Intermediate Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: セーラー服と機関銃

I’m not actually suuuuuper excited about reading it, but I do already own it (and wolf children) so I voted for them.
But I also voted for things I don’t own so I’m officially a better person than @seanblue and @Kyayna

7 Likes

Well, a more adventurous person, let’s say :thinking:

2 Likes

A person with a fuller bank account :joy: (or living closer to a Japanese bookshop :yum:)

7 Likes

I moved my vote from being the sole voter on ‘The Familiar of Zero’ to break the tie.
Sorry, light novel of an anime that I watched over a decade ago episode 1 of on YouTube (seperated in like, six different videos).

4 Likes

I’m just trying to diligently read what I’ve already bought! :pensive:

5 Likes

You can always read it in your spare time between book clubs :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

What spare time? I don’t think I could handle two non-children’s books at the same time.

3 Likes

The spare time you get from not having to read Your Name if it wins :shushing_face:

8 Likes

I know I’m not going to have much free time October onwards, so I decided to abstain from voting this time around and skip a book. However, I already own both of the books currently leading the polls, and it will be difficult to resist.
Dammit book club, stop trying to lead me astray! :stuck_out_tongue:

11 Likes

Readings books is not astray!

6 Likes

Yeah. This is astray:
https://images.app.goo.gl/TJUtvnDs88Nefh7u9

6 Likes

Oooouuuuchhh
No likes for that

3 Likes

Yay Your Name leading :slight_smile: I have the green kids book but does anyone know how the ”real” version is different? Just furigana? Does it matter which one to read? I think floflo has the green bunko version.

1 Like

Come to the book club side of the force. We have Japanese light novel and manga. I know you can’t resist our power.:smiling_imp:

3 Likes

But if it wins, Your Name being close to winning but losing anyway will stop being a meme :cry:
Don’t do it! Think of the memes!

6 Likes

Not voting this time as I am pathologically unable to keep up. Too busy and distractible. Magazine articles about 日本酒 are about my limit right now*. I will probably buy a copy of whatever wins, assuming I can find it in Bookoff. Then I can fail to read that one as well.

*If anyone wants to join a magazine article reading club let me know. I’m finding good stuff all the time right now and not all about 日本酒。

4 Likes

By the way, I checked for fun and, out of 6 polls, Your Name was second 4 times, and technically 3rd the last time but that still means “first loser”, since we decided to read two books.

Well, it looks like voting is down to a dribble, so I’ll probably close the poll in 24h.

7 Likes

oooh. whats this about a magazine reading club? are these online magazines/articles?

I love the support of the reading groups but I don’t have time to read 15 pages of a book every week, but I can squeeze in an article or two every week. Plus there’s loads of stuff online. I tend to read stuff (in Japanese at least) that is about Food, drink, design and travel. I’d read some science and tech stuff if someone were to point me in the right direction.

You don’t really have to delete your post. People pointed out the same thing before, sometimes in even harsher words, and I don’t think they deleted their post. :sweat_smile:

At the end of the day, I feel it’s less about enjoying the material than finding something that you can learn from. For a lot of people, I guess knowing the source material would be a huge help to understand what’s going on, making it a easier read regardless of actual difficulty.

4 Likes