Intermediate Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: セーラー服と機関銃

That’s filthy lies and propaganda :wink:

7 Likes

I’d be keen! But maybe after キノ and all other book club books I’ll be ready simultaneously.

3 Likes

So what I’m hearing is, there’s interest, but it needs to wait until at least April.
Alright, thanks for the feedback!

3 Likes

There, I fixed that for you. :wink:

5 Likes

Weelllllll :wink:

4 Likes

Just chiming in to say that while I would normally be very interested in reading 涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱, as I’m planning on reading both キノの旅 and 君の膵臓を食べたい, I wouldn’t be able to participate either.

5 Likes

How about one week?

This is actually a semi-serious suggestion. If it was in English and I was really into it and I had time, I’d expect reading it to take a day. I’d like to get close to that speed in Japanese someday

2 Likes

Have fun with all your speed reading. I want to keep my sanity for the time being. :joy:

7 Likes

I don’t necessarily think that’s unreasonable. I read my last book in something like three weeks, but the holidays were really slowing me down. But, I think I’d lose almost everyone in that case, and also there wouldn’t seem to be much point in a club! I’d probably keep those sorts of deadlines personal.

3 Likes

Could be a 多読 club instead. We don’t have to be reading the same books, but instead just give recommendations to each other (or discuss plots and such in cases where multiple people have read the same things) :thinking: I don’t know how well that would work, though.

I’m up for reading ハルヒ in 10 days, by the way (well, I guess it depends on length too, but let’s go with that).

2 Likes

I mean, even doing a book a month, that’s potentially 12 books a year, which is more than I read in English (anymore).

4 Likes

I don’t even think I could do it in the 7 weeks originally mentioned (40 pages a week). The most I’ve read in a week is probably 15 pages of a book + 40 pages of manga.

I’m already going to be pushing my limits (ability + time) next “round” with 15-20 pages a week of キノの旅, ~35 pages a week of Aria, and ~20 pages a week of 少女終末旅行. And it’s yet to be seen if I can even handle that.

4 Likes

Also, I think it would be fine if people read the same book fast and then slow, or vice versa. I’m already planning reread 時をかける少女 at least once after we finish, it should be good for reinforcing the grammar and vocab I’ve picked up without it feeling like work :laughing:

I read 74 books (in English) on the Kindle app alone last year… I have to admit I was surprised by that number, I went whole months without using it

2 Likes

I believe in you! I also think it’s fine to let yourself just not understand some of the stuff you read. I don’t think many people can read as much as you’re reading with the level of depth you seem to research what you read.

6 Likes

Yeah, I kinda mentioned above, I like the idea of having a group that just reads things fast, but still being able to have other groups that might read the same book more in depth and slower later.

Edit: Also that is A LOT of books. I spend too much time on youtube videos.

5 Likes

I probably watched a ridiculous amount of YouTube too. I’m a media consuming monster!

cookiemonster_loves_cookies

9 Likes

I don’t think I’d really enjoy reading if I didn’t understand enough. The lesson I learned when reading Kiki was don’t try to understand 100%. But if I understand too little (<80-90%?) it’s not really enjoyable.

I already understand at least that much of 時をかける少女 reading on my own, and book club helps me understand even more than that. But I spend a lot of time looking up vocab in order to get that understanding. At 40 pages a week, I’d have no choice but to just skip entire sentences and passages, which I rarely do now. I kinda did that once with the first volume of 約束のネバーランド, and it really bothered me.

4 Likes

Well, I understand! Luckily we’ll get faster and faster the more we go, presumably. :clinking_glasses:

2 Likes

That’s my goal for this year. Only read 6 last year :confounded: (but, well, I was using floflo to learn words as I go, so it’s a different approach anyway)

4 Likes

My goal is three books, not counting 時をかける少女. :slight_smile:

5 Likes