Intermediate Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: セーラー服と機関銃

I’m usually pretty busy most of the year then painfully free June-August so I’d prefer to do コンビニ人間 since it seems we would be done in that time and I can’t guarantee I’ll always be available afterwards (plus it’s the one I voted for so it makes sense).
But I don’t mind helping with Haruhi during that time or if at some point someone isn’t available but I am.
I’ve never done this before so mistakes will be made

Edit: I was checking to buy Haruhi in ebookjapan but I think the link isn’t right. Would it be this one instead? Though it looks like it’s the furigana version.

5 Likes

I think this is the regular version but I could be wrong (checking on my phone).

1 Like

Yeah, that looks like the correct one. I hadn’t been able to find it, thanks!

Edit: I put the links in the OP hopefully they are OK

3 Likes

So I edited the OP, would appreciate anyone checking if things are fine though!

Wasn’t able to find a furigana version for Conbini woman though. Not that I looked too long. :eyes:

4 Likes

The new links look good to me. :+1:

3 Likes

Thanks for checking :slight_smile:

For 「コンビニ人間」, I already own the hardback version, so once someone has the paperback in hand, I can help coordinate page differences, if any. Looking at those Amazon links, it says the hardback is 160 pages, but the actual story ends on 151, followed by several pages of ads for other books.

1 Like

I just bought the ebook version (of the paperback edition) and while usually ebooks are totally unreliable wrt page layouts because of font sizes, it seems that in the browser it shows me the actual pages of the book?! \o/

These are the first three pages, maybe you can compare them to the hardcover version and somebody else can compare them to the non-ebook version? (That would be super-helpful for me when referring to pages.)

Pages

I didn’t take a look at the sample before, and I’m amused now to see that the book literally starts with describing all of the (normally filtered out) sounds of a convenience store. I’ve been in close relationships with a couple of people on autism spectrum (including my current partner), and that rings so true, heh.

2 Likes

I think I read in some review that the protagonist is on the autism spectrum as well. Would be interesting to get a comparison from you!

It doesn’t align with the hardback. The line height is a little different.

HB page 3 ends with 確認すると、手元
HB page 4 ends with the あー、あと quote (middle of your page 7).

Yeah, that’s why I mentioned. In particular, my partner has a lot of audio processing problems, both in the “too many sounds” sense and the “lip-reading and using subtitles even though ears are physically fine” sense.

If you’re interested in a mini, slower book club thread for that lmk! I plan to read it over the summer

2 Likes

most definitely. I’m reading quite a few books at the moment, so I think slower would definitely be good for me, especially if there’s other book clubs going on on the side.
It’s just that reading with other people keeps me motivated :wink:

2 Likes

made a thread! Honestly I don’t know what kind of pace I’m going to read at since I’ll be reading conbini at the same time, so I didn’t post a schedule template or anything. But my personal goal is to finish by the end of August.

5 Likes

Wow that was fast! I think we can just all read at our own pace and just discuss as we go. But I think August is a good deadline.
Thank you :smiley:

2 Likes

Thanks @Belerith @Sylph and @tessberg for editing the OP!

Ok, that pretty much settles it, then! I can take care of Haruhi and @Ditto20 and @MissMisc can cover when someone isn’t available (if that ok, of course!)

About mistakes, don’t worry too much, I had to panic edits the first three weeks I was taking care of Kino :joy:

8 Likes

Went there and clicked the poll. This year is the year I read all the things :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

If 魔法使いの嫁 is one of those things, do tell how it is in terms of difficulty/ obscure vocab

1 Like

Honestly even if you don’t understand a single word, the drawings are beautiful enough to almost warrant buying it just to immerse yourself in the world that manage to display so much character with every panel.

100% recommend getting a physical copy :+1:

4 Likes