Intermediate Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: セーラー服と機関銃

I have the same issue :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

If the one I voted for wins, does that mean I have to put down 本好き for long enough to actually read along? :upside_down_face:

7 Likes

Yes.

Don’t listen to Naph’s advice on this matter. :stuck_out_tongue:

11 Likes

No. Just read moar.

Do not listen to Belthazar’s opinion on this matter. :wink:

13 Likes

A quick note for the Bookwalker addicts regular customers out there: They have a golden week sale going on right now which gives some discounts (on select few books) and large-ish coin cashbacks (on about every book). This sale lasts until 2021-05-09T14:59:00Z (in your local time). If y’all get your votes in quickly, you might be able to lower the price tag a bit when purchasing the poll’s winner :slight_smile:

6 Likes

The current leader of the poll is available here:
(コーヒーが冷めないうちに - 文芸・小説 川口俊和:電子書籍試し読み無料 - BOOK☆WALKER -)

6 Likes

I bought this one anyway a few months back and was prepared to read it on my own - so although there are others I’d like to read, I’m really crossing my fingers for this one! :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I saw this book at my local library, when it was still open… I’m waiting for it to open again (should happen soon), and then I’ll read it - but sadly not with the book club because at top I can loan it for 3 weeks.

Though it’s not like I can’t wait for it, because I already read it in translation, and it felt a bit cheap (regarding the methods the author wants to make you shed some tears), but I still think it would be a nice read in Japanese.

4 Likes

I watched the movie and I kind of felt the same way. It’s still a nice and touching story, and I’d probably read it if it gets picked, but I can live with only having seen the movie.
But who knows, maybe there’ll be more details and more backstory in the book :grin:
(Idk if this counts as a spoiler, but I put one in for people who don’t want to read impressions before reading the book for themselves)

7 Likes

You’re right, I’ve added a spoiler tag to my part as well.

I’ve also seen the movie (thanks to JFF online), and it left out parts from the first book, and added some from the second book. So if anyone only read the first one and plans to read the sequels, don’t watch the movie, because spoilers.

2 Likes

Heh, I saw the movie at the JFF last year too. Nominated the English version of the book to the English book club I’m in, but it didn’t get selected.

2 Likes

I just realized that I never properly followed up to this. I was thinking that maybe it might be worthwhile to factor such information (i.e. “amount of text per page”) into the weekly schedules, but from your answers it seems that the difficulty of the text is more important than the actual amount of text anyways. (And, as we know, the difficulty is much more, … erm, difficult to judge beforehand.)

5 Likes

Alright, voting has died off, so that’s it.
The winner (by a fairly large margin) is コーヒが冷めないうちに :tada:

@Kawazoe, since it was your nomination, do you want to take care of the threads?

7 Likes

Heh, whoops. I forgot to come back and see if I needed to reposition my votes. Oh well, my sixth preference made it to third place anyway.

Time for another trip in to Kinokuniya.

2 Likes

If you mean ガイコツ, it’s in second place (ex-aequo). It would have been, well, still in second place with one extra vote.

2 Likes

Other than that, we have one nomination that was removed this time for performing poorly over the past three polls (変愛サイケデリック, with a 0% on the last poll, so no regrets, I guess).
We also have 5 nominations that are one their second strike and might be removed next time.
All You Need Is Kill
もやしもん - Tales of Agriculture
ブギーポップは笑わない
言の葉の庭
ポーション頼みで生き延びます!

Finally, I need someone to update the title again :sweat_smile:

11 Likes

Funnily enough, I read the first chapter of this book in English, because a friend suggested it to me. So now I’ll get to finish it in Japanese! :slight_smile:

I just ordered it, looks like it’ll arrive in 2 weeks so plenty of time.

5 Likes

Great! I ordered it!
Hopefully I can exercise some self control this time, and not read the whole thing at once. I learn so much more when I take the time to look up things, butきみの名は was pretty gripping🤦

3 Likes

This book I think is a quieter read…when I read it in English, it felt like a book to read on a sleepy Sunday morning with some coffee or tea.

Glad to hear that きみの名は was a page turner! I will have to check it out myself some time. The movie was fantastic.

3 Likes

I’ve had the same issue with きみの名は. Having not seen the movie, I’m now finding myself flying through pages as the story has reached its climax. I was pretty good at controlling myself for the first half of the book as it was really useful for me to read a little slower, take the time to add words I don’t know to Anki, etc.

But for the last few chunks of reading, I’ve flown through in 30 minutes or less - and while I’m absolutely comprehending the plot, I am undoubtedly missing subtle details, new words/nuances to learn, etc.

The only reason I haven’t flown through and finished the entire book is that I’m currently reading two other books at the same time, and working full-time, and trying to squeeze in some more advanced grammar study/SRS/etc. :sob: I’m going to try to take it a little slower with the next book as well.

1 Like