoyable than slogging through with dictionary constantly in hand.

Anyway, looking forward to reading with you both!

5 Likes

Thanks that is very clear! I’ll try that, Reading has been my worst skill so far. So I’m hoping I don’t rage quit.

Ah, thanks for the advice! I’ll just start reading and I’ll see how it goes.

Going through some grammar before we start officially may not be a bad idea either :blush:

So if I wanted to participate, I’d have to add my name in the OP and purchase Autumn Prison before October 15th? (Just to make sure I understood correctly)

Edit: Ok autumn prison looks so awesome I’m going to get it anyway lol. These book club threads are awesome for finding some good books :tada:

2 Likes

Yep, that’s right.

1 Like

I’m considering joining, but does anyone know where I can buy the book online? I am a US resident, and would prefer an analog copy.

I have a question here. Those of us reading No. 6 (on schedule) should finish on October the 15, but there are other people who either received the book late or other things have come up preventing them to fit with in the timeline. Would it be possible to start the second book on a later week? Just to allow for stragglers to participate the final discussion of No. 6? At the least those of us reading should have a reprieve of a week to finish our discussions before diving into another book. What do everyone else thinks? I’m just throwing this proposal out there so it’s okay if other people don’t want to do that.

2 Likes

I got mine from amazon. I bought a paperback from a store in Japan for $11 and no shipping.

2 Likes

Thanks for the quick response. I just ordered.

“Estimated delivery: Sept. 25, 2017 - Oct. 11, 2017”

1 Like