Intermediate Japanese Book Club (Currently reading: 博士の愛した数式)

Did you just do that because you didn’t like the cover…?

1 Like

Guess that means we’re going to have to fight then! Q(o_oQ)

…er… I thought we were the Weird About Our Books Club?! Don’t judge me! :see_no_evil:

I also don’t think I’m anywhere close to being ready to tackle a full-on book of that length without furigana, and I like pictures!

@neicul you could probably just copy and paste the nomination from the Beginners’ Club (maybe tweak the pros/cons).

3 Likes

One of the reasons I think Kino’s Journey would be a great pick is because it seems to have a good balance with furigana. Plus it’s not too long. I think personally it would make for a great transitionary book to go from beginner to intermediate.

1 Like

Nath or I will nominate it if you don’t want to.

1 Like

Kino no Tabi - キノの旅

Summary

In Kino’s Journey , the protagonist, Kino, accompanied by a talking motorcycle named Hermes, travels through a mystical world of many different countries and forests, each unique in its customs and people. They only spend three days and two nights in every town, without exception, on the principle that three days is enough time to learn almost everything important about a place, while leaving time to explore new lands.

Availability

Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.jp/キノの旅-Beautiful-World-電撃文庫-時雨沢-ebook/dp/B00O4QK3IK/
Ebook: https://www.ebookjapan.jp/ebj/262492/

Personal Opinion

I didn’t read it yet but I really want to. Bought it while in Japan as I heard great things about it and about the difficulty. Extra: have @MissMisc’s opinion:

That being said, reading the sample I posted below, I think people around N2 should be fine on their own, so it would be challenging at N4-N3, but that’s what makes it a good learning target for the club, I think.

Pros and Cons for the Book Club

Pros

• Word list available on floflo (and soon Kitsun), and the word count is quite low (i.e. not too much vocab to look up)
  • Each chapter seems to be self-contained, so it’s easier for people to skip ahead to catch up with the group.
  • Good length for the intermediate club (slightly over 200 pages of text)

Cons

• Self-contained chapters mean that character progression may be slow or non-existent.

Pictures

First Three Pages of Chapter One

Additional Pages

About two pages per screenshot

Difficulty Poll

How much effort would you need to read this book?

• No effort at all
  • Minimal effort
  • Just right
  • Challenging
  • Impossible, even with everyone’s help
  • I don’t know (please click this if you’re not voting seriously)

0 voters

100% copy paste from @Naphthalene’s post with some adjustments :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

That’s my dog’s name.

Instantly has my vote

:eyes:

2 Likes

I thought you said you never read Harry Potter :wink:

There’s several notes in there about the nomination being for the beginner book club. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I had to google to get the reference

And I haven’t. I gave him the name “Hermes” because of the Greek God. My other dog is Kronos :joy:

4 Likes

Yeah, that looks like the one nomination I could probably manage at the moment. So long as it wins at some point within the next year I don’t mind when :wink:

2 Likes

If it doesn’t win I’m gonna pull a 時をかける少女 and threaten to read it on my own. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Fixed it I guess :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Some of it at least. :wink:

This is new.

I see!

3 Likes

@neicul Change the N3 into N2 and N4 into N3, and we’re all set!

3 Likes

I already changed quite some stuff after that comment but specially for you, here goes! :smiley:

4 Likes

:see_no_evil: what have I done.

3 Likes

It actually sounds like a fun enough story, it was just funny in context :wink:

1 Like

I’ve been wanting to watch this show, with no real place I want to watch it, so oooh!
although I have a bias against books that start chapter one with a lengthy description of a female character. Though that seems to be the majority of them. Haruhi only waits like 6 pages : p

2 Likes