Intermediate Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: セーラー服と機関銃

I’d be interested in those and the No Game No Life LNs too… if anyone knows the difficulty levels of those…

2 Likes

Yup, to put it simply in comparing them Re:Zero is more difficult than No.6. Re:Zero does have a lot of furigana all over but the vocab is going for that more specifically fantasy oriented feel. You can read a sample of the start of Vol 1 here:

It’s the 無料サンプル on the side. It’s not like…Log Horizon hard. That bit they give to sample is pretty reflective of the whole series.

If we’re comparing it to No.6 again, No.6 is maybe a little easier in my opinion. I tend to think that the language in No.6 is just so simple. NGNL is in a similar boat as Re:Zero with it having more specifically fantasy oriented vocab but I would also say it eventually gets…a little harder than Re:Zero with certain parts? Because they begin to start talking rules/government/etc. But it also uses a lot of furigana. I’m not joking. It’s slightly jarring.

Like, here’s a sample:

Again on the right side under 無料サンプル. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be starting out haha If you liked the anime I strongly suggest reading the novels. I think the anime only goes up through Vol 3 and there’s so. much. more. His writing style is something else lol

(also yes, Amazon JP pretty much 180-ed with their friendliness towards global buying :sob: No longer friendly at all really)

No sample need (I already bought all the currently released LNs … twice; thrice if English counts). I know that I can’t read them without a lot of effort; even for NO.6 I’m constantly looking up words and/or kanji. My question was rather intended to gauge the increase of effort if I’d wanted to start reading Re: Zero right now.

Let’s say that I’m still so bad, that I have to look up words for almost every sentence. And I’m not sure if I should create an Anki deck with all the new kanji/vocab or just read and learn them through Wani at a later point or recur in a book/game/whatever.

Awww… Thanks for confirming that!

(And without No. 6 myself, I don’t really know how to gauge it, but thanks for linking to a place with readable sample pages! ^_^)

You’re amazing. As always. ^^

(Well, my other series is full of specialized language too… Should do my HouHou again and go back to mining it… I meant to add 10 new words a week, but I’ve only got the initial 15. XD)

For the 2nd books listed, is there a way to find the authors – except for Murakami? I’ve just been lurking here and it’s always nice to see what book are being read… I’m especially trying to find Autumn Prison and Door D for the authors.

Edit: oop forgot to add the classic club

I’m sure if you google it, it should come up but the author to Door D is 山田悠介 (Yamada Yuusuke), Autumn prison’s is 恒川 光太郎 and Classic club is Honobu Yonezawa

I used Amazon.jp. I had to buy a new copy of just the first volume, as this was the only option (at least that I could find) that shipped through Amazon and, therefore, would ship to the US.

Considering that cost around $13 with shipping, I am definitely opting for Kindle versions from now on, barring a particularly good deal on a physical copy.

SPOILER ALERT PAGE 2!!! (don’t know how to do the spoiler tag srry)

In the second page of the book the word 眼い is use often but I can’t find what it’s mean. 眼 is the kanji of eyeball. Can someone give me the definition and the reading pls?

Thx a lot

Looks like you’ve mixed up your kanji. They do look really similar.

眠い (ねむい) - sleepy
眠り(ねむり) - sleep/sleeping

(And I wouldn’t really call that a spoiler–it’s just one word, after all.)

You’re right thx for the help. It’s not really a spoiler indeed but I just wanted to be cautious

Thanks! I did try to google it in English, but only thing that came up for Door D, is a lot of Home Depot and Door Replacement sites. lol Thanks a bunch

2 Likes

@icefang97 Also, if you’re not already doing so, there is a separate discussion post about No.6 if you want to post stuff without fear of spoiling plot points for those who haven’t begun reading.

thx I didn’t know that

Hmm… The one I was looking at was also new, but I didn’t see a way to ship to the US. Did I just not look well enough?

Well, if it says “Fulfilled by Amazon,” that’s your best bet. Let me get you a link though…here’s the one I bought. On the page it says “Delivers to the United States,” so if this doesn’t work, I dont know what will.

That is the exact one I bought but I couldn’t figure out how to ship it to myself. Was I supposed to select a specific option or something? It wouldn’t allow me to put my zip code in.

Hmmm…no idea then, sorry. When you order it, it has you select a shipping address, right? At which point you would find out whether or not it ships to that address. I don’t know about entering a zip code or anything.

It’s okay, no need to apologize. :slight_smile:

Yes, that’s what I’m talking about. When I’m entering my shipping address, the postal code field does not allow me to put in the correct number of digits. I assume because it’s expecting a Japanese postal code.

Okay. Maybe this will help?

So, log in to your Amazon.jp account. For this, I’m switching it to the English interface because that’s easier.

Then go to Your Account >

Addresses
Then Add Address
And select United States in the Country field.
From there, you should be able to enter your address no problem.

Does that help at all?

(And Rose is actually my middle name – made a new account for this in case the setup is different between new and existing accounts, though it seems to be the same process either way.)

1 Like

Yes, that helps IMMENSELY! Thank you so much for taking the time to do that for me. I will try it that way next time I need to order something.

Very much appreciated! :yellow_heart:

1 Like