Intermediate Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: セーラー服と機関銃

I watched the anime before and felt like reading it eventually but didn’t know if it was worth it or not. Guess I’ll give it a try then :upside_down_face:

From Volume 1, of course.

8 Likes

I’ve also been thinking of reading it since I saw it on floflo, but I have a bunch of other stuff to read at the moment.
Still, it’s on my radar :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Yeah, I don’t know when I’ll get around to it either, to be honest. I should at least finish 狼と香辛料 before doing that, and I’m still some 10 volumes away from that, so… never, I guess? :joy: Nah, but at least a few (many) months.

4 Likes

It seems like a lot of us are interested in reading re Zero. Maybe it could be a good choice for a futur book club :wink:

6 Likes

I actually considered nominating it for the intermediate book club, but I figured it may be a bit too difficult (according to floflo, it has a pretty huge amount of unique vocab compared to the current nominations that are on floflo, at least, and it doesn’t seem that easy otherwise either).

Well, I guess it’s just about 100 more than Haruhi

3 Likes

Word count doesn’t really make a book hard, grammar does. It’s easy to do a dictionary lookup, but checking grammar can be a lot trickier.

So, just to say I don’t think the number of words alone is a good metric for the difficulty of a book. (Not saying it’s not a hard book, just that there’s no evidence it is hard :p)

3 Likes

Needing to look up a lot of vocab does make it take longer to read though(if you have to look it up, at least), so I don’t really think it’s possible to say it’s entirely irrelevant either. (But I guess you just said that vocab alone isn’t enough, so maybe we don’t actually disagree on that point)

Learning/looking up enough vocab also usually tends to take longer than any grammar I may have to look up for me personally though, so I kind of naturally end up using that as an estimate of how much I have to learn before I can read something somewhat comfortably, which I realise may not be the case for everyone else.

At any rate, this page seems to have a sample if anyone wants to judge how hard or easy re:zero is for themselves: Re:ゼロから始める異世界生活 1 - 長月達平/大塚真一郎 - 漫画・無料試し読みなら、電子書籍ストア ブックライブ

8 Likes

It can make things more tedious and time consuming though. Like the difference between chapters 4 and 5 from Kino.

Also, it’s very possible that Re: Zero is too gruesome for book club.

7 Likes

Well, it’s available on floflo, though. So you can just read with that open at freq1, then just look up when there’s a word you don’t know et voilà… (then add/trash/ignore as appropriate). That’s almost immediate.
My strategy is usually to stop reading once I have added a certain amount of words (that would be 10 these days).

Yeah… that prologue was pretty graphic…
Hopefully the rest of the book isn’t like that, but at the same time the plot revolves around the main character dying again and again, so… uh… maybe a bit much for me.

1 Like

Oh, you mean like, you stop reading after 3 sentences? :joy_cat:

SCNR! I know I should not extrapolate - but with キノ it’s sometimes exactly that for me :slight_smile:

10 Likes

That’s kind of a positive for me, but I get it that might not be good in general for the club. Even so, I would probably prefer to read it at whatever speed I want anyway, so I wouldn’t vote for it.

5 Likes

… a bit more than that (it was 3-5 pages while I was reading SAO). But yeah, I see how that might not work for everyone.

3 Likes

Yeah but like people already done we could just make a separate book club for re zero or create an expert book club. If we go really slowly and help each other everything should be just fine. I guess
Here i’m just wondering:

Would you be up to try to read Re Zero if it was in a bookclub.

• Yes
  • No
  • Maybe
  • Only in a few months

0 voters

1 Like

Except that ignored stuff comes back after 30 days. And the second time a word comes up you won’t see it again in Floflo (and assuming you’re only using Floflo as a dictionary you likely won’t remember the meaning).

4 Likes

Right, that’s why my experience can’t really be generalized I guess.
(I didn’t need to see again freq 3+ words since I learned those as I went and I finished all books I read with floflo in less than 30 days… also freq 2 words usually didn’t matter)
For instance, for Re:Zero, I have only 300 ish unknown freq3+ words, so even if I actually don’t know any of those, it would indeed take me 30 days to read, adding 10 words a day.
Hm, I guess that could be a nice indicator of what someone can read with floflo (word count is low enough that you can learn everything in less than 30 days)

2 Likes
Hmmm maybe my mathematics is broken

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Your maths are broken :slight_smile:
Or, specifically, you are missing an important bit of data.

Spoiler-ed in case you’d like to figure it out first

It’s 3-5 pages per 10 words. I’m adding 10 words per day now, but I was going at 40 per day at the time :slight_smile:, so 12-20 pages per day :wink:

1 Like

Now that makes sense altogether now :wink: Thanks for saving my brain!

1 Like

That being said, for full disclosure, I took a 25+ days break in the middle of reading it while I was battling the last couple of WK levels. I had to re-ignore a bunch of words afterwards, but it was fairly straight forward (they were mostly uninterrupted freq 1).

2 Likes

If enough people are interested in reading it, but not necessarily in a book club format or right now, another option could be to make a discussion thread (like the ones for SAO and some other books) that people can post in whenever they do end up reading the book.

4 Likes