Intermediate Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: セーラー服と機関銃

Alright, I promised you a poll since last year, so here it is!

Happy New Poll!!! :tada:

Have a look at the List of Proposed Books section in the first post for details on each book. Every book has a difficulty associated with it (based on book club members voting, thus subjective) out of 5, where 1 means “no effort at all” and 5 means “so much effort my head might explode”. The difficulty is annotated in the poll in square brackets after the book’s name, together with the book’s level on Natively (you can find the links to Natively for all books in the first post if you want to have a look at the gradings in detail).

Do not rely solely on difficulty or Natively level when making a choice. Please have a look at nomination posts if you haven’t already.

Expected reading pace: We aim to read books at ~15 pages per week (that number might vary a bit throughout, depending on the book’s breaks and chapters). For manga, depending on difficulty and chapter length, we will probably read one to several chapters per week. The pick’s exact reading schedule will be negotiated before the book club kicks off.

Short book rule: If the first place ist taken by a pick that will take us 6 weeks or less to read, we will read the one in second place directly after it, without running a poll in between. I haven’t checked in detail, but I’d assume that this basically applies in case one of the manga wins the poll.

Start of Book Club: We will start the next book on Feb 18th (after a one-week break).

Poll duration: I will close the poll within a week (and most likely before that), whenever it looks like voting has dried up. You can choose up to 5 options.

• きらきらひかる [2.67 / L32??]
  • 日本人の知らない日本語 (Manga) [2.44 / L28]
  • 天気の子 [2.67 / L31]
  • ガイコツ書店員本田さん (Manga) [2.45 / L32??]
  • リング [2.67 / L34]
  • 穴 [2 / L37]
  • 人質の朗読会 [2.43 / L30??]
  • 死にたいけどトッポッキは食べたい [2.8 / L30??]
  • 嵐のピクニック [3 / L30??]
  • 推しの子 (Manga) [2.86 / L31]
  • 禎子の千羽鶴 [2.29 / L29]
  • 西の魔女が死んだ [2.29 / L27]