Intermediate Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: セーラー服と機関銃

Aww, it’s too bad about the other poll - I liked how ‘hangover started on Jan 4’. :wink:

2 Likes

Looks pretty settled at this point.

3 Likes

Indeed. Barely any new voters, so I closed the poll.

That means we lost quite a few voters, as the previous two polls (for Haruhi/Konbini and Kitchen) were at ~40 people, and now we only had 27…
I hope the number of readers does not drop at the same rate :thinking:

4 Likes

Kinda fast, don’t you think? It’s only been four days…

Plus, the Hyakunin Isshu book somehow slipped from equal third to equal fifth…

And only one vote for Tokyo Cat Stroll.

Better than the zero for Sake Pairing, I suppose. @elynchbell, you didn’t vote, not even for your own book?

3 Likes

There’s been only two votes in the past 24h, so, no. :woman_shrugging: the poll was for max 1 week, and I don’t really see an upset happening at this time.

While it is too bad that we don’t have more voters, as @NicoleIsEnough said, I kinda felt that the forum generally gets quieter during this period of the year, so I’m not too surprised.

3 Likes

Hmmm, Hyouka won… I wasn’t planning on reading that one, simply because I’m not that interested in it (plus, it saves me having to place an order from Japan again), but I’ve recently figured out how to use my kindle with my japanese amazon account as well (I know, I’m way behind xD ), so I might use this one to figure out if I can sustain reading it on a screen rather than pages (don’t have high hopes though, I’m a traditionalist when it comes to books). We’ll see.

Also, as @Naphthalene said, I wouldn’t be too concerned with the lack of voters. It is pretty close to Christmas and the end of the year, so chances are people are just busier. I’m sure it’ll pick up next year. You know, New Year’s resolutions about reading more and all that :joy:

4 Likes

I think I’ll join in the intermediate book club again for this one. I’m interested.

3 Likes

For the next time you do a poll to pick a book I think it would be a good idea to leave out how many people voted on the difficulty score since it makes the poll a bit confusing to read. I think myself and a few others were confused and thought they were current votes and that may have swayed the vote a bit. Either way I’m looking forward to the next book especially since it starts during winter break so I can chill and maybe get ahead for when next semester starts and I get busy again.

7 Likes

I wasn’t planning on reading this either, but I did enjoy the anime a great deal. Maybe I’ll give it a shot…

Ah, nice. Kinokiniya’s got it in stock. And… what appears to be a Chinese version…

4 Likes

氷菓 won :partying_face::partying_face::partying_face:

Since I nominated it I can make the threads for this one (unless someone else really wants to?).
I don’t know how my schedule will change for next year yet but I expect it won’t be a problem.
Someone else will have to do the schedule though (woops), because as usual I will be using an ebook.

3 Likes

I can say for myself that I’ve been having trouble balancing work and book club stuff. In addition to that, I have a ton of other books I’ve been meaning to read. So, after the academic term ends I’ll have some more free time (hopefully) to finish books that I’ve put on the backburner. I’m sorry to everyone for pretty much not being able to actively participate in the threads during Haruhi and most of Kino. I’ve decided to take a break until I’ve finished things I’ve wanted to read but haven’t for a while.

1 Like

I‘ve made a thread generator that I‘ve so far successfully used for the Kitchen threads and home page - maybe you are interested in trying it out as well?

1 Like

I can try to use it when the time comes. I say try because it looks like it will need a bit of initial investigation :eyes: but I’m curious about it.

2 Likes

You should host it somewhere so people don’t have to install a bunch of stuff to get it working. :stuck_out_tongue:

Meanwhile, I’ll just continue taking the lazy approach and create my threads manually.

1 Like

The problem with hosting it is the handling of the generated files though:-(
I‘m open for ideas! - but let’s move the discussion to its thread plz

1 Like

I finally had time to check the results in details, and we have lost two nominations due to lack of interest:
Tokyo Cat Stroll and A lollipop or a bullet. I’m half tempted to remove Sake pairing as well (0%…), but I’ll keep the rule of “at least three votes” for now.
We thus have 11 nominations at the moment, which seems fair.

2 Likes

I can’t decide if I should bother buying 氷菓 considering that I’ll also be reading 獣の奏者 at that time. Reading two books on a schedule at the same time might not leave room for anything else…

5 Likes

Do it!
Suffer with me

4 Likes

Is there a link for a place where I can get Japanese ebooks. I assume its much easier to get ebooks than regular books due to postage etc.

2 Likes