Intermediate Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: セーラー服と機関銃

The problem with hosting it is the handling of the generated files though:-(
I‘m open for ideas! - but let’s move the discussion to its thread plz

1 Like

I finally had time to check the results in details, and we have lost two nominations due to lack of interest:
Tokyo Cat Stroll and A lollipop or a bullet. I’m half tempted to remove Sake pairing as well (0%…), but I’ll keep the rule of “at least three votes” for now.
We thus have 11 nominations at the moment, which seems fair.

2 Likes

I can’t decide if I should bother buying 氷菓 considering that I’ll also be reading 獣の奏者 at that time. Reading two books on a schedule at the same time might not leave room for anything else…

5 Likes

Do it!
Suffer with me

4 Likes

Is there a link for a place where I can get Japanese ebooks. I assume its much easier to get ebooks than regular books due to postage etc.

2 Likes

The Buying Books section of the first post in this thread has some info on different places to get ebooks.

2 Likes

why do I have to order $50 worth of books to get free shipping?!
and why don’t they have a shop in Brisbane?
grumble grumble

4 Likes

Bought my Hyouka today.

Discovered while in the shop that for some reason I can’t see, Kinokuniya’s website uses this image for the book cover, which is identical to the book itself except that the pink text inexplicably reads “You can’t escape”, and is written slightly lower down. I was concerned I was buying volume 2 or something, except that subsequent volumes in the series have completely different titles, not different subtitles.

That said, is “the niece of time” supposed to be a pun on “the nick of time”, or just an error?

3 Likes

Incidentally I was at Kinokuniya Singapore today, and to practice my book-finding foo I also looked for Hyouka. I was quite confused because I had never noticed this subtitle on the cover of the electronic version :thinking:

6 Likes

Aye, I never noticed the subtitle until today either.

How come yours has an obi? Mine doesn’t…

1 Like

No idea, tbh… And I was quite taken aback by the colour mismatch between obi and coverpage :nauseated_face:

2 Likes

Many times publishers use different printers for their books rather than transport books as they are very heavy and cost a lot. The artwork is generally recreated by the new printer, as the previous printer owns the plates for the previous cover and will never release except at an extremely high cost and the fact the plates will not fit on the new printers printing machine, due to all of this there is usually minor changes to covers as it cheaper to recreate the cover, along with the original publisher may have sold the publishing rights to another publisher thus also causing changes especially in different countries. The best way to know is check inside the book for the Published Edition notes and look at the dates published and what edition the book is and where it was printed. This is also reflected in electronic books that are the same but released in different countries.

3 Likes

Thanks for the lesson, but @NicoleIsEnough’s comment was more on the fact that the obi is green while the book is primarily reddish - that is, the obi is glaringly different to the book, rather than being not quite the same colour.

Adding to this weirdness, plugging the book’s ISBN into an ISBN search engine gives a book with the title “You Can’t Escape [Japanese Edition]”, but with the “The niece of time” version of the cover image…

2 Likes

Probably your book is something like the Blue Mauritius misprint :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

My book’s the same one linked in the OP. It’s the websites that call it weird things.

2 Likes

You know what’s the most spooky about these changing title pages? When I go to the Amazon page, it says “The niece of time” but when I take a look inside, the cover suddenly displays “You can’t escape” :scream: Maybe there is a subtle message in it altogether? …

4 Likes

Just bought 氷菓 yesterday. :partying_face: I do like when the ebook version is less expensive than the paper book - doesn’t feel so bad to not have the book. xD

4 Likes

I bought it a few days ago. I wanted to freak everyone (especially @Belthazar) out by showing yet another cover, but I only remember at inconvenient times – like right now.

5 Likes

The solution to this is clearly just that we need to remind you every time we see you post here, until you actually can do it

4 Likes