Intermediate Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: セーラー服と機関銃

I don’t think it’s terribly important to read in order if it’s only loosely connected. I just wanted to double check!

2 Likes

But you guys know what I’ve been thinking about today, is that for the Night market book I can’t believe the protagonist sold his brother to yokai and then thought, “Actually I’ve been feeling kind of bad about that so I think I’ll go and get him back” like what? :joy:

4 Likes

After something like 4 years, at that?

2 Likes

Yeah, you’d think he’d either be a person to not sell his little brother, or someone who just had no conscience at all. I wonder what compelled him to do that in the first place if he’d feel bad about it later.

I wonder what he’ll say to his brother if he gets him back too. “My bad bro. Won’t happen again.”

5 Likes

So now that I actually read (most of) the sample pages, it wasn’t too bad. I wonder if it gets harder or if what I heard about the difficulty is just wrong. I imagine it could get harder if/when it actually gets into a bunch of supernatural stuff. But again based on the sample, I think I’d be up for reading it.

3 Likes

I was curious enough that I was flipping through the book and reading random pages, and I don’t think so. But it looked like that site was judging difficulty based in unique-kanji/words-per-5000-characters? And in that case, like, the first bits with him listing off various sci-fi things might skew that a bit. But I don’t know, just guessing.

1 Like

Funny thing is, I knew all the sci-fi terms. Guess that reveals a bit about my interests, huh?

Anyway, I read through about half of the samples tonight. I’ll look at the rest tomorrow on a fresh mind.

3 Likes

Seeee, I also know them, but partly because I’ve known Haruhi’s introduction speech by heart for about 10 years.
…which says something completely different about me.

5 Likes

今から三ヶ月前、父が母を刺し殺して捕まった。
The f did I just read

Welp, it sets the tone, I guess :rofl:

3 Likes

I hate when that happens.

11 Likes

Ah, yeah. I’ve read the prologue twice already but not for several months, so I forgot about that.

1 Like

困ったね〜

6 Likes

I guess you haven’t watched a Netflix show about women of a certain monetary value.

2 Likes

I haven’t watched anything Netflix ever :confused: So I assume that’s true.

Well, there’s also a manga, but I haven’t read that (yet).

A Netflix show has a manga? :open_mouth:
Or is a based on a manga, I guess? :thinking:

1 Like

You guessed correctly, although it is still unusual.

1 Like

What show/manga are you talking about though..?

Million Yen Women

Not really a spoiler (only of the first episode), but I guess it is kind of related to the story in general.

Sherlock has a manga. The Benedict Cumberbatch one.

It’s Japanese with the English written in the margins, and the font is ugly.

3 Likes